Charles Co Dept of Ed has lost it's mind?

awpitt

Main Streeter
AGREED!

To me it seems like they don't want to deal with the hassle.

You got it.

Putting him in the "special" school will mean that he will be around people who all have special needs when he should be around people in a normal environment which is the way it will be in real life.

jg21

You got it.

Putting him in the "special" school will mean that he will be around people who all have special needs when he should be around people in a normal environment which is the way it will be in real life.

He would not be placed in a "special" school; he would be placed in a regular high school with a Life Skills program more suited to his level of disability.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Well, if Logan is allowed to go to this high school instead of one more appropriate to his abilities, will he then be accepted at the college of his parents' choice, simply because he went to high school just fine?

High school is a different educational situation than middle and elementary. If they pulled Logan out after a successful freshman year, then there would be questions. As it stands, it makes sense to me that he would be better off in a high school environment more suited to his educational needs.

That's part of the problem. We don't know which school is best suited for his needs. We don't even know Logan. It just seems odd that for the last 8 or 9 school years, everything was fine and now all bets are off. Middle and high school isn't that drastically different. I'd say there's a bigger difference between elementary and middle. If the BOE had told Logan's Mom that he needed to go to the "special" school at the end of 5th grade, that would be more understandable.

awpitt

Main Streeter
He would not be placed in a "special" school; he would be placed in a regular high school with a Life Skills program more suited to his level of disability.

Okay. Didn't realize that part. In this case, it would be simular to how some kids don't attend their "home" school because certain programs are only offered at certain schools. Sort of like how the STEM program works in St. Mary's.

jg21

Okay. Didn't realize that part. In this case, it would be simular to how some kids don't attend their "home" school because certain programs are only offered at certain schools. Sort of like how the STEM program works in St. Mary's.

Exactly. Each of the high schools in Charles County that has a Life Skills program is set up to educate those students with similar levels of disability. That way the programs can better focus on the particular needs of those students. It is far better than having a classroom of 6 or 7 students, all of whom may have extremely different needs. Teaching those non-communicative students confined to wheelchairs is very different than teaching high functioning Down's students, for example.

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Exactly. Each of the high schools in Charles County that has a Life Skills program are set up to educate those students with similar levels of disability. That way the programs can better focus on the particular needs of those students. It is far better than having a classroom of 6 or 7 students, all of whom may have extremely different needs. Teaching those non-communicative students confined to wheelchairs is very different than teaching high functioning Down's students, for example.

It's unfortunate that they can't find a way to serve those needs in each of the high schools. Logan's Mom does make a good point about the impact of removing Logan from his life long friends. It sounds like he has a good support system around him. Removing that could do more harm than whatever benefit a life skills class might have.

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
You got it all wrong, and I mean this with all fue respect. These programs teach these kids "life skills." They prepare them for careers and such and prepare them for living independently. They even take them on field trips and such for social interaction and shopping trips, preparing them to care for themselves. The special school of Charles County is designed for this and already has the staff trained for this as I understand. Remember, this "special school" is a public school that our tax dollars pay for. I believe it is the Gwynn Center in La Plata, but I am not sure. It could also be Lackey, which at one point had a "life skills" program, I am not sure if it still does. Regardless, our tax dollars pay for these programs so that staff can care for several students with special needs at once. To send a student with special needs to a regular school and have to hire staff just for him is backwards IMO.

I actually do understand it.. I've lived this story. Even if Westlake isn't "set up" for Logan they are suppose to take the necessary actions to become appropriate for him. We had to do this with my brother, Great Mills wasn't completely right for him but they became right. And in most cases a lot of the time it comes down to just needing an aide

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
It's unfortunate that they can't find a way to serve those needs in each of the high schools. Logan's Mom does make a good point about the impact of removing Logan from his life long friends. It sounds like he has a good support system around him. Removing that could do more harm than whatever benefit a life skills class might have.

They can serve the needs in each high school they just choose not too. We had a similar issue when my brother entered high school. I will agree that moving logan from a group of students he is comfortable with could be very harmful to his progress in a social environment

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I'm confused, why wouldn't they send him to a school that fits his needs versus one that doesn't? :shrug: BTW, a 30-minute commute to school around here is not that unusual.

