Woods At Myrtle Point

Curious99

Anyone buying in Woods at Myrtle Point should be careful. The original New York developer went under in the 1980s. After his bankruptcy the site was owned by the Resolution Trust Corp. and later the FDIC. The County acquired the 200 acre waterfront portion as Myrtle Point Park and PF Summers acquired 300 acres. Summers went under in 2008 after building 20 houses or so and this site could also be Stanly Martin’s Waterloo – it should never have been developed.
The land consists of fine sand and is highly erodible; once the topsoil is removed it flows very easily. It’s expensive to develop and that is why some sites have concrete walls to hold the houses in place.
Before buying, ask one of the families that live there why most of the street lights have been turned off. Also ask the real estate agent to see the plans for the townhouse development. A mean, ugly, quick-buck dense pack without room for a swing set or teeter totter.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Anyone buying in Woods at Myrtle Point should be careful. The original New York developer went under in the 1980s. After his bankruptcy the site was owned by the Resolution Trust Corp. and later the FDIC. The County acquired the 200 acre waterfront portion as Myrtle Point Park and PF Summers acquired 300 acres. Summers went under in 2008 after building 20 houses or so and this site could also be Stanly Martin’s Waterloo – it should never have been developed.
The land consists of fine sand and is highly erodible; once the topsoil is removed it flows very easily. It’s expensive to develop and that is why some sites have concrete walls to hold the houses in place.
Before buying, ask one of the families that live there why most of the street lights have been turned off. Also ask the real estate agent to see the plans for the townhouse development. A mean, ugly, quick-buck dense pack without room for a swing set or teeter totter.
You're not very successful bashing developers are you? http://forums.somd.com/news-current-events/223772-fdr-boondoggle-boulevard.html#post4536588 There are more important things to worry over yanno. :popcorn:

ltown81

Sounds like one of the local greenies who live near the development that have fought it tooth and nail. It would certainly be cheaper to develop if the developers were not having MDE called in every time a bucket full of silt runs the wrong way.

People need to realize that the land WILL be developed, and fighting every company tooth and nail untill they go out of business does nothing but drag it out, and make it more miserable for the neighbors and the people who buy there.

And no..I have nothing to do with any company or interest there.

CrashTest

But you are amoung those who has to stop at the new traffic light on Rt4 because the brainiacs in Leonardtown keep issuing new building permits without any consideration as to whether or not the current road infrastructure can handle it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Sounds like one of the local greenies who live near the development that have fought it tooth and nail. It would certainly be cheaper to develop if the developers were not having MDE called in every time a bucket full of silt runs the wrong way.

People need to realize that the land WILL be developed, and fighting every company tooth and nail untill they go out of business does nothing but drag it out, and make it more miserable for the neighbors and the people who buy there.

And the same crowd that talked the county into buying the point, touting all its possible uses as a park, then flipped once the deal was done and insisted that it be retained in its pristine state, although it hasn't been pristine since who knows when, having been a farm. Biggest shell game run in the county for decades. Until now, what with the Lex Park Redevelopment being planned to hook Millison up by subsidizing the revamp of all the out of date facilities.

Curious99

ltown81

But you are amoung those who has to stop at the new traffic light on Rt4 because the brainiacs in Leonardtown keep issuing new building permits without any consideration as to whether or not the current road infrastructure can handle it.

I think anyone who has ever tried to leave Patuxent Blvd, or almost hit someone pulling out in front of them knows a light is needed there. That was before they even started building out the "Woods"

CrashTest

I think anyone who has ever tried to leave Patuxent Blvd, or almost hit someone pulling out in front of them knows a light is needed there. That was before they even started building out the "Woods"

A traffic light won't fix Rt 4. Maybe more building permits will?

glhs837

Power with Control
A traffic light won't fix Rt 4. Maybe more building permits will?

The only thing that's going to "fix" route 4 is a redesign to accommodate the amount of traffic on it, and to not allow crossovers. Same basic thing they did with Chancellors Run. We refuse to train drivers, and when they screw up, we call it an accident, and refuse to punish those who drive poorly. So we must now make roads idiot proof, since we refuse to fix the idiots.

And maybe the new guys can make a profit, since i assume they got a smoking deal. Market comes back up at all, they might do okay. Maybe not, but business is about taking a risk:)

glhs837

Power with Control
I drove down there last night. Looks like Stanley Martin has already bailed. I guess these guys think they can turn a profit.

The Woods at Myrtle Point | Curtis Homes

Hmmm, looks like they bought just the "developed" section, there are still 2 183 acres parcels that PF Summers still owns, but Curtis bought the section thats done in a lot of separate transactions, some open multi acre parcels not yet broken into lots (3.8 acres for 508K, 2.6 acres for 503K, some lots with house they got for the mid 200s and turned and sold for mid-high threes, 1/4 lots with no houses on them yet.

So if Pf Summers took the whole thing as a loss, then Curtis got a good enough deal to make money, provided they can sell the houses, which it appears they are. 2,800 square feet on a dead end road surrounded by woods, for the mid 300s? Some folks will still jump on that, I suppose.

CrashTest

Hmmm, looks like they bought just the "developed" section, there are still 2 183 acres parcels that PF Summers still owns, but Curtis bought the section thats done in a lot of separate transactions, some open multi acre parcels not yet broken into lots (3.8 acres for 508K, 2.6 acres for 503K, some lots with house they got for the mid 200s and turned and sold for mid-high threes, 1/4 lots with no houses on them yet.

So if Pf Summers took the whole thing as a loss, then Curtis got a good enough deal to make money, provided they can sell the houses, which it appears they are. 2,800 square feet on a dead end road surrounded by woods, for the mid 300s? Some folks will still jump on that, I suppose.

I read about the dubious soil conditions down there years ago when I was shopping for a new crib. For me, I wouldn't pay a penny for a house that might be floating down the Patuxent River in a few years. And for the builder, there's usually long term structural warranties that they have to honor (if they want to stay in business). Good luck with that.

glhs837

Power with Control
Oh, hell, I wouldnt buy there:) As for the warranty thing, piffle, once the troubles start, you go under as that LLC and resurface later on as another company. When I was looking, I looked at a lot of models all over the county, and usually, under the initial prettiness, the work seemed sloppy to me, and floor layouts seemed more made to impress a buyer than work for living in. That was one factor in me buying a home built in the 80s vice a new one in a subdivision.

Curious99

More like truck loads of silt. Check out these pictures Woods At Myrtle Point Pictures I’m sure the waterman and folks downstream don’t appreciate it.