continued freakout over guns

Chris0nllyn

I would love to see the video, which you know they have. Every square inch of any Walmart has a camera on it.

And if it jives with witness accounts....

that store has about 120 cameras, so it shouldn't be too hard.

One 911 call released by Beavercreek police was from Ronald Ritchie of Riverside, who was inside Walmart. He told dispatchers at 8:21 p.m. Tuesday that he saw a man “walking around with a gun in the store.”

Ritchie, an ex-Marine, said the man was pointing a black rifle at people near the pet section and that “he’s loading it right now.” Later, he said, “He looked like he was trying to load it, I don’t know.” He then added, “He just pointed it at two children.”

It's now known the guy was holding a Crosman MK-177. If anyone has been to Wal-Marts that sell these, they're typically sitting in boxes on the shelf. It's not inconceivable that he opened the box and was playing around with it when someone walked by as he was doing so.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's not inconceivable that he opened the box and was playing around with it when someone walked by as he was doing so.

How long do you suppose it took between the time of the call to police, and their actual arrival? Because the guy still had the rifle in his hands when police showed up.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
from a ####ing BB Gun

It's nice that you are clairvoyant and know everything without being told or having any real contact with the situation. Not everyone has that gift and they actually have to get close and take a look. Because, ya know, they're all BB guns...until they're not.

On another note, it would give me a lot of pleasure to have someone burst into your office and point a rifle at you. Then, after you've already #### your pants, they could go, "Ha ha! Sike! Just a BB gun!" Especially since you're such a home protection kinda guy and all, maybe you'd shoot him...and we could laugh at you for getting upset over a "####ing BB gun".

Idiot.

Chris0nllyn

How long do you suppose it took between the time of the call to police, and their actual arrival? Because the guy still had the rifle in his hands when police showed up.

Who knows. I would imagine if a "man with gun at Wal-Mart" call came in, they'd be there pretty quick.

He could have been looking at a few and just was holding this one when they showed up, not necessarily holding the same pellet gun the whole time.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm going to mention that witnesses suck, as a general rule. Not going pro or con yet, as someone once said, "Dont jump to conclusions, just listen to whatever the nice officer said, he's a cop, and they would never lie." Or something like that :)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm going to mention that witnesses suck, as a general rule. Not going pro or con yet, as someone once said, "Dont jump to conclusions, just listen to whatever the nice officer said, he's a cop, and they would never lie." Or something like that :)

It's not just witnesses. It's we, the people, in general. It's not easy for a cop to be told 'man pointing gun at people in store, get here soon!' and get there, see what you expected and, while you are all jacked up, still be in complete control and being to discern and evaluate the threat in a few heart beats. The ones that bother me are like Waco and the homeless guy in New Mexico where the cops, basically, get bored. Split second stuff, that's not easy. That's another reason I am pro second amendment; if the people in the store, being the ones on the scene, being the ones dealing with the details, then, they can act and the cops can come clean up the mess and write the reports. It's one view of events when you can call the cops and say "I feel skeered! Come deal with it!" and a whole other thing to have the responsibility of discerning "Ok, it's just a dumb ####, so, no need to get excited and pull my blaster out..." So, in the mean time, we grow more and more scared and less and less capable and responsible.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Who knows. I would imagine if a "man with gun at Wal-Mart" call came in, they'd be there pretty quick.

He could have been looking at a few and just was holding this one when they showed up, not necessarily holding the same pellet gun the whole time.

That could be. However it's reasonable to assume that someone probably said something to him, or he at least noticed there was a disturbance before the cops showed up. Or maybe not, but he definitely had to notice when the cops told him to drop the gun and get on the floor. So why not simply put the pellet rifle down when told to do so? Or is that a violation of his 2A rights?

With the story as reported, I'm siding with the cops on this one. GURPS should probably go into law enforcement since he knows what type of weapon a person is brandishing instantly and without having to look at it, but most cops don't have that mind reading ability. Calling this one "suicide by cop".

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

depending on the walmart ... the cop could have been in the store already working his second JOB

Chris0nllyn

That could be. However it's reasonable to assume that someone probably said something to him, or he at least noticed there was a disturbance before the cops showed up. Or maybe not, but he definitely had to notice when the cops told him to drop the gun and get on the floor. So why not simply put the pellet rifle down when told to do so? Or is that a violation of his 2A rights?

With the story as reported, I'm siding with the cops on this one. GURPS should probably go into law enforcement since he knows what type of weapon a person is brandishing instantly and without having to look at it, but most cops don't have that mind reading ability. Calling this one "suicide by cop".

Who knows.

Hypothetical.....You're holding a BB gun, I yell "Drop the gun", then immediately shoot afterwards in fear for my life.

Technically, I could claim that I told you to drop it. Then folks would be asking why he didn't just drop the BB gun after having a real gun pointed at him.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Who knows.

Hypothetical.....You're holding a BB gun, I yell "Drop the gun", then immediately shoot afterwards in fear for my life.

Technically, I could claim that I told you to drop it. Then folks would be asking why he didn't just drop the BB gun after having a real gun pointed at him.

