Above gound & in-ground pools

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
FastCarsSpeed said:
Chasey on Great Mills Rd there is a pool place. They have the Amish Built Pools there have you gone in and talked them?
Nope, haven't talked with anyone. Tomorrow will be our first chat with someone and the guy is a rep. with Kayak. We're exploring every option now for the best fit (and deal) for us!

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I have never had a problem with the depth, we have had all types of lounge thingys in the pool. Most fit just fine. The only thing to really look at in my book is the width of the top rails, I think thats important for strength. I have had the same liner and all, the only thing i had to replace is the filter cause the oldman left it in the weather.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
I have had several above ground pools over the years. I would never dream of sinking 10 plus grand in a pool that was not an inground pool. The last pool I had was a 24 ft above ground that I bought from a co-worker for 300.00 in 1998. I went to her house with my ex and we took it apart with her husband and loaded it in his truck and took it home. The cost of a new liner was 200.00 bucks a deluxe ladder another 200.00 two truck loads of sand 100.00 and another 50.00 to rent a tamper and tiller. We painted it to match the exterior color of the house when we painted it and touched up the white trim. So all in all for the 850.00 we got a great deal and five plus years of enjoyment. When we split and sold the house we sold the pool to someone else we knew for a couple hundred so who only knows where it is now.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Tigerlily said:
I have had several above ground pools over the years. I would never dream of sinking 10 plus grand in a pool that was not an inground pool.
My thoughts, too! Then again, if I hit the lottery for big money, $10K ain't shiat! :lol:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Chasey_Lane said:
My thoughts, too! Then again, if I hit the lottery for big money, $10K ain't shiat! :lol:
Same for me :killingme If I hit the lotto I'm gonna pay someone to feed grapes to me and fan me at my seaside villa pool. :killingme

Ecphora

Enjoying the Beach
Chasey_Lane said:
We're having Kayak come out tomorrow to give us some quotes and discuss our options. I've seen some negative consumer reports regarding the company, so I have started searching elsewhere.

Who here has an above-ground pool and can offer their recommendations? Anyone we should avoid? What should we look out for? How negotiable are their prices? What questions should we ask?

Any and ALL information is greatly appreciated!!

I had a Kayak pool at my old house (it's still there) It is 18 yrs. old and the only thing thats been replaced is the filter. It's a great pool. I don't know how the newer ones are because the original Kayak company went out of bussiness about 6 yrs ago. Have fun in your new pool!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Chasey - my sister bought a HUGE above-ground pool on-line and it is absolutely beautiful. I'm unsure of her original cost, and the additional add-ons that she's accumulated the two years that she's had the pool (solar cover, heater, etc.). We use it ALL of the time, and it is great fun for us, especially since she's the one that shelled out the money for it. :biggrin: Anyway, the pool is, I'd say maybe 40' x 25' oval, with a depth of about 4.5 feet. Her husband added decking all around.

If you want to see it, I'd be glad to show it to you and have you talk with her about her pros and cons. If you have off this Fri (CWS), we can go and hang out and go swimming if you want.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
BadGirl said:
If you want to see it, I'd be glad to show it to you and have you talk with her about her pros and cons. If you have off this Fri (CWS), we can go and hang out and go swimming if you want.
Very cool, unfortunately I don't do CWS, though. I don't want you to go out of your way, but if you talk to you and mention my inquiries, I'd love to hear her thoughts. :huggy:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Chasey_Lane said:
We're having Kayak come out tomorrow to give us some quotes and discuss our options. I've seen some negative consumer reports regarding the company, so I have started searching elsewhere.

Who here has an above-ground pool and can offer their recommendations? Anyone we should avoid? What should we look out for? How negotiable are their prices? What questions should we ask?

Any and ALL information is greatly appreciated!!
Kayaks are nice, but for a few more dollars you can get an inground.. Kayaks are EXPENSIVE!! I had a Kayak in my backyard in PA.. and it was on it's last legs after about 12 years. I had to get it removed to sell the house.

Limited to depth, so no diving board or slide, most are 4 - 4.5 feet deep, ingrounds can go to 10 - 12 feet... I'd spend the few extra dollars and go with a nice inground.. Above ground pools are impossible for me to really swim in.. my knuckles drag the bottom of the pool when I try to swim.

I've also been told an above ground actually takes away from property value, and it's considered "temporary" so really can't ADD to the value.. a nice inground could add thousands to the value of a home.

I would talk with other pool companies before going with a Kayak, and I can tell you how the "presentation" is going to go.. he is going to want a commitment THAT day, and will "call his boss" from your house to get you a better deal.. then the LAST step will be (if he can't get you to bite on the boss' great deal) he'll call "someone important" and they'll find a demo pool somewhere that they can get you for half price.. local homeshow.. mall etc..

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
itsbob said:
I would talk with other pool companies before going with a Kayak, and I can tell you how the "presentation" is going to go.. he is going to want a commitment THAT day, and will "call his boss" from your house to get you a better deal.. then the LAST step will be (if he can't get you to bite on the boss' great deal) he'll call "someone important" and they'll find a demo pool somewhere that they can get you for half price.. local homeshow.. mall etc..
That's what I've heard. Not to mention "we will give you $500 off if you sign today" type of thing.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Chasey_Lane said:
Very cool, unfortunately I don't do CWS, though. I don't want you to go out of your way, but if you talk to you and mention my inquiries, I'd love to hear her thoughts. :huggy:

Did she mention that it is an adult only pool, and clothing is optional?? Her family is weird like that..

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
itsbob said:
Did she mention that it is an adult only pool, and clothing is optional?? Her family is weird like that..
If we do get one (which I'm hoping we will :crossingfingers:) we'll have to have a toy/pool party, watcha' think? :whistle:

camily

Peace
Chasey_Lane said:
If we do get one (which I'm hoping we will :crossingfingers:) we'll have to have a toy/pool party, watcha' think? :whistle:
You mean like floaties and raft type of toys right?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Chasey_Lane said:
That would be cool, Tracey's toys are all waterproof!!