Would you do this? Camphost

Caveman314

OMG Some Best Western's you really are roughing it! I had driven from Corpus to Pensacola, arrived in P'cola around 0300 and was dead tried. I was suppose to stay with my befri but when we got to her house the AC was broke and it was 90 degrees inside. OH HELL NO. We packed her, my God Daughter up, told her hubs we were staying in a hotel. Went to Best Western and got a room. I had to bang the door open with my hips (yay thunder thighs!), stepped in and the room smelled of MOLD, saw roaches running around, and the door would not close! We left ASAP. Bleh.

I grew up in pensacola, And they're not roaches, they're palmetto bugs, which is southern for ' big ass flying roach that you can't get rid of'. Theyre totally harmless andnot at the same as those nastysmall german roaches. When we were growing up, my parents had a contract with the pest people to spray monthly, always kept the house clean and the dishes washed and food put away every evening and they would still be seen around the house. They eat rotting wood and cardboard, and in the humidity, there's a ton of that around. The only person in my neighborhood who ever was moderately successful at removing bugs from their house was the family that poured borax through the attic, and the next people that bought the house nearly died of Arsenic poisoning.

/cave

acommondisaster

I'd do it - if I was retired and bored as heck and felt like putting up with a bunch of demanding tourists who want everything NOW and are going to complain about how it's all MUCH better at the last place they vacationed.

On second thought....NO.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Last year I spent 4 months as a camp host in the George Washington National Forest. I got a site right on the banks of lake Moomaw. It's a decent sized lake at around 2,500 acres. I gave them 20 hours of work a week, roughly 3 hours a day. Here's my set up.

mm11 021.jpg

And some camp pics.

mm1 024 - Copy.jpg

sky.jpg

rainbow.jpg

No camp hosting for me this summer. I'm taking part in a much different adventure this time around.

Link for camp host: Camp Hosts

Volunteer to work in a (state, national) park. In exchange for lodging or a place to put an RV/trailer.

Budgets have been cut and many parks are relying on volunteer to fill in the gaps. Give them a few hours of work each week to be able to stay in the park.

Some parks even come with rustic cabins as accomodations. The picture is a 2 floor cabin used by the volunteers in a state park.

I am planning to do that when I retire. Not sure about the wife though. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Last year I spent 4 months as a camp host in the George Washington National Forest. I got a site right on the banks of lake Moomaw. It's a decent sized lake at around 2,500 acres. I gave them 20 hours of work a week, roughly 3 hours a day. Here's my set up.

]

Freaking awesome!