Winter Survival

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
wtf?!:lmao: Is there a TP shortage in the winter here? Or do they run in the stores and wipe out all the TP like a hurricane is coming? :lmao:

thanks for the tips!

That is exactly what it's like! The weatherman hints at snow and the supermarkets are wall to wall with fearful shoppers scooping up everything in sight. I lived in North Dakota and northern Wisconsin as well as Upper Michigan. We regularily had terrible blizzards and it was never such an event as a possible 1" accumulation is here.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
That is exactly what it's like! The weatherman hints at snow and the supermarkets are wall to wall with fearful shoppers scooping up everything in sight. I lived in North Dakota and northern Wisconsin as well as Upper Michigan. We regularily had terrible blizzards and it was never such an event as a possible 1" accumulation is here.

Wait until she sees what they cancel school over!!

Sweet 16

^^8^^
If you don't have 4WD and must drive in snow, keep a large container of kitty litter (NOT the scoopable kind) in your trunk. It weighs your car down and you can put it under your tires for traction if you get stuck. It doesn't work on ice though so don't even try.

For big ice storms (the 1/4" to 1/2" kind), I use spray-on ice melt so I don't have to spend time and gas cleaning ice off my car windows. Also, a long-handled broom to clean the snow and ice frisbees off your car roof. Other drivers will appreciate this.

Wiping dryer sheets on clothes and hair will reduce or eliminate static cling.

Good luck this Winter. If you're lucky, it won't be too bad, but you never know around here.

If you don't have 4WD and must drive in snow, keep a large container of kitty litter (NOT the scoopable kind) in your trunk. It weighs your car down and you can put it under your tires for traction if you get stuck. It doesn't work on ice though so don't even try.

For big ice storms (the 1/4" to 1/2" kind), I use spray-on ice melt so I don't have to spend time and gas cleaning ice off my car windows. Also, a long-handled broom to clean the snow and ice frisbees off your car roof. Other drivers will appreciate this.

Wiping dryer sheets on clothes and hair will reduce or eliminate static cling.

Good luck this Winter. If you're lucky, it won't be too bad, but you never know around here.

:lmao:

R

Rienell

Kitty litter thing is a good idea. I'll try that.. I got a little economy car.

LOVE the cat pic! :lmao:

wtf?!:lmao: Is there a TP shortage in the winter here? Or do they run in the stores and wipe out all the TP like a hurricane is coming?

Worse if there is even a mention of snow............. you can't find any bread, milk, eggs, or batteries in the stores!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
wtf?!:lmao:Is there a TP shortage in the winter here? Or do they run in the stores and wipe out all the TP like a hurricane is coming? :lmao:

thanks for the tips!

:killingme

That's exactly what it's like! Maybe worse!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Wait until she sees what they cancel school over!!

:lmao: OR worse - early dismissal as the first flakes start falling... :jameo:

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
:lmao: OR worse - early dismissal as the first flakes start falling... :jameo:

Then the Fed Government releases all workers early starting the rush hour about 3 hours early during the worst of the accumulation, there is gridlock leaving DC. You finally break through the traffic 2 hours later and by the time you get home the snow has stopped and the tiny accumulation is melting away by the second. Silly as it is, this is played out time after time by all parties. It's gonna snow :jameo:It's gonna snow! :jameo:It's gonna snow!!:jameo:

R

Rienell

yeah, but only non-essential personnel. pisses me off cause if I have to risk my life to come in and do something that really isn't essential...I would think they should provide me with a snow-plow to drive.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Kitty litter thing is a good idea. I'll try that.. I got a little economy car.

LOVE the cat pic! :lmao:

Don't weigh down the back of the car if you have front wheel drive.. kind of defeats the purpose of having Front Wheel Drive.

R

Rienell

I'm really trying to see the physics of that in my head.... but the dendrites just aren't firing quick enough since my coffee buzz wore off. I was thinking the sandbags were for traction... but I can see how that would effect steering effectivness too in FWD.

Crap, I got factory low profile tires too... I bet that is even worse in the snow. :confused:

Maybe I'll live through winter if I drive a cement truck.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I'm really trying to see the physics of that in my head.... but the dendrites just aren't firing quick enough since my coffee buzz wore off. I was thinking the sandbags were for traction... but I can see how that would effect steering effectivness too in FWD.

You open the bags and dump the sand/kitty litter under your wheels when you get stuck. :rolleyes:

R

Rienell

:dork: ok. I gotta laugh at myself on that one. :biggrin: Give me a break, I've lived in Florida, Louisiana and Texas my whole life. We don't have such environmental worries down south. I was thinking the litter was to add weight to the axle for traction.