Back Creek Bistro Closing

PeoplesElbow

Local Places I like(d) and their issues.

Teariffic- had no idea it was even there until someone at work told me about it even though I go to the next place fairly often
ThaiInter- very quiet, decor seems a bit too fancy for the lunch crowd, odd name
Charlies Deli- the open/close, where is it, really odd location by BigLots once upon a time (lunch time favorite btw)
Mixing Bowl- had no idea it was there for a good while, sometimes the waitstaff is overloaded although they have been great to me
St James Pub- food was alright, bathroom was a bit scary on occasion when I couldn't hold it, closing of gate 3 during the day killed it most likely
Old Bear Creek- bathroom was also a bit scary
Nikos-springs popping through benches poking you in the ass, don't even appear to have a bathroom, always loved the food until last time it was cold and that is a cardinal sin in my opinion, closes down for a week or two occasionally
Clarks Landing - bathroom was scary
Buffalo Wings and Beer - bathroom was very scary used a shower curtain as a stall.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I liked the food the night we went there, but it was so hot inside that my drink was sweating and warm before I could enjoy it. The bathroom thing is right on, theirs was like an OVEN. :hot: Sorry, they're closing though, I would probably go back in cooler weather. :lol:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
NOPE, Personal experience. I would never go back even if the food was free.

Personal experience. Its a wonderful place with a great chef and professional wait staff. Fresh ingredients and owners who really care about your experience. I hope you like your dinners at Olive Garden

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Back creek was the single worst dining experience I had in a longgg time..and I was looking forward to it after all of the rave somd reviews. But it was absolutely terrible, not to mention it was hard to find the place and the signage sucked. If you're an out of the way restaurant, don't make your customers guess where you are, it sets me up to be pissed before I even sit down. CD café is still a steady favorite, their food is amazing, we just don't go too often due to the price. Jerry's is delicious, café des artistes has some really good dishes, Bollywood is tasty, and the Vietnamese restaurant in Ltown is really good too, I would be so fat if that coffee was any where closer to me. Ruddy's food is basically above average but the service is generally really good as is the atmosphere.

Difference with the chains vs indy restaurants is that chains are cheaper, faster and bigger. You can go more often and it accommodates more people. Pretty simple. When you and your date want a great meal and intimate conversation, you go to Jerry's...when you have your aunts uncles and such in town and a group to feed, you go to texas roadhouse.

PeoplesElbow

Curious, a lot of people when they say local restaurants they don't really think of Chinese or Mexican places, do they count?

Curious, a lot of people when they say local restaurants they don't really think of Chinese or Mexican places, do they count?

Sure. There are a couple of Mexican restaurants that are local owned and very good. Oriental would be on the list, but the only one that impresses me around here would be Laughing Budda, but haven't been there in a while, so don't know if it's still as good as it had been.

Edit: Forgot about Teariffic, in spite of the fact that I was there last night!!! It rates a very good.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control

Been talking about Fiesta Cafe for years now. Not quite as consistently awesome as they were, but still on the upside of the curve. Teariffic of course, although I do wish they would add a few pork options. And the China Harbor in Solomons, it used to be not so great, but a new owner has it all changed up.

molly_21

Nikos-springs popping through benches poking you in the ass, don't even appear to have a bathroom, always loved the food until last time it was cold and that is a cardinal sin in my opinion, closes down for a week or two occasionally

They have a bathroom. You have to ask to use it and cut through the kitchen.

dilligaf.

So this is a real request:

Examine your restaurant habits and please tell me why you prefer chain restaurants over locally owned ones. That question has baffled me forever. I'm not going to judge you, I promise. I'm really interested in this phenomenon.

With 99% of the men wearing baseball caps indoors, if they were to go to a non-chain restaurant, they may feel obligated to wash their hair and not wear a baseball cap in a restaurant. And they don't want to do that.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Where do these comments come from? That is not even remotely true. You're a Yelp reviewer, aren't you? Like, they call you when someone won't advertise and have you write a slam piece?

That. Obviously someone who never ate there ever.

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
After reading the entire thread:

The best Thai place in St Mary's is actually Sawatdee Thai on Great Mills Road.

I'm sad, very, very sad, about Bistro Belle Maison closing. However, the chef is planning to do pop-up dinners and you can bet your bippee that I will be there. She will be concentrating her efforts on the Lotus Kitchen so you will still get to experience her food, just not the farm to table weekends that she had been doing at the Blue Heron.

Back Creek, I tried twice to eat there and each time they were closed. So that's not a win for me to travel that far and not have the place be open at on time.

To PeoplesElbow, Charlie's and St James Pub are both long closed.

I would rather support small restaurants and non-chains. If I'm buying fast food, then I'm hitting up Wendy's or Dairy Queen. The only exception is a Waffle House. I have a slight WH hash brown addiction.

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Sure. There are a couple of Mexican restaurants that are local owned and very good. Oriental would be on the list, but the only one that impresses me around here would be Laughing Budda, but haven't been there in a while, so don't know if it's still as good as it had been.

Edit: Forgot about Teariffic, in spite of the fact that I was there last night!!! It rates a very good.

In the Calvert Recorder about 3 weeks or a month ago, the owners of a Thai restaurant in PF applied for a liquor license at the address where the Laughing Budda is in Solomons. Though the LB appears to still be open, I am assuming there are closing and this Thai restaurant is going in.

bulldog

This is such a weird area for restaurants. Higher end military - it's not like Pax is a basic training camp - and government, who've been all over and are presumably a bit more sophisticated than average, educated, making good money....yet unremarkable restaurants like Applebee's have a line out the door waiting to get in and Back Creek Bistro is empty.

I don't understand this.

I've been around the country a good bit and seriously have never seen anything like it. In most places the local restaurants are the big draw, packed on Fri/Sat, and the chains are low man on the totem pole. SoMD really is unique in its dislike of anything out of the ordinary and unfamiliar. And you can't even blame the "born-heres" because they're actually better about supporting non-chain restaurants than the come-heres.

So this is a real request:

Examine your restaurant habits and please tell me why you prefer chain restaurants over locally owned ones. That question has baffled me forever. I'm not going to judge you, I promise. I'm really interested in this phenomenon.

I have not read the entire thread yet, so this may have already been mentioned, but I've been here 10+ years and would not have know about the BC Bistro had it not have been for reading about it here, on this site. So, lack of advertising may have been one issue for them. Hell, maybe business was booming and they are just tired and want to retire. Who knows?

As to your question; I nearly refuse to do the chain thing. Can't remember the last time I was in Applebee's or any of the others. If I want a steak, I'll go to Ruddy Duck II, for seafood I'll go to the Lighthouse or some other local joint. If fast food is a must I will go to Chick Fil A or Panera, but that's a rare thing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I love Niko's and places like that. Having to go through the kitchen to use the restroom doesn't bother me in the least. That's the main reason, besides the food, that I don't care for chain restaurants: everything is the same. The Ruby Tuesday in Manhattan is exactly the same as the one in Shreveport, which is exactly the same as the one on 235. That's the attraction of the chains; I just don't care for it and like something different.