Cheeseburger in Paradise

black dog

Free America
:lol: Used to go to Beltsville a lot prior to it changing to a different standard of movies in the mid 60s.

That new standard is the only standard my generation had the pleasure of viewing their.
I always laughed about the man's name that built it, Sidney Lust.

Grumpy

That new standard is the only standard my generation had the pleasure of viewing their.
I always laughed about the man's name that built it, Sidney Lust.

My best friend was Sidney's nephew or great nephew..always got free passes to Beltsville and Cheverly Theater.

Grumpy

Holy crap...my first "real" gf lived on Riding Stable Rd in Laurel. I lived in Glenelg, in Howard County, when we first started dating, but had my own place in Mt. Airy before I graduated HS. Long-arsed drives back and forth in my '57 Chevy that ate 103 octane and got crappy fuel mileage. Ahh...but I was in love.

Was that when you wrote Radar Love?

black dog

Free America
My best friend was Sidney's nephew or great nephew..always got free passes to Beltsville and Cheverly Theater.

That's living good... About the only free thing I got as a kid was free bus transfers from my two great uncle's or my grandfather.

littlelady

God bless the USA
We went to CIP, once, when we moved to Calvert. We were not impressed. In fact, we gave up going to St. Mary’s, all together, after we were informed about what bad condition the bridge is in. If, something wasn’t on the Calvert side, we decided we didn’t need it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
:lmao:

I don't remember the last time I ate there.

:mad: Granted, it was only crappy nachos but it wasn't that long ago. :lol:

Sorry for the folks that worked there but I think the handwriting has been on the wall for a long time. Shades of what Ruby Tuesday did to their workers when they closed several months ago. Seems to be the new corporate way of handling things. :ohwell:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Sorry for the folks that worked there but I think the handwriting has been on the wall for a long time. Shades of what Ruby Tuesday did to their workers when they closed several months ago. Seems to be the new corporate way of handling things. :ohwell:

Lowe's did a similar thing to the 99 Orchard Supply Stores they own in California, Oregon and Florida on Wednesday...oh, BTW, we start the going out of business sale next week.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Lowe's did a similar thing to the 99 Orchard Supply Stores they own in California, Oregon and Florida on Wednesday...oh, BTW, we start the going out of business sale next week.

I read about that a couple of days ago. Playing catch up with Home Depot, so they are closing the Orchard Supply Stores and reducing inventory in their Lowe's stores to get rid of under-selling products to be more competitive. At least they are not suddenly closing and have plenty of lead time for the workers to find other jobs.

I also hear a rumor that Bed, Bath, and Beyond in Wildewood may be closing because of increased rental costs for that shopping center but have seen no verification of that.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Yeah...such a crappy way to treat employees. Jeez.

I hope mine aren't too angry when I give them the bad news 5 minutes before quitting time today. ;-0

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I read about that a couple of days ago. Playing catch up with Home Depot, so they are closing the Orchard Supply Stores and reducing inventory in their Lowe's stores to get rid of under-selling products to be more competitive. At least they are not suddenly closing and have plenty of lead time for the workers to find other jobs.

(snip)

I've been with Lowe's almost 16 years (almost 6 at this store), and this is the 1st time in over a decade I've had hope for the long term viability of the company. Watched a presentation that the new CEO, current CFO and current Chief Customer Officer gave to hourly employees at our corporate service center yesterday. Marvin Ellison seems very aware of the mistakes the past executive team has made, like buying Orchard out of bankruptcy from Sears Holdings 5 years ago.

In paraphrase he said they swung for the fences and whiffed. No more big project roll outs, will be manageable, incremental change from now on.

Our immediate past CIO looked like he was going to survive the change in leadership. Had an "upgrade" of our timekeeping/scheduling software 2 weeks ago yesterday and today. The following Monday, CIO was thrown to the curb with the way things bolluxed up other systems.

Marvin seems to have compassion for the hourlies (all Orchard employees will be given preferential treatment if they seek jobs with Lowe's, and out placement assistance if not).

He also has seen that the store management re-shaping that has happened over the past 3 years is a failure, as is our ability to keep the shelves stocked and to have job lot quantities for the pro customer.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

:blushing:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I've been with Lowe's almost 16 years (almost 6 at this store), and this is the 1st time in over a decade I've had hope for the long term viability of the company. Watched a presentation that the new CEO, current CFO and current Chief Customer Officer gave to hourly employees at our corporate service center yesterday. Marvin Ellison seems very aware of the mistakes the past executive team has made, like buying Orchard out of bankruptcy from Sears Holdings 5 years ago.

In paraphrase he said they swung for the fences and whiffed. No more big project roll outs, will be manageable, incremental change from now on.

Our immediate past CIO looked like he was going to survive the change in leadership. Had an "upgrade" of our timekeeping/scheduling software 2 weeks ago yesterday and today. The following Monday, CIO was thrown to the curb with the way things bolluxed up other systems.

Marvin seems to have compassion for the hourlies (all Orchard employees will be given preferential treatment if they seek jobs with Lowe's, and out placement assistance if not).

He also has seen that the store management re-shaping that has happened over the past 3 years is a failure, as is our ability to keep the shelves stocked and to have job lot quantities for the pro customer.

My brother works for a Lowes store in Richmond. He has only been with them for about 6 months and likes the company but cannot get full-time hours so he is looking for a job elsewhere. Hope the new (formerly of JCPenney) CEO has a good plan and it works out.

black dog

Free America
My brother works for a Lowes store in Richmond. He has only been with them for about 6 months and likes the company but cannot get full-time hours so he is looking for a job elsewhere. Hope the new (formerly of JCPenney) CEO has a good plan and it works out.

My ex worked for Lowe's before our son was born for more than 10 years selling kitchen cabinets. It was a great company to work for then, good pay and decent commission on what she sold. Employees could buy anything in the store or special order for 2% above cost.
Working full time wasn't a problem and if needed over time. There always was something being blown out for sale before the store opened that the employees could buy for penny's on the dollar. She left Lowe's about 20 years ago shortly after the powers that be took away the good discounts and some other perks I don't remember.
She enjoyed the years she worked for them.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

I do not know if Marvin will buck the industry trend of having a higher proportion of part time versus full time, but he seems to know our staffing levels, of knowledgeable associates Is Not where they need to be.