Changing Maryland???

C

czygvtwkr

Get rid of the blight liquor stores cause by having an license easy to obtain for selling beer and wine by grocery stores and even hard liquor if they meet more stringent requirements. This should be a cash positive move because there will be a lot more licenses sold. I know of other states that have done this and the liquor stores disappeared in a couple years with the people that hung around them all the time, grocery stores simply did not put up with them hanging around.

Change the name of the MVA to the DMV like every other state.

Rommey

I'm not really sure about the amendment part. Your cite doesn't say how the Governor's plan is prepared... just that the Governor submits a plan. Right now the Governor selects a committee (of like-minded legislators and political donors) to come up with the plan.
The "independent" committee could draw up the plan, but ultimately the governor would have to submit i. What are the odds that "their" plan would be much different than the governor's plan?
BTW, who would select the "independent" committee?

And ultimately it would fall on the General Assembly and governor to enact the boundaries.

I would rather see the minority party in the Senate have the total responsibility to draw up the boundaries. Call it the ultimate checks and balances. Think about it...if the Republicans in the Senate had free reign (within the boundaries of Federal laws) to dew up Republican-freindly districts, at some point they might be in the majority. Then the Democrats (now being in the minority) would have their opportunity to draw Democrat-freindly districts.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The "independent" committee could draw up the plan, but ultimately the governor would have to submit i. What are the odds that "their" plan would be much different than the governor's plan?
BTW, who would select the "independent" committee?

And ultimately it would fall on the General Assembly and governor to enact the boundaries.

I would rather see the minority party in the Senate have the total responsibility to draw up the boundaries. Call it the ultimate checks and balances. Think about it...if the Republicans in the Senate had free reign (within the boundaries of Federal laws) to dew up Republican-freindly districts, at some point they might be in the majority. Then the Democrats (now being in the minority) would have their opportunity to draw Democrat-freindly districts.

I would suggest an independent (or Non-partisan) committee along the lines of what they have in California... 5 Democrats, 5 Republicans, and 4 Independents/Others. Approval of new boundaries requires votes from at least 3 members of each group. The Governor and Legislature are not involved in the process. Challenges to the new boundaries are made through the referendum process. Of course any changes to the current process would require an amendment to the MD Constitution.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I couldn't get elected to be boss in my own company. :lol:

I am trying to convince myself Larry Hogan has a shot at this AND that it will be good for the state if he wins. To that end, I am trying to identify what would be meaningful for him to pursue and would it be possible, if not probable, to get done AND be good for the state. Going to a fundraiser for him soon and, if I get the chance, I want to talk to him about something along those lines; how will you be judged a success?

I've done a little looking up on Hogan and really don't find a lot on what he stands for. His "Hogan for Governor" website doesn't even have a bio or "Hogan on the issues" or anything that tells us who he is. He has a ‘Change Maryland” site where he has a “Meet Our Chairman” where it states Hogan has been “a long-time leader in the state, who has spent decades in various capacities, working to change Maryland for the better”. Well we see how that’s worked out.

I found an article about in the WaPo where he states the usual cliché stuff of ending the status quo and politics as usual… but nothing about what he would actually do to change MD. Who is this guy and what does he stand for?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I've done a little looking up on Hogan and really don't find a lot on what he stands for. His "Hogan for Governor" website doesn't even have a bio or "Hogan on the issues" or anything that tells us who he is. He has a ‘Change Maryland” site where he has a “Meet Our Chairman” where it states Hogan has been “a long-time leader in the state, who has spent decades in various capacities, working to change Maryland for the better”. Well we see how that’s worked out.

I found an article about in the WaPo where he states the usual cliché stuff of ending the status quo and politics as usual… but nothing about what he would actually do to change MD. Who is this guy and what does he stand for?

Good questions.

I don't know. The cynical side of me, the BDS side, says he is what he is; a politician. Hogan has been involved in Maryland politics since I was a kid. So, the 'outsider' label doesn't work. On that basis, all we're talking about, most likely, is what politicians do; say one thing to get elected, do another once they're in.

The optimist side, the hopeful side makes the obvious argument; anything has to be better than what we have. And that, simply, is not true. Bush proved that. Things can get worse; you can elect a supposed right winger who governs way left AND gets the right wing stained with it. The worst of both worlds. That's the thing I most want to avoid, ending up defending the indefensible.