This is true. My daughter is on a bus for apprx 40 mins every morning for school.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Oh, "just needing an aide," huh? I looked at the pay scale for aides, and they start at somewhere close to $30,000 per year. That doesn't sound like much, but when you consider the benefits, social security tax, and unemployment insurance that must be paid for the position, it adds up to probably close to $40,000 per year (just for the cost of paying one aide) just so one student can go to school with his friends. I still stand with the BOE to send him to the school that already has the staff and material in place, so that the resources can be divided among 5 or 6 life skills students or whatever instead of hiring a 1-on-1 and probably experiencing additional duplicate expenses just for one kid's parents to get their way.

What do you think they are going to pay a bus contractor to provide a bus, bus driver and a bus attendant to transport this one child (quite possibly) back and forth from home to the special school for the course of a school year?

drivingdaisy

I'm sure the BOE/school is not doing it because it is "too much of a hassle." I'm sure they have their valid reasons, even if the family doesn't agree. Most people don't get in education because they don't want to be bothered with students.

In these times it might be financially impossible to start that program at Westlake. Haven't we seen enough threads about schools and budgets on here lately.

While I personally would love for all children to get the education they need at their own school, it probably is not a reality. Our country/society doesn't seem to value education enough to give enough funds for more personalized education on matter what their needs.

jg21

I'm sure the BOE/school is not doing it because it is "too much of a hassle." I'm sure they have their valid reasons, even if the family doesn't agree. Most people don't get in education because they don't want to be bothered with students.

In these times it might be financially impossible to start that program at Westlake. Haven't we seen enough threads about schools and budgets on here lately. While I personally would love for all children to get the education they need at their own school, it probably is not a reality. Our country/society doesn't seem to value education enough to give enough funds for more personalized education on matter what their needs.

Westlake has a Life Skills program, just not one appropriate for this student.

acommondisaster

Read most of the posts and wanted to respond, as the parent of a special needs child. FB Gwynn is no longer (and hasn't been for many years) a school for special needs. It's now a place for "at risk" children. My daughter attended Gwynn until they decided it was better to farm the kids out to "all inclusive" schools.

The thing about Life Skills classes is that although they are now in "inclusive" settings, for the most part, they are pretty much stuck in a classroom, excluded from contact with the other students except at lunch. If they are higher functioning, sometimes they leave to attend a "regular" class, but return to their LS room after. They receive their speech/occupational/physical therapy in the LS classroom. They've got a "buddy" or two who come in and "interact" with them or do things like go to PE with them, etc. depending on the special needs student's level of function. While in the LS classroom, depending on their level, they learn life skills to help them be independent, but more importantly at the HS level, they may go out into the community and have "jobs".

Sounds to me like Westlake doesn't have a LS class with that sort of setting.

My daughter went to Stone, which had a GREAT LS classroom and I hated to have her leave it when we moved. She had several "buddies" and even 10 years later, people who went to school with her will come up and say hello to her. Wherever this young man goes, I'm sure the same will be true. I can tell that the mother was touched by how nice the other kids were to her son at the dance, but most assuredly the same sort of thing will happen wherever he goes, and he'll adapt.

Personally, (and I don't know the whole story after reading her letter) I think the mother ought to want her son in the Life Skills class that best fits his needs, rather than wanting him to be with friends. His Life Skills class will prepare him for adulthood - whereas his friends will go off to college and pretty much leave him behind as he lags further and further behind them. 30 minutes isn't a long busride.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Read most of the posts and wanted to respond, as the parent of a special needs child. FB Gwynn is no longer (and hasn't been for many years) a school for special needs. It's now a place for "at risk" children. My daughter attended Gwynn until they decided it was better to farm the kids out to "all inclusive" schools.