Well, and then there's the other side:

You're sitting at Luby's enjoying your meatloaf and Boston cream pie when some guy stalks in with a rifle in his hand. You happen to be carrying. How many seconds do you have to determine if he's a threat or not? Do you wait for him to shoot someone? If he raises the rifle and takes aim, would you drop him or wait to see if it's just a BB gun?

We expect cops to be these perfect machines who know everything before it happens and can assess a situation within a split second, but that's not reality. Reality is: don't go out in public waving a gun around. You're doubly stupid if it turns out you were waving around some toy weapon, especially in this day and age. It may be your "right" to do so, but if you get shot dead it's your own fault.

Chris0nllyn

Well, and then there's the other side:

You're sitting at Luby's enjoying your meatloaf and Boston cream pie when some guy stalks in with a rifle in his hand. You happen to be carrying. How many seconds do you have to determine if he's a threat or not? Do you wait for him to shoot someone? If he raises the rifle and takes aim, would you drop him or wait to see if it's just a BB gun?

We expect cops to be these perfect machines who know everything before it happens and can assess a situation within a split second, but that's not reality. Reality is: don't go out in public waving a gun around. You're doubly stupid if it turns out you were waving around some toy weapon, especially in this day and age. It may be your "right" to do so, but if you get shot dead it's your own fault.

That is, of course, assuming he was "waiving the gun around", and not simply looking over a toy gun, in the toy gun aisle.

We'll get the whole picture when the security camera footage comes out I guess.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I know that if I was the guy with the pellet gun in my hand and someone in the store said "Drop it!" I'd turn around to see what was going on. Since I know that I'm not creating a scene, I would like to know who's ordering someone else to "Drop It! and hit the ground." The cop, or cops, on the other hand, would see me (previously described as crazy man with an AK-47 to the dispatcher. Who know WHAT she described me as on the radio) turning with whatever cannon the dispatcher said I was blasting away in the store. Yep, I'd probably be tempted to pull the trigger if I was the cop and I would wonder who ####ed up if I was the guy carrying the unloaded, uncharged, uncocked pellet gun.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That is, of course, assuming he was "waiving the gun around", and not simply looking over a toy gun, in the toy gun aisle.

Air rifles are not in the toy section, no matter what those idiots commenting about that story say. They are usually by sporting goods. I believe they are also behind the counter in a case, but don't quote me on that because I haven't been in that section of WalMart in awhile.

So if you were standing at the gun counter at WalMart looking at an air rifle, a salesperson would be there with you to assist your purchase. It's not a toy and they're not treated as toys. It will be interesting to see the security video but by the time it comes out I'll have forgotten all about this and won't give a damn.

Regardless, the media got a hate 2-fer on this: cops shoots black guy....IN WAL-MART!!!!

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The comments on that story are frightening. First of all, a bunch of liberal race baiters and whitey haters; second, a bunch of anti-gun freaks; third, how did we become a nation of cop haters?
As to the third point, they let cops like it's required speak in public.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Walmart Airgun Death Looks Worse Every Passing Day

We’d mentioned in our previous post on the subject that it appeared to us that Crawford had been SWATted by a former Marine and his wife.

Ronald Ritchie made the 911 call to police that set events in motion, and even though his wife April was confined April and Ronald Ritchie, in an interview Wednesday night with News Center 7′s Jessica Heffner and Dayton Daily News Staff Writer Kelli Wynn, said they were in the hardware department when they saw a man leaving an aisle and walk past them with the rifle pointed toward the sky.

“He got on his cell phone right after he walked past me,” April Ritchie said. Ritchie was on her cell phone, talking with her mother. She had broken an ankle and was riding a scooter.

“Guy. Gun. Hold on,” April Ritchie recalled telling her mother.

They followed the man at a safe distance :eyebrow: and Ronald Ritchie, a former Marine, called 911 at 8:21 p.m.

[clip]

The behavior of the Ritchies as they described it was odd, to put it mildly. A man who seriously fears that he is in sight of an armed threat does not allow his injured wife to trail the “dangerous suspect” in a Walmart scooter, where she would be an easy target.

Chris0nllyn

Air rifles are not in the toy section, no matter what those idiots commenting about that story say. They are usually by sporting goods. I believe they are also behind the counter in a case, but don't quote me on that because I haven't been in that section of WalMart in awhile.

So if you were standing at the gun counter at WalMart looking at an air rifle, a salesperson would be there with you to assist your purchase. It's not a toy and they're not treated as toys. It will be interesting to see the security video but by the time it comes out I'll have forgotten all about this and won't give a damn.

Regardless, the media got a hate 2-fer on this: cops shoots black guy....IN WAL-MART!!!!

I said "toy gun aisle". Both Wal-Marts I've been to recently had them sitting on the shelf in the "toy gun aisle". they were with all the other BB/Pellet guns and airsoft guns and equipment. They are not locked up (though they probably will be now) and no Wal-Mart employee needs to be there to assist someone looking at one.

...but I don't want to quote you or anything.

glhs837

Power with Control

When I bought both the CO2 powered pellet pistol and the hand pump air powered pellet rifle, both were right off the rack. Was in sporting goods, about 20 whole feet from bikes and toys. Actually saw a post by a guy who had been a Wal-Mart Manager who said it wasnt uncommon to find them out of the boxes and in other nearby areas like automotive and toys.