So, to that end, the practical; Gansler is 100% right out of central casting; "Send us a politician that looks uber slick and looks late for a fleecing". The other guy managed the health care thing and should be disqualified on that alone. So, if I can find a couple issues to hang my hat on, maybe that's enough, to be working, sincerely, on it. I mean, at the end of the day, Maryland is a company state; it lives and dies with the federal government and that is a pretty safe bet for over all stability but, it is also a pretty safe bet, because of that guaranteed prosperity, for all the nonsense we get in terms of policies and spending; we CAN afford it because no matter how many small business's lose in Maryland, the attraction is too great for it to, really, matter. That is the cold, hard truth and that makes it highly unlikely for any limited gov type to do much.

The biggest thing I have on background is that Larry, as gov, can, by executive order, essentially over turn SB281. Maybe that alone is enough?

Sweet 16

^^8^^
1. Repeal the rain tax.
2. Repeal 'drivers' licenses for illegals'. Driving used to be a privilege, not a right.
3. Foster a better business climate by repealing or reducing business taxes and modifying regulations to such a degree that businesses will want to come here.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
1. Open the primaries. Allow voters to vote for whoever they please.

2. Make college education at MD public institutions more accessible (affordable).

3. Ban all state/local/municipal employee unions from campaigning, contributing to campaigns, lobbying or having any activities related to the elections for public office.

4. Increase the gas tax by a penny and remove all tolls.

5. Make the sales tax applicable to internet purchases. Reduce the sales tax to make it revenue neutral.

6. Make sure the new FBI headquarters are located in MD
Why would you do this, I'm not sure I see a reason for it

Chris0nllyn

Why would you do this, I'm not sure I see a reason for it

It's akin to the RINO/DINO movement.

Republicans register as Dems to vote in the worst candidate in that party. Or the other way around with dems registering as Repubs.

The goal is to give the voters their "good" candidate, while the other party has a "bad" one.

Tommyjo's proposal would do away with having to register to become a RINO/DINO.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Good questions.

I don't know. The cynical side of me, the BDS side, says he is what he is; a politician. Hogan has been involved in Maryland politics since I was a kid. So, the 'outsider' label doesn't work. On that basis, all we're talking about, most likely, is what politicians do; say one thing to get elected, do another once they're in.

The optimist side, the hopeful side makes the obvious argument; anything has to be better than what we have. And that, simply, is not true. Bush proved that. Things can get worse; you can elect a supposed right winger who governs way left AND gets the right wing stained with it. The worst of both worlds. That's the thing I most want to avoid, ending up defending the indefensible.

So, to that end, the practical; Gansler is 100% right out of central casting; "Send us a politician that looks uber slick and looks late for a fleecing". The other guy managed the health care thing and should be disqualified on that alone. So, if I can find a couple issues to hang my hat on, maybe that's enough, to be working, sincerely, on it. I mean, at the end of the day, Maryland is a company state; it lives and dies with the federal government and that is a pretty safe bet for over all stability but, it is also a pretty safe bet, because of that guaranteed prosperity, for all the nonsense we get in terms of policies and spending; we CAN afford it because no matter how many small business's lose in Maryland, the attraction is too great for it to, really, matter. That is the cold, hard truth and that makes it highly unlikely for any limited gov type to do much.

The biggest thing I have on background is that Larry, as gov, can, by executive order, essentially over turn SB281. Maybe that alone is enough?

Although we haven’t had a chance to see Lollar in action, he is definitely an outsider, fresh ideas, definitely a conservative (at least in talk), and (as superficial as this will sound, it matters in MD) he’s black. I feel I am done voting for insiders that have been doing it for decades with no results. Time to give some new faces a chance.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Although we haven’t had a chance to see Lollar in action, he is definitely an outsider, fresh ideas, definitely a conservative (at least in talk), and (as superficial as this will sound, it matters in MD) he’s black. I feel I am done voting for insiders that have been doing it for decades with no results. Time to give some new faces a chance.

Can't argue with you there. The knock on Lollar is his organization and people; lot of in fighting and un-professional stuff, supposedly. However, maybe that is good, too?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
It's akin to the RINO/DINO movement.

Republicans register as Dems to vote in the worst candidate in that party. Or the other way around with dems registering as Repubs.

The goal is to give the voters their "good" candidate, while the other party has a "bad" one.

Tommyjo's proposal would do away with having to register to become a RINO/DINO.
That's how I see it, but I wanted to hear someone who thought it was a good idea explain their thought. My thought on it would be, if you want to have a private primary sponsor it yourself, don't ask taxpayers to fund your party.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Wiki says that 20 states use open primaries, although two of them are only open for unaffiliated or unrepresented voters. I was considering registering DINO when Peter Franchot was considering running for Gov. He was the only Dem candidate I could tolerate... plus I liked that he was always pissing MOM off.