Chopticon teacher on a week +++cruise???

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Get a freaking grip. Teachers are entitled to vacation just like you. And when they sign their contract, they aren't subject to penalties for taking vacations outside of the normal realm of YOUR expectations. Besides, most teachers don't take vacations in August so that they can prepare to go back into the classroom, and many teachers are teaching summer school in the summer or taking classes that they don't have time to take during the school year.

How would you feel if your boss told you that you couldn't take a vacation a specific time of year?

LateApex

This is why my kids now go to private school. I think 3 days would be plenty but a week plus is harmfull to their education. But like you said the world needs garbage collecters and burger flippers...that's what public schools are known for.

Karma's a #####.

Most kids that I know ended up being druggies or drop outs. Going to a private school does not equate to being successful. Often times it just means the parents have more money.

I went to a private school for about a year and got out because it just wasn't worth it. Most of my schooling was public. I make almost 100k a year.

I hope you really don't think this way. The school is just a tool - the child and child's parents are what makes the student...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Get a freaking grip. Teachers are entitled to vacation just like you. And when they sign their contract, they aren't subject to penalties for taking vacations outside of the normal realm of YOUR expectations. Besides, most teachers don't take vacations in August so that they can prepare to go back into the classroom, and many teachers are teaching summer school in the summer or taking classes that they don't have time to take during the school year.

How would you feel if your boss told you that you couldn't take a vacation a specific time of year?

And again, teachers that teach summer school make more money, and it's VOLUNTARY..

How would I feel if my boss told me when I HAD to take my 3 months off a year?? Pretty damn happy actually..

Lets see.. You HAVE to take 3 weeks off over Christmas and New Years.. Than another week in the Spring.. and multiple other holidays.. and Fridays.. oh and you are REQUIRED to take June July and August off.. You have NO choice..

yep, that would just bum the hell out of me..

JLS

:drama: Teachers should be at school every single day! How dare they have lives?! :drama: Who cares if they probably take work home with them every single day?! They should never be allowed to leave!

:rolleyes: They need breaks, too. Unless you think it's cool to never take sick leave or personal days. :shrug: If the teacher has leave, she should be allowed to use it.

I agree, teachers need a break just like the rest of us do.. probably moreso depending on the grade they teach...

LateApex

And again, teachers that teach summer school make more money, and it's VOLUNTARY..

How would I feel if my boss told me when I HAD to take my 3 months off a year?? Pretty damn happy actually..

Lets see.. You HAVE to take 3 weeks off over Christmas and New Years.. Than another week in the Spring.. and multiple other holidays.. and Fridays.. oh and you are REQUIRED to take June July and August off.. You have NO choice..

yep, that would just bum the hell out of me..

And then get paid a paltry pittance... I would be bummed too...

They have vacation - why not use it? Plus - they leave lesson plans behind and substitutes are capable people; it is not like they are left to run blind with a room full of kids?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And then get paid a paltry pittance... I would be bummed too...

We all make choices.. I chose the $$$. They chose the time off.

Although, from what I understand, around here they aren't that underpaid, and the benefits are nothing to sneeze at. Isn't the start pay around here >40k??

Now where I came from they made 4 times the local average.. They had all the nice houses, the boats, the new cars.. and they STILL went out on strike.

Picketing in front of the School Board's president's house.. it was nothing more than a shack.. asking for more money, better benefits.. they have NO shame.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
I had a problem last year with my daughters teacher taking a lot of time off. I didn't mind the subs but everytime my daughter came home she said they watched a movie. She said the sub was told to show movies and read. I don't know if her teacher did this because she was young and inexperienced or if she just didn't care. She was a very friendly teacher though. Just didn't think she took the job serious IMO

OldHillcrestGuy

Actually by the time school gets out in June and starts back up in August, its more like 60 days, and most teachers take the 12 month pay option and spread out their pay over the whole year.

W

wkndbeacher

I used to love having substitutes, it was playtime or in high school(time to skip)

This is why my kids now go to private school. I think 3 days would be plenty but a week plus is harmfull to their education. But like you said the world needs garbage collecters and burger flippers...that's what public schools are known for.

What kind of school did you attend???
You flip burgers or empty garbage cans???
Your kids go to private schools because the teachers are allowed leave?
Check with your private school sweetheart - bet they have leave.

I have no gripes about people sending their kids to a private school - I went to a private school up until 6th grade... when I entered the public school system I believe I got the same education. My math skills and science skills were low (looking back) - I worked hard and had good teachers who worked with me and they wound up being my BEST subjects when I went into HS.

When people make a comment like that it really burns me, and I am sure teachers take offense.

Your next response will be about drugs in public schools - guess what, the rich snooty kids in private schools have the high $$$ drugs - you know, the REALLY GOOD shiat!

Please - just think before you comment like that.

:smack:

Last edited:

caramelalb

Public schools are also renowned for producing doctor's, lawyer's, engineers, brain surgeons and even great politicians, congressman and senators and their parents didn't have to spend $5 - 10k a year to get them their education..

Who's the moron??

We were told that less than 20 students from Choption went off to 4 year universities last year. Thats wonderful:bigwhoop:

blazinlow89

Big Poppa

So its the teachers fault when the kid doesnt want to learn or pay attention, it wouldnt matter if the teacher was out for a month, if your kid doesnt want to learn it doesnt matter.

:roflmao: Are you serious? I'd say garbage collectors and burger flippers come from parents who are too lazy to teach their children anything...they expect the teachers to do ALL the work, and they blame the teachers if the kid is a lazy bum and gets bad grades. :shrug:

Exactly, they dont want to blame the kid when the teacher hard enough as it is.

We were told that less than 20 students from Choption went off to 4 year universities last year. Thats wonderful:bigwhoop:

You were told - how about going to the school and ask for the statistics? They will be glad to show them to you...

How many of the kids went to CSM??? Most of them do BEFORE they transfer to a 4 year university! :smack:

caramelalb

We all make choices.. I chose the $$$. They chose the time off.

Although, from what I understand, around here they aren't that underpaid, and the benefits are nothing to sneeze at. Isn't the start pay around here >40k??

Now where I came from they made 4 times the local average.. They had all the nice houses, the boats, the new cars.. and they STILL went out on strike.

Picketing in front of the School Board's president's house.. it was nothing more than a shack.. asking for more money, better benefits.. they have NO shame.

Their bebefits are wonderful! My neighbour works 3 hours a day in the kitchen at Dynard and makes $15.00 per hour with FULL BENEFITS for a 3 hour a day job. That's pretty darn good.

caramelalb

You were told - how about going to the school and ask for the statistics? They will be glad to show them to you...

How many of the kids went to CSM??? Most of them do BEFORE they transfer to a 4 year university! :smack:

We were told this by the guidance dept when we registered.