Check your credit card

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Just got a call from Credit Card fraud people.
I got hacked today.
6 charges from NY.
First charge starts out at $5.00 to make sure it's good, then BAM off they go with their spending spree.

Why can't they catch these people?
Cameras everywhere.

But on a good note.
My new tires purchase from tire rack went through.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Just got a call from Credit Card fraud people.
I got hacked today.
6 charges from NY.
First charge starts out at $5.00 to make sure it's good, then BAM off they go with their spending spree.

Why can't they catch these people?
Cameras everywhere.
I've been hacked 3 times this year (January, March and September). Never in my life has this happened before and suddenly I'm a target. :lol:

Oh well! It is nice that in this day, we can get our money back quickly.

And many times there is no single person; it is a "ring" of people committing the crime(s), which makes finding them difficult.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I've been hacked 3 times this year (January, March and September). Never in my life has this happened before and suddenly I'm a target. :lol:

Oh well! It is nice that in this day, we can get our money back quickly.

And many times there is no single person; it is a "ring" of people committing the crime(s), which makes finding them difficult.
The Bank is sending new cards w/ the chip.
Did you get hacked with a chip card?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
No, they were all non-chip cards. Since then my debit and credit cards have both been replaced with chips, but I am finding that the majority of stores I shop at (excluding Target), do not have the proper hardware for the chip technology. :lol:

frequentflier

happy to be living
The credit card companies and banks have effectively put the burden on the retailer. The chip readers are expensive and somewhat hard to get. In addition to a chip reader, all software must be updated. To update one register in my store plus update five computer systems it will cost about $1600.
The down side to the retailer not having this chip reader is that we are now responsible if we take a stolen credit card.

The Bank is sending new cards w/ the chip.

No, they were all non-chip cards. Since then my debit and credit cards have both been replaced with chips, but I am finding that the majority of stores I shop at (excluding Target), do not have the proper hardware for the chip technology. :lol:

It's my understanding that the chip will do nothing for purchases not made in person at a register, so getting hacked is still a possibility. The chip just generates a one-time authorization code to be used with your PIN when making a register purchase.

Is the new credit card system safer? Not really.

It'll be harder for thieves to create fake physical copies of your card, like they do today. But they can still just type in the stolen credit card number online.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/25/technology/credit-card-chips-hackers/

And then there is this:

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/chip-n-pin-foreign-currency-vulnerability/

Because the cards allow for contactless transactions, wherein consumers need only have the card in the vicinity of a reader without swiping it, a thief carrying a card reader designed to read a card that’s stored in a wallet or purse could conduct fraudulent transactions without the victim ever removing their card.

Since the transaction is done offline without going through a retailer’s point-of-sale system, no other security checks are done.

“With just a mobile phone we created a POS terminal that could read a card through a wallet,” Martin Emms, lead researcher of the project that uncovered the flaw, noted in a statement about the findings. “All the checks are carried out on the card rather than the terminal so at the point of transaction, there is nothing to raise suspicions. By pre-setting the amount you want to transfer, you can bump your mobile against someone’s pocket or swipe your phone over a wallet left on a table and approve a transaction.”

In tests the researchers conducted, transactions took less than a second to be approved.

Chipped cards in the US still have the mag stripe. Until that goes away and the readers are no longer used this problem exists. Many stores have the new readers but they are dual, you can swipe or insert the chip. We will get there but it is still a few years away.

Bingo. The new fraud is to re-write the mag strip and make the card think it no longer has a chip.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/03/tec...oneybin080316credit-card-chips-flaw0900vodtop

Computer researchers claim to have found yet another flaw in the upgrade to the chip-based credit cards in the United States.

The chip on these credit cards have been praised for making them nearly impossible to counterfeit. While the cards also contain a magnetic strip, that strip is supposed to tell the payment machine to use the chip.

But there's a relatively easy way to knock down that safeguard.

Computer security researchers at the payment technology company NCR demonstrated how credit card thieves can rewrite the magnetic stripe code to make it appear like a chipless card again. This allows them to keep counterfeiting -- just like they did before the nationwide switch to chip cards.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We travel full time and therefore are very security conscious. However, I got annoyed when my credit card was declined at the Buckee's in Temple because my credit card company didn't trace my trajectory. My fault, I didn't have my phone on me. If I had, I'd have gotten the text they sent me saying they flagged my purchase and if I really was in the Buckee's in Temple, TX I should respond with at Y and try my purchase again.

So on one hand, security is irritating; but on the other hand I appreciate it. Except when it's inconvenient for me, which the credit card company has no way of knowing

Anyway, I keep a big balance in my checking so I can use debit if my hug-you credit card company needs to give me the Bornemeier death grip.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We travel full time and therefore are very security conscious. However, I got annoyed when my credit card was declined at the Buckee's in Temple because my credit card company didn't trace my trajectory. My fault, I didn't have my phone on me. If I had, I'd have gotten the text they sent me saying they flagged my purchase and if I really was in the Buckee's in Temple, TX I should respond with at Y and try my purchase again.

So on one hand, security is irritating; but on the other hand I appreciate it. Except when it's inconvenient for me, which the credit card company has no way of knowing

Anyway, I keep a big balance in my checking so I can use debit if my hug-you credit card company needs to bundle me.

A couple of years ago, Bug and I were in California (I know, big surprise there!) but after I had rented a car at SJO and made a couple of small purchases, I did get a text from NFCU to find out if the $200 purchase I made in Santa Cruz was viable. Yes, it was. But I did appreciate it.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Anyway, I keep a big balance in my checking so I can use debit if my hug-you credit card company needs to give me the Bornemeier death grip.

If your debit card ever gets compromised it will take a week or two to get that balance back. Credit cards are always the best option for purchases.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If your debit card ever gets compromised it will take a week or two to get that balance back. Credit cards are always the best option for purchases.

It's not big enough that I can't live without it for a couple weeks. It's just enough cushion in case my credit card company decides to protect me at an inopportune moment.

glhs837

Power with Control
Navy Federal has always been great on this. Shut me down a few months back, I was able to go get a new card the next day at the local branch. A couple years back, they Fedexed me a new card at the hotel I was at.