Your black best friend isn’t an “Unfamiliar Black

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"I’m getting more than a little annoyed with the self-righteous proclamations of conservatives that George Zimmerman’s been proven innocent of profiling by virtue of his acquittal on charges of manslaughter and murder. The evidence all points to Zimmerman becoming increasingly obsessed with the presence of black males at his apartment complex in the months leading up to Trayvon Martin’s death. Prior to April 2011, Zimmerman’s 911 calls were the work of the neighborhood busybody. For example, he called to report:

12 August 2004: “a male in a green Ford pickup”
20 August 2004: “an open garage door”
27 April 2005: another “open garage door”
17 March 2005: “pothole that is blocking the road”
21 September 2005: “a stray dog”
10 June 2009: “fire alarm going off”
7 September 2009: another “pothole in the road”
22 September 2009: “yellow bike … doing wheelies”

But starting in August of 2011, Zimmerman’s calls took on a decidedly different note. He reported:

3 August 2011: “[a] black male last seen wearing a white tank top and black shorts,” who he “believes … is involved in recent [burglaries]“
6 August 2011: “two black males … in their teens”
23 September 2011: yet another “open garage door,” but specifies reason for calling is “neighborhood watch [meeting] last night”
1 October 2011: “two black males … 20 – 30 [years old] in Chevy [possibly] Impala at the gate of the community,” about whom Zimmerman’s concerned because he “does not recognize [the subjects] or [vehicle] and is concerned due to recent burglaries”
29 January 2012: children “running and playing in the street”
2 February 2012: “[black male last seen wearing] black leather jacket, black hat, printed PJ pants [who] keeps going to [the same] location”

And then on 26 February 2012 he calls about Trayvon Martin. There’s a pattern here obvious to anyone without an investment in not seeing it. What began as annoying 911 operators with pointless complaints escalated to notifying the authorities any time he saw a black male he didn’t know. The argument that he’s not racist and wasn’t profiling is that he “mentored black children” and “had black friends” is beside the point, because it presumes that he’s an overt and deliberate racist. Those who make it claim victory when they demonstrate that he never wore a white hood or bedecked his body in Nazi ink.

I’ll grant that that Zimmerman didn’t pine for the days of short ropes and sturdy limbs.

I’ll grant that he didn’t dream of goose-stepping down the Champs-Élysées in his dress browns.

But I won’t grant that race didn’t color his judgment when it came to young black men with whom he wasn’t personally acquainted. From 3 August 2011 forward he’s increasingly — and almost exclusively — concerned with unfamiliar black males in his apartment complex. Maybe confirmation bias is more the problem here than racism, but the fact remains that the bias being confirmed is that young black males are suspects until proven otherwise. You can’t look at the 911 calls in the months immediately prior to the shooting and argue otherwise. (At least not honestly.) He transformed from a harmless nudnik into someone very concerned with the presence of unfamiliar black males, which at the very least means that by 11 August 2011 his worldview contained the category “Unfamiliar Black Male” and that the presence of people belonging to it warranted calling 911.

That’s indisputable. "

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Since all the burglaries in his neighborhood had been committed by young black males, it would only make sense to keep an eye out for unknown young black males walking around.

Maybe the problem is a culture that encourages young black males to be "gangsta"

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The evidence all points to Zimmerman becoming increasingly obsessed with the presence of black males at his apartment complex in the months leading up to Trayvon Martin’s death.

Because of all the B&Es and the fact that the culprits kept turning out to be young black males. Because of that, you mean?

donbarzini

Link to original article.

But I won’t grant that race didn’t color his judgment when it came to young black men with whom he wasn’t personally acquainted. From 3 August 2011 forward he’s increasingly — and almost exclusively — concerned with unfamiliar black males in his apartment complex. Maybe confirmation bias is more the problem here than racism, but the fact remains that the bias being confirmed is that young black males are suspects until proven otherwise. You can’t look at the 911 calls in the months immediately prior to the shooting and argue otherwise. (At least not honestly.) He transformed from a harmless nudnik into someone very concerned with the presence of unfamiliar black males, which at the very least means that by 11 August 2011 his worldview contained the category “Unfamiliar Black Male” and that the presence of people belonging to it warranted calling 911.

That’s indisputable. "

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Crashpupty

havoc is havoc
Wow, profiling really or just trying to better your community based on crime statistics. You should actually listen to the calls. Dispatch wants a description so a male turns into a black male not a case of profiling. When does the left stop the nonsense and address the problems they have caused and continue to do so in the black community. Stop trying to further the agenda, this was not racial. At best you had a very concerned protector of the community and a young man that was no stranger to fighting that came face to face on the wrong night at the wrong time. Was it avoidable by both parties yes, but it appears T was the aggressor on the face to face. Seems he had at least 4 minutes to retreat from confrontation yet chose not to. So isn't he just as much to blame? I know you won't understand the question, but the answer is yes he is.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Zimmerman was such a racist that he was angered about the beating a homeless black man.

In 2010

The media has tried to serve up an image of Zimmerman as a racist and wannabe cop who had some sort of close relationship with the police department. Now flashback to 2010, the video posted below shows an incident in which a drunk adolescent son of a Sanford police official attacked a homeless black man named Sherman Ware without provocation.

The Sanford police were sweeping the crime under the rug and very little was done about the incident. Ironically, the NAACP did nothing as well, but it was Zimmerman and his wife who started a “Justice for Sherman Ware” campaign. It was Zimmerman who succeeded in organizing the black community to get results and justice for Sherman Ware.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Since all the burglaries in his neighborhood had been committed by young black males, it would only make sense to keep an eye out for unknown young black males walking around.

You mean *gulp* profile???

It's nice how they label the neighborhood watch guy a busybody. :lmao:

mamatutu

mama to two
For the love of God! Dude! I seldom waste my time reading the endless stream of stories you post. Do you have anything to do besides scour the internet and share this crap? Just curious.

I like your phrase.."For the love of God!" Why aren't the authorities, government, and courts using a fine tooth comb for every crime (black/white, white/black, color/color) that goes on in this country, as they are in this case? Every crime is important, and every crime has a loss of some kind; especially bad when it is a life, or unsolved. But, good grief, this Zimmerman/Martin case has gone beyond the absurd and ridiculous. Both sides of this case have taken it beyond the pale to where it is now in orbit, as its own planet. Enough, already. I have contributed my own opinion on threads, but I am getting sick of it. Nothing any of us do or say will change anything until we all decide to unite together as equals; the premise on which our great country was founded. God bless and keep America!

Last edited:

dontknowwhy

I'll be more interested in watching the crime stats in his community NOW that it is very likely nobody is going to be as aggressive about protecting it