Xbox360 RRoD

Kerad

Is the intercooler worth it to try and fend off the RRoD?

No.

Everything I've read (and been told) about them said to stay away from them. The best you can do is make sure you don't place the Box inside an enclosed entertainment unit. The more air around it, the better.

Also, don't keep it on when you're not playing it.

Pete

Repete
No.

Everything I've read (and been told) about them said to stay away from them. The best you can do is make sure you don't place the Box inside an enclosed entertainment unit. The more air around it, the better.

Also, don't keep it on when you're not playing it.

:yay: It is by iteself on a shelf far away from the other stuff.

basher

LEET
what they should do is build the xbox360 case with some filters that keep the dust away from the insides. You should see how much dust accumulates in the heat sinks and fans, just like in a PC. We do dust and run air purifiers in our house, but you can't keep all the dust away from it.
Is it worth it to buy the Xbox Elite version just to get it in black and get a 120GB Hard Drive? They say the hard drive costs $179, I don't really download any movies and usually delete most of the demos after trying them out, so I don't need it. I guess if I really have to buy a new one (I think I will last only a week without one), I will have to deal with it being white and slap my Halo3 face plate on and my original 20GB hard drive that still works with my profile and all my achievements, games, demos and account settings.
Looking up prices at best buy:
Arcade $279
Premiium $349
Elite $449

At least I'll get those 6 classic Arcade games I've played millions of times before....like Pacman :bigwhoop:

Kerad

what they should do is build the xbox360 case with some filters that keep the dust away from the insides. You should see how much dust accumulates in the heat sinks and fans, just like in a PC. We do dust and run air purifiers in our house, but you can't keep all the dust away from it.
Is it worth it to buy the Xbox Elite version just to get it in black and get a 120GB Hard Drive? They say the hard drive costs $179, I don't really download any movies and usually delete most of the demos after trying them out, so I don't need it. I guess if I really have to buy a new one (I think I will last only a week without one), I will have to deal with it being white and slap my Halo3 face plate on and my original 20GB hard drive that still works with my profile and all my achievements, games, demos and account settings.
Looking up prices at best buy:
Arcade $279
Premiium $349
Elite $449

At least I'll get those 6 classic Arcade games I've played millions of times before....like Pacman :bigwhoop:

If you're fine with the 20GB hard drive, then you should stick with something cheaper than the Elite...especially if HDMI isn't a big deal to you. I want the bigger drive for the HD movie rentals, musice storage, etc..

The biggest reason for wanting an Elite (besides HD space) is that they are supposedly to be the first of the XBoxes to carry the new Falcon 65nm chipset on board...as opposed to the original, Zephyr 90nm chipset. Word is that all 360's will eventually have the new chipsets...but the elites would be the first released with it.

The 65nm is supposed to be a faster chip, but more importantly runs MUCH cooler than the old one.

It seems that the only way you can tell which chipset the 360 has installed (without opening the box) is to look at the UPC panel on the back of the box...to the left of the bottom right bar code is the power statistics. You'll want the one that says 175W...as opposed to 220W.

So,no matter which system you want, the thing to look for is that wattage difference.

Attachments

• falcon.jpg
    falcon.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 117

basher

LEET
The biggest reason for wanting an Elite (besides HD space) is that they are supposedly to be the first of the XBoxes to carry the new Falcon 65nm chipset on board...as opposed to the original, Zephyr 90nm chipset. Word is that all 360's will eventually have the new chipsets...but the elites would be the first released with it.

The 65nm is supposed to be a faster chip, but more importantly runs MUCH cooler than the old one.

It seems that the only way you can tell which chipset the 360 has installed (without opening the box) is to look at the UPC panel on the back of the box...to the left of the bottom right bar code is the power statistics. You'll want the one that says 175W...as opposed to 220W.

So,no matter which system you want, the thing to look for is that wattage difference.

Thanks for the info! I really didn't know about the new chip too....I only heard about all the other stuff. I will give you some green for that, some green karma that is :lmao:

Kerad

Thanks for the info! I really didn't know about the new chip too....I only heard about all the other stuff. I will give you some green for that, some green karma that is :lmao:

No problem...let us know if you find any of the new 175W 360's out there. :yay:

Pete

Repete
If you're fine with the 20GB hard drive, then you should stick with something cheaper than the Elite...especially if HDMI isn't a big deal to you. I want the bigger drive for the HD movie rentals, musice storage, etc..

I ditched the box and I cannot find a wattage listed on the back of the console.

Pete

Repete
Hmmm....maybe it's on the power brick somewhere?

I checked the brick it say output 203W. I removed the wireless bridge and found another tag and thought I found it but no wattage :ohwell:

If I were to guess I would say it had the new chipset because the old one used 220W and my power brick is only 203W.

Last edited:

Kerad

I checked the brick it say output 203W. I removed the wireless bridge and found another tag and thought I found it but no wattage :ohwell:

If I were to guess I would say it had the new chipset because the old one used 220W and my power brick is only 203W.

That would be my guess, as well. :yay:

I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't check mine, but I know I have the old chipset for sure.

Pete

Repete
That would be my guess, as well. :yay:

I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't check mine, but I know I have the old chipset for sure.

I did notice a lot of dust under there already:lol: I was actually thinking of mounting a small fan near the back of my TV stand. My 50 inch DLP has been arbitrarily shutting itself off then the lamp light blinks. It has to hold on until the home service guy shows in 2 weeks to replace the bulb. I thought a fan might keep the air circulating back there and extend the life of the TV and XBox. If it only blows the dust out it would be a bonus :lol:

basher

LEET

I went to Target yesterday and asked an associate to let me see the UPC symbols on the Elite and the Arcade versions (he gave me a funny look at first like wtf for?). The Arcade version had 203W and the Elite version had 175W, do both these have the new Falcon chipset? did the old chip use 220 or 203 I couldn't remember so I didn't buy anything....probably a good thing....because I did some researching on YouTube and found a bunch of different videos on how to solve the RRoD problem. The best one describes removing the XClamps that hold the heatsinks for the CPU and GPU on the bottom, and replacing them with some new machine screws, washers and nuts. I didn't do that since I didn't go to Lowes to look for the stuff, but I did try to tighten the heatsinks and push down on the clamps. I also followed their "bake video" where you heat up the system by opening up the system, keep the power and av cords plugged in (not into your tv), unplugging the fans and powering it on for 2 to 3 minutes. You'll notice your 3 Red Ring of death turn to 2 Red Ring.
explanation here:
Xbox 360: Two red lights flash on the Ring of Light
"This behavior occurs when the internal temperature of the console exceeds the acceptable limits. You may think of this as too hot, overheating, and so on."

so you unplug the console, let it cool for few minutes, turn it on, and everything is green. I actually played for a couple of hours last night without any problems.
Well, I'll see how long it takes before it craps out on me again....and go on to removing the XClamps.

Kerad

I looked at the box from my current 360 last night...it's a 203W...which matches what my power brick says.

Obviously Microsoft put out an "inbetween" version after the launch models had so many problems. I know for a fact my first one was an original, 220W model. This one I have now has lasted a lot longer than my original one...maybe due to the 203W difference.

I do know that the 175W chipset is the newest...so if you're going to buy a new XBox, I would wait until you can get one of those....if you can.

Last edited:

Kerad

I went to Target yesterday and asked an associate to let me see the UPC symbols on the Elite and the Arcade versions (he gave me a funny look at first like wtf for?). .

:lol:

Half the time you go to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc....the employee knows alot less about the products you're asking about than you do.