The thing about Life Skills classes is that although they are now in "inclusive" settings, for the most part, they are pretty much stuck in a classroom, excluded from contact with the other students except at lunch. If they are higher functioning, sometimes they leave to attend a "regular" class, but return to their LS room after. They receive their speech/occupational/physical therapy in the LS classroom. They've got a "buddy" or two who come in and "interact" with them or do things like go to PE with them, etc. depending on the special needs student's level of function. While in the LS classroom, depending on their level, they learn life skills to help them be independent, but more importantly at the HS level, they may go out into the community and have "jobs".

Sounds to me like Westlake doesn't have a LS class with that sort of setting.

My daughter went to Stone, which had a GREAT LS classroom and I hated to have her leave it when we moved. She had several "buddies" and even 10 years later, people who went to school with her will come up and say hello to her. Wherever this young man goes, I'm sure the same will be true. I can tell that the mother was touched by how nice the other kids were to her son at the dance, but most assuredly the same sort of thing will happen wherever he goes, and he'll adapt.

Personally, (and I don't know the whole story after reading her letter) I think the mother ought to want her son in the Life Skills class that best fits his needs, rather than wanting him to be with friends. His Life Skills class will prepare him for adulthood - whereas his friends will go off to college and pretty much leave him behind as he lags further and further behind them. 30 minutes isn't a long busride.

:clap:
Also having a special needs student (20 years old) I'm using your post as a jumping in point. I agree with a lot of what you said.

I've read through the thread & need to re-read the story & school system details again without skimming. BUT, a couple of things pop into my head on this.

Many parents sometimes balk at what is considered in the special education law language as "least restrictive environment" (or best interest of the student) But not knowing the CC schools, and only going by what you said about the Gwynn Center - it doesn't sound like that would be the least restrictive environment for that student. Just my first impression.

My son is very high functioning, but he cannot learn in a traditional-sized classroom. He couldn't stay focused with so much going on in a class and that would inevitably lead to behavior issues. I was very concerned about mainstreaming him into that population of students for his academic classes. He did fine with the elective classes & PE, etc. I've had to fight this at times, because it IS MORE restrictive to be in a "self-contained" (as they are sometimes referred to) classroom. But I felt it was in his overall best interest longterm. Looking back, I think I was right about it for him academisc-wise. However, he had social skills issues and that has been the trade-off. As he's gotten older, the school population becomes more tolerant, and it is working out. He also interacts with adults with disabilities in other areas of his life, so that is also helping.

Anyway, the parents do have the right to due process if they don't agree with the school district's findings. IMO, the least restrictive environment for this student doesn't seem to be the Gwynne School if the population of students are at risk students, etc.

I'll have to read more on it later when I have the time.

acommondisaster

Just a quick reply - Gwynn Center is for "at risk"...ie behavioral problems, kids who have been dumped by their parents, that sort of thing. It's no longer, nor has it been for many years, a "special ed" school. Prior to its current status, it was a resource center. Least restrictive is done in the public schools.

Bann

PREMO Member
I think you are wrong about this. It is the BOE that must make reasonable accomodation, and it seems to me that they are by sending him to a school that has a life skills program and is only 30 minutes away. If each school was supposed to have a life skills program, Westlake would already have it. It would be ridiculous IMO to have a life skills program at each school, when it may result in 1 or 2 students from each school being led by a teacher, an aide, and probably more. It is far better to do like they do, which is to have certain with life skills programs, so students from all around the county can go there and the teachers and aides can have 5 or 6 students in their classroom. This is my opinion.

This is correct. They don't have to provide those special education programs in *each* school in a particular district.

My son attends a HS that is not his home school. I cannot demand that the program be offered in each school, because that is NOT what the IDEA law stipulates.

And yes, it takes longer for him to get to school. And yes, he does go to school with kids not in his neighborhood.

Bann

PREMO Member
After reading the mother's FB page, and the letters to the Baynet - I think there are just too many unknowns about her son's particular case to be able to say which side is correct in this.

I would have to know what other school the CCPS district is sending their son to in order to understand if the FAPE (free appropriate education) & LRE (least restrictive environment) argument is applicable. I don't recall seeing the name of the school in the stories I read. Did I miss it?

These definitions in the IDEA law state nothing about this being required in the student's HOME SCHOOL. I didn't find that anywhere. From personal experience, my son has attended school in 3 different states and in no state did they create a special class/program for him in his home school. In fact, he's almost always attended a school other than his home school for every level of his education.

I don't know that the parents are right (or wrong) in this. It sounds as if the school district IS trying to provide this student with a FAPE in the LRE. Just because that program is not in the home school does NOT mean they have to provide it in that school. Free and appropriate does not mean "the best" or "we will go out of our way only for you". If it's offered someplace - that's where he'll be going.

No matter what, the IDEA laws govern this whole situation, so the parents will have to prove the LEA is wrong. My links below are from Wikipedia ONLY because they outline things in an easier to find format. All sources are accurately cited at the bottom of the page.

In defining the purpose of special education, IDEA 2004 clarifies Congress’ intended outcome for each child with a disability: students must be provided a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) that prepares them for further education, employment and independent living.[3]

Under IDEA 2004:

Special education and related services should be designed to meet the unique learning needs of eligible children with disabilities, preschool through age 21.
Students with disabilities should be prepared for further education, employment and independent living.

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Free Appropriate Public Education, or FAPE, is an educational right of children with disabilities in the United States that is guaranteed by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973[1] and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Under Section 504, FAPE is defined as “the provision of regular or special education and related aids and services that are designed to meet individual needs of handicapped persons as well as the needs of non-handicapped persons are met and based on adherence to procedural safeguards outlined in the law.” Under the IDEA, FAPE is defined as an educational program that is individualized to a specific child, designed to meet that child's unique needs, provides access to the general curriculum, meets the grade-level standards established by the state, and from which the child receives educational benefit.[2] The United States Department of Education issues regulations that define[3] and govern[4] the provision of FAPE.

To provide FAPE to a child with a disability, schools must provide students with an education, including specialized instruction and related services, that prepares the child for further education, employment, and independent living.[5]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Appropriate_Public_Education_%28FAPE%29

As part of the U.S. Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, the least restrictive environment is identified as one of the six principles that govern the education of students with disabilities and other special needs. By law, schools are required to provide a free appropriate public education (FAPE) in the least restrictive environment that is appropriate to the individual student's needs.

"Least restrictive environment" means that a student who has a disability should have the opportunity to be educated with non-disabled peers, to the greatest extent appropriate. They should have access to the general education curriculum, extracurricular activities, or any other program that non-disabled peers would be able to access. The student should be provided with supplementary aids and services necessary to achieve educational goals if placed in a setting with non-disabled peers. Academically, a resource room may be available within the school for specialized instruction, with typically no more than two hours per day of services for a student with learning disabilities.[1] Should the nature or severity of his or her disability prevent the student from achieving these goals in a regular education setting, then the student would be placed in a more restrictive environment, such as a special school, classroom within the current school, or a hospital program. Generally, the less opportunity a student has to interact and learn with non-disabled peers, the more the placement is considered to be restricted.

To determine what an appropriate setting is for a student, a team will review the student’s needs and interests. The types of educational settings for students with disabilities will vary. With the differences in needs and interests among students with disabilities, there is no single definition of what an LRE will be for all students.

acommondisaster

What do you think they are going to pay a bus contractor to provide a bus, bus driver and a bus attendant to transport this one child (quite possibly) back and forth from home to the special school for the course of a school year?

They'll be on a special bus with other children from their neighborhood (and other neighborhoods as practical) going to the school they're attending. In the 18+ years that my daughter was bussed to schools throughout the county she was never the only child on a bus.

kimx6

What would be wrong with speaking with the teachers, the school, and BOE to find out what is in Logan's best interest?

Hi, I am Logan's mom, thanks for your interest in our story. Actually we did try to talk to everyone involved in the decision. Only a few have returned our phone calls. Initially the decision for his placement was made by one person and then the rest just got in line and unfortunately they would not even consider any suggestions we had.

kimx6

Westlake has a Life Skills program, just not one appropriate for this student.

Hi, I am Logan's mom and I am very curious as to how you would know what program is appropriate for him. At this point that is something that is under debate and has not been decided. The answer will not be determined until all the facts have been investigated, presented and discussed by the experts. Thank you for your interest in our story.