Winter Tires

Petter Solberg

I spent 7 years driving through the winters of the midwest and I also never got stuck or crashed or spun out. Have you ever driven with a set of snow and ice tires? Apparently not. Modern tire technology does make all the difference in the world in how a car performs on a race track, on the road, in mud and gravel, and in the snow. I opted to purchase a set of snow and ice tires for the few days of actual snow that Southern Maryland receives due to the fact that my other two sets of tires are strictly high performance summer tires that provide next to no traction in the snow.

Pete said:
This is ridiculous :rolleyes: Perhaps in the old days of bias ply high powered rear wheel drive cars it made a little difference but geez oh Me :rolleyes: If you carheads get your jollies off shucking out $$ just for the heck of it go for it. I spent 14 winters in Maine, Maine for Me sake and rarely did you ever see snow/ice/studded tires and that weather is 1,000 times worse than any wussy SOMD weather. 14 years with all season tires on cars and trucks and I NEVER got stuck or crashed or spun out.

Pete

Repete
Petter Solberg said:
I spent 7 years driving through the winters of the midwest and I also never got stuck or crashed or spun out. Have you ever driven with a set of snow and ice tires? Apparently not. Modern tire technology does make all the difference in the world in how a car performs on a race track, on the road, in mud and gravel, and in the snow. I opted to purchase a set of snow and ice tires for the few days of actual snow that Southern Maryland receives due to the fact that my other two sets of tires are strictly high performance summer tires that provide next to no traction in the snow.
So your suggestion is off point with regards to what APS asked. He has all season light truck tires and asked about winter snow/ice tires. You swap tires because you do not have all season, you have racing tires. Big difference.

Yes I have driven with snow/ice tires both studded and not and I saw/felt no difference at all.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Pete said:
So your suggestion is off point with regards to what APS asked. He has all season light truck tires and asked about winter snow/ice tires. You swap tires because you do not have all season, you have racing tires. Big difference..
Thinking about getting some larger wheels and low(er) profile tires for summer use and using the current rims for winter tires. Don't like the way the sidewalls on the truck tires flex. Driving home from the dealer on Monday, the steering felt like it was wandering. Got home and checked the pressure and they had 28.5 psi. Now have 36 psi front and 34 psi rear. Feels much better.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pete said:
So your suggestion is off point with regards to what APS asked. He has all season light truck tires and asked about winter snow/ice tires. You swap tires because you do not have all season, you have racing tires. Big difference.

Yes I have driven with snow/ice tires both studded and not and I saw/felt no difference at all.
There's two things that studded tires are good for.. The humming noise they make while driving down the road, and the UNBELIEVABLE amount of damage they do to roads, and parking lots.

I too have survived MANY a winter in New England, on the border of Maine and NH to be exact, and driving almost daily to Brunswick/ Topsham area. NEVER owned a pair of snow tires, and have driven with snow above the center line of my wheels. Of course I wasn't driving 80 MPH that day either. Have never been in an accident due to snow and ice, and even drove an OMNI GLH with Eagle GT VR195/50's with no problem.

If you have a rear wheel drive, like a VAN or a two wheel drive pick-up, I would probably get snow tires, other then that, no way, waste of money.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
itsbob said:
If you have a rear wheel drive, like a VAN or a two wheel drive pick-up, I would probably get snow tires, other then that, no way, waste of money.
Just got s 2WD Nissan pickup. No LSD, so it's actually 1WD. Never bothered with with winter tires on FWD cars or previous pickups.

More info on "Winter" tires

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:
I would just put some weight in the back. Modern all season radial tires do fine in the non-winters we get here.

Petter Solberg

Many modern snow and ice tires do not use studs. My Dunlop graspic snow and ice tires have slit blocks made of silicone. They are very effective on snow and ice and are much better than any all season tire that I have used.

itsbob said:
There's two things that studded tires are good for.. The humming noise they make while driving down the road, and the UNBELIEVABLE amount of damage they do to roads, and parking lots.

Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Don't forget to check the air pressure in your tires. The cold weather has dropped the presssure in them by several psi.

Petter Solberg

Yeah, I think they say -1 psi for every 10 degrees the temperature drops.

aps45819 said:
Don't forget to check the air pressure in your tires. The cold weather has dropped the presssure in them by several psi.

willie

Petter......what is your avatar? It looks like the brushes in your generator are bouncing.

Petter Solberg

It is a horizontally-opposed engine such as the engine in my Subaru.

willie said:
Petter......what is your avatar? It looks like the brushes in your generator are bouncing.

Last edited:

Petter Solberg

Guess it could be, although I got the avatar from a Subaru site which may have gotten it from a BMW bike site, which may have gotten it from a Porsche site.

aps45819 said:
Thought it was a BMW bike engine.