Above gound & in-ground pools

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Either I'm checking in the wrong place, or you folks who bought pools 10-15 years ago just don't have a current frame of reference for how much they cost in 2006? (Not intended as an insult.)

18-24' Above-Ground pools no longer cost $699 at Sears. Their pool packages are between $2-3,000. I'm guessing labor and installation would be another $2-3,000 which gets us to $6k for an above-ground pool.

Where can you have an in-ground pool installed for just a little bit more?

Again, not trying to be a troublemaker, or critical of anyone's statements and experiences. Just searching for some of the values expressed within this thread.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Oz said:
Either I'm checking in the wrong place, or you folks who bought pools 10-15 years ago just don't have a current frame of reference for how much they cost in 2006? (Not intended as an insult.)

18-24' Above-Ground pools no longer cost $699 at Sears. Their pool packages are between $2-3,000. I'm guessing labor and installation would be another $2-3,000 which gets us to $6k for an above-ground pool.

Again, not trying to be a troublemaker, or critical of anyone's statements and experiences. Just searching for some of the values expressed within this thread.

I think you're correct. I was quoted an estimate over 18k to drop this in my back yard http://www.sanjuanpools.com/Spas.html?step=3&SJId=10KY

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Oz said:
Very true! While I have found cheap pools for $1200, I wouldn't purchase it.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
elaine said:
Nope. However, I do need to have the groud leveled, the spa shipped (not a stock item). I still think it was a high estimate. I'm really glad I didn't get it though, 'cuz now I want this one http://www.sanjuanpools.com/pools.html?step=3&SJId=650. So, when it fits into the budget....
I like that! It seems like you could hire out the work instead of having San Juan do it and it would be cheaper.

Our appointment with the pool guy is today. I'm looking forward to getting some ideas so that hopefully we can buy the pool and do everything ourselves! :lol:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Chasey_Lane said:
I like that! It seems like you could hire out the work instead of having San Juan do it and it would be cheaper.

Our appointment with the pool guy is today. I'm looking forward to getting some ideas so that hopefully we can buy the pool and do everything ourselves! :lol:
San Juan didn't give me the quote, it was a local contracting company.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Oz said:

WHen I had the Kayak slaesperson at the house, they STARTED at $12,000 and this was back quite a few years ago.. maybe '91(?). After I balked at the price he called his manager and got out down to 10,500.. THEN he called the BIG boss and lo and behold they had a pool availabe that they had set up at a home show for a little more then $7,000.

SO put the original price in today's dollars.. figure between 18 - 20,000, then consider WHERE we are.. SOMD inflation rate would probably put you in the 25K range.

Do some shopping and I'm sure you can find a NICE inground pool for that same price.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
CHASEY.. check out this link!!

ALl about KAyak!!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/kayak_liners.html

Purchased 16 X 32 pool in 2001, Kayak installed the pool and after the (very Mild) winter the liner had become disconnected. We called for a service call under warranty. We were told there was a crew about 20 minutes from our house and that they would be by (5/18) They came and fixed the pool in about 10 minutes. After they left I got a call saying that there was a $200 service charge that was never mentioned.

They called and demanded $200 - we were never quoted a price, given an invoice or asked to sign that they even came to the house. Then they called and said if we didn't pay our warranty wasn't valid. This pool was $20,000 and we were told upon purchase that it was fully guaranteed.

camily

Peace
itsbob said:
WHen I had the Kayak slaesperson at the house, they STARTED at $12,000 and this was back quite a few years ago.. maybe '91(?). After I balked at the price he called his manager and got out down to 10,500.. THEN he called the BIG boss and lo and behold they had a pool availabe that they had set up at a home show for a little more then $7,000.

SO put the original price in today's dollars.. figure between 18 - 20,000, then consider WHERE we are.. SOMD inflation rate would probably put you in the 25K range.

Do some shopping and I'm sure you can find a NICE inground pool for that same price.
OMG!!!! They did the "call the big boss" thing to my friend too!!!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
elaine said:
I think you're correct. I was quoted an estimate over 18k to drop this in my back yard http://www.sanjuanpools.com/Spas.html?step=3&SJId=10KY

Yep. We have an inground pool. It needs some repair. We're talking $15,000 at the bare minimum. Given the electricity and chemcial costs and the fact that the pool is hardly used, we've decided to do away with the pool...filling it in. It's sad for me, but it's the best decision.

And an inground pool does NOT add to the value of your home.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
cattitude said:
And an inground pool does NOT add to the value of your home.

Unless you live in FL. People around these parts for some reason aren't interested in a pool in the back yard. Florida is another story. You can tack on 30k plus if a pool is included.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
camily said:
OMG!!!! They did the "call the big boss" thing to my friend too!!!

I'm thinkin' after he talks to the big boss one should request that the salesperson speak to the next boss up the food chain.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
elaine said:
Unless you live in FL. People around these parts for some reason aren't interested in a pool in the back yard. Florida is another story. You can tack on 30k plus if a pool is included.

You can use them pretty much all year long in Florida and most people do.

BabyGurl1978

Gone Crazy
Chasey_Lane said:
I saw that yesterday when I was googling above-ground pools. :lol:

Hey Chasey,

There is a free one in the classifieds section. You disassemble and haul. It is 12x24x4; just thought I would let you know.

meangirl

Nice lady!
elaine said:

:yeahthat: The house next door to me is for sale and has a pretty nice inground pool...the realtor told them the pool is actually making it hard to sell the home. Most people with little kids don't want it because of safety issues (what they said) and older people don't want the expenses and problems with upkeep, etc.