Cheeseburger in Paradise

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My ex worked for Lowe's before our son was born for more than 10 years selling kitchen cabinets. It was a great company to work for then, good pay and decent commission on what she sold. Employees could buy anything in the store or special order for 2% above cost.
Working full time wasn't a problem and if needed over time. There always was something being blown out for sale before the store opened that the employees could buy for penny's on the dollar. She left Lowe's about 20 years ago shortly after the powers that be took away the good discounts and some other perks I don't remember.
She enjoyed the years she worked for them.

I came in at the end of the Tillman-Stone years, the old Power of Pride and Retire Rich era.

Niblock-Damron who took over at the end of January 2005 dismantled all of that in the name of Shareholder Value.
They still get the kickbacks from the vendors that used to go into spiffs and commissions, but do not pass it on to the sales staff any more.

Heck, we don't even get the $35 combined Thansgiving/Christmas bonus (when I started it was $25 at each holiday, as a gift certificate to a local grocer), the $35 was paid on our checks, so it was taxed.

When that went away Niblock (CEO/President/Chairman) announced it was due to tight financial considerations, then 2 weeks later announces spending $23 Million on that damn #48 car.

Employee discount is a straight 10%, which can not be combined with other discounts (except military on Memorial Day, July 4 and Veteran's Day), used to be able to get the employee discount on the net after other discounts.

I do not think the "Golden Age" will come back, but I do think we'll see a "Silver Age" as opposed to the current "Lead Age."

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Trolls like under the Bridge, not driving over it.

Poor Hankaroo. I feel sorry for him wondering if the bridge will fall on him. How do you know trolls like living under bridges? Do you know any trolls, personally? If you do, do you know if they are hypocrites, mean hearted, clueless, bored, narcissistic, frustrated, sad, unhappy, have a lot of idle time, or what? I would appreciate the info because I have never understood trolls, and don’t have time for that. TIA. :smile:

Last edited:

BOP

That seems to be the common theme around here. Corporate opens a place and runs it tip-top for about 6 months to a year. Then, they hand it all over to 'local talent' and the place goes to sh!t. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

Ed Zachery.

BOP

Never fear! The next chain place will follow the mantra and bring in corporate crews to launch. It will be good and the heffers will flock for about 6 months to a year. Then, local 'talent' will take over and begin the steady decline towards closing :yay:

Pretty much what happened to Cracker Barrel, and I love Cracker Barrel. Just not this Cracker Barrel.

BernieP

Resident PIA
The handful of times I did go there, I was unimpressed with both the food and the service. And the music was so loud inside. Call me old- HA!- but I want to be able to talk to my friends without yelling!

It was mostly a bar. I was in there early evening to meet a friend and almost everyone was there for happy hours, few if any people in booths for dinner.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I love Cracker Barrel. Just not this Cracker Barrel.

To me, the fact that local operators could screw up something as universally standard as a Cracker Barrel was the nail in the coffin...this area simply does not have many people that can manage, or work well in, restaurants.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
To me, the fact that local operators could screw up something as universally standard as a Cracker Barrel was the nail in the coffin...this area simply does not have many people that can manage, or work well in, restaurants.

Why do you suppose that is? Because I've noticed it as well, especially since we started traveling full time. And some restaurants do manage to find and keep good staff, but there are an awful lot of places that don't.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Why do you suppose that is? Because I've noticed it as well, especially since we started traveling full time. And some restaurants do manage to find and keep good staff, but there are an awful lot of places that don't.

No clue. But since I spend a lot of time "on the road", it's something I noticed a long time ago.

ltown81

Cheeseburger in Paradise was a great concept being basically a mini Margaritaville. When it first opened was owned by Outback (who origninally partnered with Buffet), it was great food wise and they had a great drink menu. Once Outback decided to sell it, it went down hill fast in terms of food and service. Luby's bought CHIP (they also own Fuddruckers), and started turning them all into some version of Fudruckers. The one here and one other was the only two CBIP still left for several years. I do not think it closed due to poor sales, they did a lot of bar business. My guess is that the location was so far out the way, they decided not to invest in making it a Fudruckers, and instead closed it at the end of the lease. If I remember right it has been open like 10 years.

Ruddy Duck was terrible when it opened, but the owners constantly tweak and revise things to fix concerns. Now it is one of the best down here.

I am normally not a fan of most mom and pop places because they don't have the structure over them to uphold standards. Most chains have some kind of corporate oversight and inspections, where mom and pops stay open as long as the health department is happy.

In terms of why service at restaurants here sucks, its because of the job market. People expect to make $20 an hour doing anything here, and even if they do, they still feel like they should have a job on the base.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Cheeseburger in Paradise was a great concept being basically a mini Margaritaville. When it first opened was owned by Outback (who origninally partnered with Buffet), it was great food wise and they had a great drink menu. Once Outback decided to sell it, it went down hill fast in terms of food and service. Luby's bought CHIP (they also own Fuddruckers), and started turning them all into some version of Fudruckers. The one here and one other was the only two CBIP still left for several years. I do not think it closed due to poor sales, they did a lot of bar business. My guess is that the location was so far out the way, they decided not to invest in making it a Fudruckers, and instead closed it at the end of the lease. If I remember right it has been open like 10 years.

Ruddy Duck was terrible when it opened, but the owners constantly tweak and revise things to fix concerns. Now it is one of the best down here.

I am normally not a fan of most mom and pop places because they don't have the structure over them to uphold standards. Most chains have some kind of corporate oversight and inspections, where mom and pops stay open as long as the health department is happy.

In terms of why service at restaurants here sucks, its because of the job market. People expect to make $20 an hour doing anything here, and even if they do, they still feel like they should have a job on the base.

The only problem I remember them having back then was the noise, it was exceptionally loud and echoey. This is the same problem that Pax river alehouse has.

black dog

Free America
The only problem I remember them having back then was the noise, it was exceptionally loud and echoey. This is the same problem that Pax river alehouse has.

My ex and I went there twice within the first few months after it opened. The food sucked, we never went back.

Grumpy

I think its everywhere local nowadays, I see very little difference in places in Va, DC, Annapolis, Baltimore.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

One question about Cracker Barrels. Why do the ones in Maryland not have Cod on Fridays? Every other state does, just not Maryland.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Still 2 CBIP locations; Omaha, NE and Secaucus, NJ.

I remember the original Fuddrucker's fondly, went there on off weekends from USAF Basic, loved the steak sandwiches.