Your terms are acceptable, Neil.

SamSpade

I’ll bet most of ya complaining don’t know or care who Joe Rogan is, nor have you listened to his podcast. Your handlers tell you to rage, so rage you must.
You’re not wrong, at least as far as Rogan is concerned. I barely know who he is. I’ve NEVER liked Neil Young. My friends in the 70s called him “the man without a voice”. First song of his I ever heard was “After the Gold Rush” and I thought “is this Monty Python?”. It was one of the most awful things I’d ever heard.

I guess people like it. Years later he was asked what it meant. He answered “I have no idea”.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

HemiHauler

🤪🤪 you people are complete dolts. Canceled himself. This is precisely what he asked for/wanted.

It’s of zero consequence to me, as I have everything from his catalog worth owning on vinyl anyway. There are some stinkers not really worth owning. If y’all have any taste at all, check out his collaborations with JJ Cale.

HemiHauler

I guess people like it. Years later he was asked what it meant. He answered “I have no idea”.

I have read plenty of interviews with musicians over the years. Often times, the interviewer will ask what is meant by a particular song or lyric, etc. The answer is almost invariably: “whatever you want it to mean.” and a direct answer to the question is avoided. Dee Snider said essentially the same thing when he testified in front of Congress regarding Tipper Gore’s PMRC - I forget the exact quote.

And that is what I always the point of music was. A metaphor. Something to make one think. Sure there is plenty of straight ahead story telling a la Johnny Cash but like a good book the story is rarely the words printed on the page.

I certainly understand the objection to Neil’s voice. Just as I understand the objection to Bob Dylan’s voice or Janis Joplin or Jimi Hendrix etc. But wouldn’t deprive myself of great story telling or guitar wizardry or whatever it is an act brings to the table just because of a voice. There is either a story to be told or there is not.

SamSpade

🤪🤪 you people are complete dolts. Canceled himself. This is precisely what he asked for/wanted.

He could have just asked them to remove him without giving a reason. Just that.
No political reasons. No grandstanding. No soapbox.
They would have done that.
He may have known they would do just that.

It's still a playground stunt equivalent to "I won't play with you if you're friends with HER".

HemiHauler

He could have just asked them to remove him without giving a reason. Just that.
No political reasons. No grandstanding. No soapbox.
They would have done that.
He may have known they would do just that.

It's still a playground stunt equivalent to "I won't play with you if you're friends with HER".

Sure could have. But that wouldn’t be Neil’s style. He’s always been highly political.

I couldn’t care less.

Just like I couldn’t care less about Ted Nugent’s politics or Meatloaf or whomever. You make good music that I enjoy, I will buy it.

SamSpade

Just like I couldn’t care less about Ted Nugent’s politics or Meatloaf or whomever. You make good music that I enjoy, I will buy it.

Most of the time, I concur. I tend to lose interest in a performer when it's hard to see where the politics end the music begins.
I don't care to be lectured or admonished while I listen to music or watch TV.

I guess it's like family - if their social and political views are injected into every conversation, I will still love them, but probably spend less time talking to them. I feel the same way if it's always talking about your kid, your dog, your new boyfriend, your religion.

OccamsRazor

Im personally kinda pissed off about the SB halftime lineup. With all the grandstanding and "safety" that was proclaimed since "Boob-Gate" it seems rather biased that 5 performers were selected simply because their producer/friend (Jay-Z) is in bed with the NFL. Also, that NONE of them can put out a single song without foul language or dropping an N-bomb in the lyrics.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You’re not wrong, at least as far as Rogan is concerned. I barely know who he is.

The progs made him famous. A year ago I had heard his name but couldn't tell you what he did, then the progs started going hatecrazy on him so I looked him up. I still don't see why they're having all this fuss. It appears they're just in witch burning mode and it doesn't have to have a reason or make sense.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I liked him, back in the 70s when rebellion and things that were different were "in". Gave away all of his albums in the 80s.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Most of the time, I concur. I tend to lose interest in a performer when it's hard to see where the politics end the music begins.

I enjoy politics as entertainment, but I don't want a steady diet of it. When some celebrity has been so over the top foaming at the mouth political and abusive, it's hard to see their face and not have that be the first thing that comes to mind. It's like with Meryl Streep and her good friends Harvey Weinstein and Roman Polanski - I no longer see her talent, I just see someone who condones rape and pedophilia. Her face is ugly to me now and unless she's playing a hideous monster I can't believe her performances.

OccamsRazor

You’re not wrong, at least as far as Rogan is concerned. I barely know who he is.
Believe he started as a standup comedian. He then moved into the MMA world and now does his podcasts.
If you ever want a good laugh and a story, look up "Joe Rogan and Carlos Mencia"