Breaking News - Terri Schiavo Case - Appeal Lost

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
vraiblonde said:
Larry better NEVER leave me in the hands of my mother. She'd keep my ass alive forever, whatever it took.

The husband says that she expressly didn't want to live as a vegetable in case of something like this. I think he's just trying to honor her wishes against her nutty parents. Too bad she didn't have it in writing.

:yeahthat: There is certainly a fate worse then death and that fate is my mother. :lmao:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Larry better NEVER leave me in the hands of my mother. She'd keep my ass alive forever, whatever it took.

The husband says that she expressly didn't want to live as a vegetable in case of something like this. I think he's just trying to honor her wishes against her nutty parents. Too bad she didn't have it in writing.
That is it exactly, having it in writing. You have to have a "do not resuscitate" in writing or the doctors will keep trying to revive you, is this any different?

What are the husband’s motives, honoring his dear wife’s wishes or getting his hands on what is left in the trust fund?

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
The state should grant him a divorce, give her parents the rights to do with her as they legally wish and let it be done.

If the parents want to come by and talk to her and water their plant, so be it, killing her doesn’t seem to benefit anyone.

Jmho

Steve

Enjoying life!
Lack of brainwave activity clearly and scientifically proves that Schiavo is no longer aware of anything, not even a level of conscious thought that she is simply unable to express. If she were at least able to think within the prison of her own body, that thought would be reflected in the brainwave scan. It would absolutely show up as "activity". But to play devil's advocate for a second, let's assume that science is mistaken in its assessment of her lack of thought. Maybe thought really happens so deep in the brain, at such low voltage levels, that it is impossible to detect. If so, then I would think that after 15 years, regardless of how much external stimulation she receives, she would probably have gone quite insane by now anyway, and would be better off if allowed to die.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ken King said:
What are the husband’s motives, honoring his dear wife’s wishes or getting his hands on what is left in the trust fund?
There can't be a whole lot left, considering she's been hospitalized for more than 10 years. They don't keep you going like that for free.

Steve said:
Lack of brainwave activity clearly and scientifically proves that Schiavo is no longer aware of anything, not even a level of conscious thought that she is simply unable to express. If she were at least able to think within the prison of her own body, that thought would be reflected in the brainwave scan. It would absolutely show up as "activity". But to play devil's advocate for a second, let's assume that science is mistaken in its assessment of her lack of thought. Maybe thought really happens so deep in the brain, at such low voltage levels, that it is impossible to detect. If so, then I would think that after 15 years, regardless of how much external stimulation she receives, she would probably have gone quite insane by now anyway, and would be better off if allowed to die.
Well put. :yay:

Steve

Enjoying life!
From an article in 2003...

"If you look at a brain scan of Terri, where her cerebral cortex used to be is a black hole filled with spinal fluid," he said. "There is simply no hope of recovery for Terri."

If this is the case, then there is no hope and never was. The brain cannot regenerate. It can create new neural pathways and connections through existing brain tissue, but it cannot replace tissue that has died and been absorbed into the body. Without a cerebral cortex, she will never recover, nor will those connections needed for thought be able to reestablish themselves through other parts of the brain. Compare this to a labotomy; the same conditions have been created. Has anyone ever historically "recovered and reversed" from a labotomy?

Ken King

PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
There can't be a whole lot left, considering she's been hospitalized for more than 10 years. They don't keep you going like that for free.
I thought that there were still folks contributing to the fund, I could be wrong. Anyway, explain why he just didn't seek a divorce when her parents objected to her being allowed to starve to death?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ken King said:
Anyway, explain why he just didn't seek a divorce when her parents objected to her being allowed to starve to death?
He says it's because he's trying to protect her wishes to not lay in a vegetative state for years on end.

Think about if CopierLady had said specifically that she didn't want to be a guinea pig for some doctor and a brain dead vegetable. Now she's been in an accident and can't speak for herself, and her folks want to keep like that and won't let her go.

What would you do? :shrug:

Steve

Enjoying life!
Ken King said:
Anyway, explain why he just didn't seek a divorce when her parents objected to her being allowed to starve to death?
Because he claims to be representing her dying wishes, specifically being taken off of life support should something like this happen. It's been 15 years, after all! Do you think he has maintained this stance for so long simply for whatever money may be left? If he divorces her, he cannot fight for her any more. I know all of the speculation in the press, about money and whatever, but what does he stand to gain from this now? He'd make more on a book deal than from any insurance money.

