Yet Another Wreck!!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
:bs:
I can also say that this area has THEE most poorly designed traffic flow and commuter system that I have ever seen.

Designed?? Yr kidding right?...it just sorta "happened" over a couple of hundred years. It still does. Nobody actually "designs" anything around here.

Designed?? Yr kidding right?...it just sorta "happened" over a couple of hundred years. It still does. Nobody actually "designs" anything around here.

Well, they are, but by 1st year grads using Google maps and have never actually driven the roads they design.

BernieP

Resident PIA
:bs:

I have lived in a dozen states and overseas. I have lived in or around major cities and small towns. I can say... beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there are more accidents in this area then ANYWHERE I have lived (per capita of course)

I can also say that this area has THEE most poorly designed traffic flow and commuter system that I have ever seen.

I vote in favor the anecdotal as stated above.
I could also offer a profile of the driver most likely to be driving with head up arse - or chip on shoulder.
The, "I can do as I want, then complain the police have it out for me", type.
The don't feel compelled to follow rules or offer common courtesy. They rely on others driving defensively.

BTW, there was a pretty good accident southbound in front of the Jiffy Lube the other morning.
Two vehicles, lots of debris on the road, ambulance was taking at least one patient to the hospital - though that individual did walk to the stretcher.

officeguy

One reason we have these awful accidents in this area are the divided highways like 235 and 5 that have lots of unprotected crossovers and driveways. There are some things that could be changed but it would deprive some people of their private crossover and force them to go 1/2 mile up the road to the next turnaround.

glhs837

Power with Control
By all means... please tell me where I have lived so you can prove me wrong. I'll wait. :tap:

That's why I gave you the link, you know which places you have lived with lower crash rates per captia. You make the assertion, you bring the data. I'll provide data to support my side, but it's hard to rebut "Cause I said so" :)

Restitution

That's why I gave you the link, you know which places you have lived with lower crash rates per captia. You make the assertion, you bring the data. I'll provide data to support my side, but it's hard to rebut "Cause I said so" :)

Data is flawed in this case. Who knows how many fender benders and wrecks are even reported up to be included on any list?

All I know is that there are wrecks every.... single.... day (or pretty damned close to it) and I have never lived anywhere that I had to deal with, hear about, or read about daily crashes. Its insane even for the amount of traffic flow around here.

glhs837

Power with Control
Data is flawed in this case. Who knows how many fender benders and wrecks are even reported up to be included on any list?

All I know is that there are wrecks every.... single.... day (or pretty damned close to it) and I have never lived anywhere that I had to deal with, hear about, or read about daily crashes. Its insane even for the amount of traffic flow around here.

So, the most basic comparison could be drawn from population density from the different areas in question? What are those?

Part of the issue is that we have so little going on that virtually every single crash gets reported. And that we have so few major roads that crashes on them have a disproportionate impact on traffic. So, where else have you lived?

Just for interest. Population density

California, MD - 928 people per square mile
Lexington Park - 2068
Hollywood - 280

St Marys County - 146

Me, I live south of the base, and while I read about wrecks, relatively few happen near me. when I lived on Chancellors and it was two lanes, there was literally a crash every single week. After the rebuild, it's one every few months, if even that frequent.

BlueOx77

So, the most basic comparison could be drawn from population density from the different areas in question? What are those?

Part of the issue is that we have so little going on that virtually every single crash gets reported. And that we have so few major roads that crashes on them have a disproportionate impact on traffic. So, where else have you lived?

Just for interest. Population density

California, MD - 928 people per square mile
Lexington Park - 2068
Hollywood - 280

St Marys County - 146

Me, I live south of the base, and while I read about wrecks, relatively few happen near me. when I lived on Chancellors and it was two lanes, there was literally a crash every single week. After the rebuild, it's one every few months, if even that frequent.

I'm not sure where you got your numbers, and I see the point you're making. With 112,587 people in St. Mary's County and 372 square miles, that's 302 people per square mile. Plenty of people to make mistakes on the highway, every single day.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm not sure where you got your numbers, and I see the point you're making. With 112,587 people in St. Mary's County and 372 square miles, that's 302 people per square mile. Plenty of people to make mistakes on the highway, every single day.

From the Wiki and I see where it went wrong. Looks like that calculator includes both land and water area, and since that includes a LOT of water, it throws it all off, you are correct. And my point was counter to the thought that we have an excessive amount of crashes. I think we do not, but they are more visible because virtually every crash gets covered by the press.

BlueOx77

From the Wiki and I see where it went wrong. Looks like that calculator includes both land and water area, and since that includes a LOT of water, it throws it all off, you are correct. And my point was counter to the thought that we have an excessive amount of crashes. I think we do not, but they are more visible because virtually every crash gets covered by the press.

I agree. I don't think we have an extraordinary amount of crashes here locally. But we have two ambulance-chasing websites that post every car crash that they can so it creates a perception that our highways are Fury Road.

PeoplesElbow

We seem to have more than our fare share of wrecks compared to the other places that I have lived.

I spent some brief stints in Pittsburgh PA, and Miami FL and didn't see this many wrecks. The drivers in Miami are absolutely nuts though but for some reason seemed to wreck less.

glhs837

Power with Control
We seem to have more than our fare share of wrecks compared to the other places that I have lived.

I spent some brief stints in Pittsburgh PA, and Miami FL and didn't see this many wrecks. The drivers in Miami are absolutely nuts though but for some reason seemed to wreck less.

I would attribute that to the sheer amount of other places for wrecks to happen compared to here.

PeoplesElbow

I would attribute that to the sheer amount of other places for wrecks to happen compared to here.

I would say that statistically it should depend on throughput for a particular road. Road A has 100,000 cars/day and Road B has 200,000 cars/day, road B should have twice the accidents. If road A has the same number of accidents as road B then someone should be looking into why that is and can road A be made more like B.

glhs837

Power with Control
I would say that statistically it should depend on throughput for a particular road. Road A has 100,000 cars/day and Road B has 200,000 cars/day, road B should have twice the accidents. If road A has the same number of accidents as road B then someone should be looking into why that is and can road A be made more like B.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/tr...om-of-pile-for-accidents/stories/201408270017

Pittsburgh came in at number 187 and dropped in the overall ranks for the sixth consecutive year. Allstate determined that the typical driver here gets in a collision every 6.6 years, with the national average being one bang-up per decade.

Viewed another way, Pittsburghers were 51.3 percent more likely to be involved in a crash than the nation’s drivers as a whole.

PeoplesElbow

And it looks like MD/DC is worse

Among the few cities that fell below Pittsburgh in the 2014 America’s Best Drivers Report were Los Angeles, San Francisco, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and Boston — and, no surprise here, Philadelphia, which was the most unsafe city among those with 1 million or more inhabitants.

It isn't just a southern Maryland thing, here is a Reddit thread about Maryland drivers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/washingtondc/comments/2ob715/maryland_drivers_wtf/

Last edited:

Grumpy

I agree. I don't think we have an extraordinary amount of crashes here locally. But we have two ambulance-chasing websites that post every car crash that they can so it creates a perception that our highways are Fury Road.

:yay: