Charles County officer murders dog

sockgirl77

camily said:
I know this cop personally. He is NOT at all a mean "dog killer". I will defend him until the end. He is a great man with a great family. Very gentle actually. I have known the family for over three years.
Yet this is the 3rd dog that he has killed in the past 7 years? :shrug:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
camily said:
No. Also, I have three dogs, one cat, a snake and many fish. I work for a vet and rescue and foster dogs. I also just happen to know this man personally and he has been at my house with my Rottie and Chessie (and beyotch of a terrier mix that I love to death!).
How old is he? I went to school with a C Long, and it's bugging the crap out of me.

tom88

allan1058 said:
Just got this email, what a shame....and its here to...

http://wwwstmarystoday.com/News/Family_dog_dead.html

Family Dog Killed by Charles County Deputy

On Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at approximately 2:30 PM, our beloved “Max” a 6-year-old black German Sheppard, was gunned down on our doorstep by Charles County Deputy C Long. Allegedly Deputy Long arrived at our home to serve a warrant on an individual who did not even live with us. He parked on the side of our house, went to our front door and 2 side doors, when no one answered he proceeded around our garage to the side door of the garage. He stated he acknowledged our dog Max when he walked by him. Max, who was on his leash, allegedly snapped at the officer and then the officer allegedly shot Max multiple times in the head, jaw and neck, breaking his choker collar and leaving him to die 2 feet from our door. The officer allegedly went back to his car and called for back up which during that time our son arrived, not seeing anything but Max lying in a pool of blood, picked him up, put him in his truck and raced to the vet in Prince Frederick, but Max died along the way. When my husband and I arrived home shortly after, we found the Benedict Ambulance, 2 unmarked police cars, the animal control van, and 2 Deputy Sheriff cars in our yard, and we still were not sure what had happened. Officer Long was in the ambulance and we were not allowed to speak with him. We were then told they had to take Max with them to do a Rabies test, even though we presented documentation that proved all his shots were up to date, including Rabies. A horrible situation got even worse when they told us we would get our dog back without his head, as that is how they test for rabies! We were told “off the record” that the officer barely needed a band aide, that his pants weren’t even torn. The sadness, pain and distress this situation has caused is indescribable. He was a member of our family and undeniably my husband’s best friend, he spent hours with Max each day, they did everything together. Was his murder justified – NO!

Sharon & Joe Mattia
Hughesville
301-274-3434 (Home)
301-848-9446 (Cell)
I am very sorry for the loss of your dog. Could you please inform the police as to the whereabouts of your son? Thank you and God Bless.

tom88

88stringslouie said:
It's my understanding that the police had no documentation that showed this guy's estranged son ever lived at that address.

Forgetting all that, why did the cop shoot the dog 7 times?
Tell me, what dog have you ever seen that would not succumb to one bullet, let alone 7? That's ridiculous and downright crazy.

I still say there is hogwash going on here. That dog was NOT loose or he would have ran around the front before the cop got out of his car. If the dog broke the leash, there would be proof of that.

Many agencies have to inventory all their ammo. Do they do that in Charles County? If so, is there in fact seven bullets missing from that officer's weapon?
If this is the case, he should be questioned as to why he shot 7 times at the dog. Is he that poor of a shot that he can't hit a dog a point blank range? If the officer is in control of his weapon, there is no way in H$LL that he couldn't shoot the dog. Come on, this story reaks man! Why is it on record that this guy has shot two other dogs? This was in the report on Channel 7.

I say that the guy gets a super high class lawyer to have this thing investigated. I would like to know why he's shot two other dogs.
The son listed this address with the Circuit Court of Charles County. I would suggest you check your facts! And what movie of the week are you watching? This isn't hollywood where an aggressive predator stops with one shot. If a 125 pound dog is moving to you and begins to bite you, one shot is not going to stop it's central nervous system down shutting the dogs reaction down instantly! Wheew....you need a reality check!
:lalala:

Last edited:

tom88

88stringslouie said:
Knowing someone for three years (unless you are married to them, and don't even take that at face value) does not give you much of a character reference.

What the heck does knowing his family have anything to do with this guy shooting a dog? I say that a lawyer needs to subpeona the medical records due to the helacious bite that this "rabid and ferocious" dog inflicted.

I want to know why this guy has shot THREE dogs. I'm telling you, that is plain and downright nasty.
But your ready to judge him in a few sentences of a thread? Hmmm. Perhaps you should listen to yourself!

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
tom88 said:
The son listed this address with the Circuit Court of Charles County. I would suggest you check your facts! And what movie of the week are you watching? This isn't hollywood where an aggressive predator stops with one shot. If a 125 pound dog is moving to you and begins to bite you, one shot is not going to stop it's central nervous system down shutting the dogs reaction down instantly! Wheew....you need a reality check!
:lalala:

And what movie of the week are YOU watching, CUJO?

It was a family pet and he didn't follow protocol.
He should of contacted the dog catcher.
Or maybe your watching CSI. He was issuing a "child support" warrany not a warrant for murder or armed robbery.

tom88

river rat said:
And what movie of the week are YOU watching, CUJO?

It was a family pet and he didn't follow protocol.
He should of contacted the dog catcher.
Or maybe your watching CSI. He was issuing a "child support" warrany not a warrant for murder or armed robbery.
I don't know what protocol your talking about? If a police officer is being attacked by an animal, he has a right to defend himself! The type of warrant is irrelevant! He was there doing the job we pay him to do! Now if it is found the officer did something wrong in the course of his duties then I am all for punishing him! However, lets not take the right of a police officer to defend himself from an attacking animal away. By all accounts, the officer was bitten, therefore I think that speaks as to what type of dog that was!

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
I'd pay to see the pictures of his bite wound.
I stand behind Catt. I'd match her wager. This case has stink written all over it - yet I'm still waiting to hear the whole story. I would, however, pay to see some significant evidence or at the very least, hear the officer speak.

E

(((echo)))

This is so f'n screwed up it's amazing!
I skimmed over the thread and didn't see it touched on BUT there is a point i would like to make...
The cop HAD NO REASON TO DRAW HIS WEAPON! PERIOD.
in the event of an animal attack, his first reaction should have been to discharge his pepper spray, there was no reason for deadly force

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
(((echo))) said:
This is so f'n screwed up it's amazing!
I skimmed over the thread and didn't see it touched on BUT there is a point i would like to make...
The cop HAD NO REASON TO DRAW HIS WEAPON! PERIOD.
in the event of an animal attack, his first reaction should have been to discharge his pepper spray, there was no reason for deadly force

See simple enough, doesn't it?

Dog barking..pulling on chain..oops..better get back to my cruiser.

E

(((echo)))

cattitude said:
See simple enough, doesn't it?

Dog barking..pulling on chain..oops..better get back to my cruiser.
no need to go back to the cruiser...lets say he was correct and he was at the right house for the summons, that is conciddered a "moderate" threat level enviromnent which means in my eyes that he should have been ready to use "less than lethal" tactics...translation...pepperspray would be allready in hand.
it's common sense to know that the dog was allready barking, so he should have known to stay clear of the animal..

Otter

Nothing to see here
tom88 said:
I don't know what protocol your talking about? If a police officer is being attacked by an animal, he has a right to defend himself! The type of warrant is irrelevant! He was there doing the job we pay him to do! Now if it is found the officer did something wrong in the course of his duties then I am all for punishing him! However, lets not take the right of a police officer to defend himself from an attacking animal away. By all accounts, the officer was bitten, therefore I think that speaks as to what type of dog that was!

:lol: Hmmm..dog barking...hmmm..I've already tried 2 other doors and no answer..hmmm..should I call animal control so I can knock on another door?? hmmmm..Wonder if dog will try to protect ITS home..hmmm..ah hell with animal control, I can always just shoot the damn dog..

Yeah, this guy has the judgement of an imbecile, lets give him a gun.

tom88

sockgirl77 said:
My 10 month old daughter bit my ankle. What should I do? :rolleyes:
If your daughter is 125lbs. and requires to be put on a leash when you leave I would suggest crate training her!

tom88

otter said:
:lol: Hmmm..dog barking...hmmm..I've already tried 2 other doors and no answer..hmmm..should I call animal control so I can knock on another door?? hmmmm..Wonder if dog will try to protect ITS home..hmmm..ah hell with animal control, I can always just shoot the damn dog..

Yeah, this guy has the judgement of an imbecile, lets give him a gun.
Is this what happened? Did the officer hear the dog barking then go to a location where the dog could bite him so he could shoot the dog? If these facts are true I would agree with your opinion of them. Somehow I find it hard to believe the officer put himself in harms way just to be able to shoot a dog!