Check your credit card

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Wow. That's one of the last places I'd expect one.

I NEVER use the ATMs at CPFCU either. It just so happened that I was on my way to DC and the girl I was traveling with has a CPFCU account and we both needed money. I have free ATM withdraws with PNC, so I used the CPFCU ATM rather than stopping twice. CPFCU picked up the fraud immediately and blocked accounts of their account holders that were compromised.

There are approximately 60 people who have been hit by this.

KDENISE977

Never had (knock on wood) cc or debit card issues with skimming/fraud etc. I DID however have our Verizon wireless account hacked last week. both my husband and I got texts from VZ wireless at the same time last week. One to say our address had been updated and one to say the account password and user name had changed. Called VZ wireless...someone somehow hacked my account and changed my address to CA in the hopes of ordering a bunch of iPhones. Crazy thing is the girl in customer service was ready to hang up and I said "hey, can you tell me what address you have for us?" and she rattled off something in CA and I was like "yeah...you have a problem" and that's how we found out? :shrug:

somdfunguy

not impressed
It is so important to use random passwords as well as different passwords for each site you visit. Also utilize LastPass, 1Password, or a similar password utility to remember your passwords for you. Create a very long and very strong master password that you change at least yearly. This allows you to have random passwords easily. Even better is to randomize your user name. No reason to use the same name everywhere.

Last edited:
H

Hodr

Maybe Amazon wasn't the weak link?

Bingo. If there was a way of exploiting Amazon's automated payment system (there are no humans involved) then it would be big news. Heck, I would be more tempted to believe a relative pulled the card out of your purse and copied the info than Amazon was at fault.

The #1 online retailer in the world, even whispers of an issue would be plastered on the front of every news site.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Bingo. If there was a way of exploiting Amazon's automated payment system (there are no humans involved) then it would be big news. Heck, I would be more tempted to believe a relative pulled the card out of your purse and copied the info than Amazon was at fault.

The #1 online retailer in the world, even whispers of an issue would be plastered on the front of every news site.

exactly

H

Hodr

Considering the number of people who use their credit/debit card both online and in the dirt world, very few people actually have their card compromised. I think the studies say 18% of adults have had their credit card information stolen, which means that 82% have not.

I have to believe, given how freaking stupid people are, that much of that 18% are people who don't take reasonable precautions. I do EVERYTHING online - like EVERYTHING - and I've had my card compromised I think twice in the last 20 years or so. Knock wood. So be cautious, but no need to freak out.

I think you are right and it has more to do with the user computer than the website. I make several online purchases a day, and have done so for at least twenty years, and have never had a credit card issue that could be traced back to an online purchase.

Gas station in BF Idaho, Wal-Mart in Florida, hotel restaurant in Florida, and currency exchange booth in London. The common thread in every one of those compromises was an actual person other than myself handling the card.

H

Hodr

Merchants need to move more quickly to install and bring on line NFC terminals so that they can accept payments using platforms such as Apple Pay and Google Wallet (though I haven't yet researched how the new Google Wallet works sufficiently to be sure that it's a good option from a security standpoint).

FYSA, Google Wallet is on the way out. Android Pay is their new payment service for NFC transactions.

FYSA, Google Wallet is on the way out. Android Pay is their new payment service for NFC transactions.

Thanks. That's what I was referring to but wasn't remembering (or hadn't realized) that the new service was called Android Pay. So I referred to it as the new Google Wallet. I've been familiar with how Google Wallet worked, I just haven't made time to make sure I understood how Android Pay works so that I could assess whether it was better from a customer security and privacy standpoint.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Same ATM locations, too? If so, that means the ATM is compromised and they need to take care of that.

some yrs ago when the 'new' Orioles Stadium opened

... it was rumored some enterprising criminals put in a 'fake ATM' and for weeks collected mag stripe info and PIN Numbers
people would swipe their card, input the pin code, then get an error trying to withdraw, so the person would go to the next ATM Machine ...
... then picked up the fake atm

http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/1.05/atm.html

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Can't speak to Orioles stadium, but that exploit was a real thing that happened, was a small mall somewhere, CT maybe. Ah, nailed it.....

http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/1.05/atm.html

1993, sat in the mall for 16 days. they got 150K out of it before being popped. Ironically enough, for not paying for the card inscriber machine and the ATM dealer they stiffed :)

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Do you recall anything different when you used the ATM machine?

Nope, not at all. I even had a conversation with the detective handling this about it. She said she probably wouldn't have noticed either.

The reason the thieves were able to get so much money from my account is that I used my PNC account, not my CPFCU account. Therefore, CPFCU had no way to get in contact with me. Those that had CPFCU cards that were compromised were triggered right away and the account shut down. When all of this was happening I was in San Diego. You would THINK that my bank would notice simultaneous transactions on two different coasts and it would be cause for warning, but apparently not. :rolleyes: :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Final determination: skimmer found at the CPFCU location on Maple & 235. Confirmed by St Mary's County Sheriff's Office.

The skimmer was on the ATM for about a 24-hour period on 09/12.

Wow!

But that had nothing to do with your theft, right?

(Never mind, I just saw your next post.)

H

Hodr

FYI, PNC (and most other banks) will allow you to set custom alerts. I have alerts for credit card transactions online and at gas stations, for ATM withdrawals, and for any transaction over $100 (or that pushes the total over $100 in a day) or any overseas transaction.

And they come quick. I get the e-mail (choice of e-mail or text) of a gas station authorization while I am still filling up.

glhs837

Power with Control
http://gizmodo.com/the-gizmodo-guide-to-the-new-emv-chip-credit-card-payme-1734011799

A good primer on the new chip cards and how they work. Basically, it's very similar to the security method used by both Apple Pay and Android Pay (that was Google Wallet, and that swallowed the Verizon/ATT/Sprint Isis/Softcard system whole) in that each transaction is processed using what's essentially a one time pad, meaning at no time does your main account information enter the vendors system. they get a number good for that one transaction that will never work again. your card issuer knows what account is linked to that number, but the person you gave the card too does not.

H

Hodr

http://gizmodo.com/the-gizmodo-guide-to-the-new-emv-chip-credit-card-payme-1734011799

A good primer on the new chip cards and how they work. Basically, it's very similar to the security method used by both Apple Pay and Android Pay (that was Google Wallet, and that swallowed the Verizon/ATT/Sprint Isis/Softcard system whole) in that each transaction is processed using what's essentially a one time pad, meaning at no time does your main account information enter the vendors system. they get a number good for that one transaction that will never work again. your card issuer knows what account is linked to that number, but the person you gave the card too does not.

I don't think many people have an issue with the security of the chip, though chip and pin is somewhat better than chip and signature from a verification of card ownership standpoint.

The problem remains the strip.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Just got a call from Credit Card fraud people.
I got hacked today.
6 charges from NY.
First charge starts out at $5.00 to make sure it's good, then BAM off they go with their spending spree.

Why can't they catch these people?
Cameras everywhere.