Ken King

PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
He says it's because he's trying to protect her wishes to not lay in a vegetative state for years on end.

Think about if CopierLady had said specifically that she didn't want to be a guinea pig for some doctor and a brain dead vegetable. Now she's been in an accident and can't speak for herself, and her folks want to keep like that and won't let her go.

What would you do? :shrug:
She has said exactly that and we have a letter with her notarized signature on it in the safe saying that. It will be done as she wants as I have promised. But if we didn't have such a letter and she was in such a state and her Momma wanted to keep her going I would allow her Momma to do so. After all, it was her Momma that gave me the chance to love her to begin with.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Steve said:
Because he claims to be representing her dying wishes, specifically being taken off of life support should something like this happen. It's been 15 years, after all! Do you think he has maintained this stance for so long simply for whatever money may be left? If he divorces her, he cannot fight for her any more. I know all of the speculation in the press, about money and whatever, but what does he stand to gain from this now? He'd make more on a book deal than from any insurance money.
It's only a feeding tube they are talking about removing. She isn't on a resuscitator or ventilator. Her husband intends to let her starve to death, which is awfully cruel and you say he is only protecting her interest. If that was so he would have had Dr. K (or someone of equal talent) in for the final deed and not let her just slowly expire.

There is more to this then any of us will ever know.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Ken King said:
. . .which is awfully cruel. . . .
But painless and quite humane if you're in a coma.

. . . he would have had Dr. K (or someone of equal talent) in for the final deed and not let her just slowly expire.
But that's illegal so don't hold your breath.

Take it from someone who's been involved in pulling the plug a lot of times that NOBODY takes this lightly.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Lenny said:
But painless and quite humane if you're in a coma.
Everything I have heard is that she is in a "coma like state" whatever that means. Does anyone know 100% positive what she does or does not feel or understand? I think not. Besides this isn't about pulling the plug it is about allowing her to simply starve to death which, in my mind, is extremely cruel.

But that's illegal so don't hold your breath.
I think it is legal in at least Oregon, maybe other states also, I am unsure. But if you can starve someone to death why can't you expedite that same death with medical assistance.

Take it from someone who's been involved in pulling the plug a lot of times that NOBODY takes this lightly.
I don't think anyone is taking this lightly. The husband wants her to die for whatever reason and her family does not. There are no documents to back his claim that this is what she wants and if the parents are willing to continue her care and hope that she might come around or some miracle might happen or cure be discovered, what is the harm?

My biggest objection is in the means to the end, not that there is one.

K

Kizzy

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ken King again. :mad:

Ken, great post, actually you have made several excellent points in this thread. It isn't a mater of pulling the plug, it is letting her starve to death which is extremely painful and I agree totally inhumane.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Steve said:
:duh: And don't even think you'll convince me to change the will! :burning: :lol:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Steve said:
From an article in 2003...

"If you look at a brain scan of Terri, where her cerebral cortex used to be is a black hole filled with spinal fluid," he said. "There is simply no hope of recovery for Terri."

If this is the case, then there is no hope and never was. The brain cannot regenerate. It can create new neural pathways and connections through existing brain tissue, but it cannot replace tissue that has died and been absorbed into the body. Without a cerebral cortex, she will never recover, nor will those connections needed for thought be able to reestablish themselves through other parts of the brain. Compare this to a labotomy; the same conditions have been created. Has anyone ever historically "recovered and reversed" from a labotomy?
For every article that states it cannot regenerate there is another that says it can. Sorry, I'm not buyin it. He needs to grant HER a divorce and give her family some peace.

Last edited:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Steve said:
I think it started off as money, as he sued and was granted a butt load of cash, now I think it's just an issue of winning for him. Come on, he moved on quickly after she was hospitalized, she also went into the hospital under shady circumstances. It's not every day that a young woman goes into the hospital due to lack of oxygen to the brain. :duh: Ya think he might have something he wants to keep hidden? Hmmmmm? :lol:

EmnJoe

nunya bidnis
One last thought.....

How ironic is this whole thing?
"The 41-year-old Schiavo suffered brain damage in 1990 when her heart temporarily stopped beating because of an eating disorder. "

And now;
"She can breathe on her own but depends on a feeding tube to stay alive because she cannot swallow on her own. "

:ohwell: