continued freakout over guns

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Military apparel is almost as unpredictable as firearms are, you know.

Indeed .... my 16 yr old son is in trouble then

I gave him one of these I bought in the 90's

german_splinter_border_guard_jacket.jpg

and this;

swiss_alpenflage_jacket.jpg

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Indeed .... my 16 yr old son is in trouble then

I gave him one of these I bought in the 90's

When the thing turns rogue and destroys your son's acquaintances, you'll be the guy on the Huff-Po article trying to explain how you could have done such a foolish thing when the boy was too young to understand the danger.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
When the thing turns rogue and destroys your son's acquaintances, you'll be the guy on the Huff-Po article trying to explain how you could have done such a foolish thing when the boy was too young to understand the danger.

yeah his mom has ruined him, and let him in JROTC [Marines] as well

glhs837

Power with Control
That sure doesn't look like the Red Ryder BB gun I got for Christmas.

Nor the air powered pellet rifle I have in the basement, but sure as hell isnt a shotgun either. One glance at the barrel should tip off anyone that it's not a real gun.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It's nice that you are clairvoyant and know everything without being told or having any real contact with the situation. Not everyone has that gift and they actually have to get close and take a look. Because, ya know, they're all BB guns...until they're not.

On another note, it would give me a lot of pleasure to have someone burst into your office and point a rifle at you. Then, after you've already #### your pants, they could go, "Ha ha! Sike! Just a BB gun!" Especially since you're such a home protection kinda guy and all, maybe you'd shoot him...and we could laugh at you for getting upset over a "####ing BB gun".

Idiot.

You're scenario is totally ludicrous.. if someone showed up at his office, that means he has a job.. and works for somebody.. Chances are GREAT that his building and his office are gun free zones, so the chance of him having the ability to shoot somebody, or defend himself are nil... He's a working productive member of society, he has NO right to carry a gun, and absolutely no right to defend himself.

itsrequired

Nor the air powered pellet rifle I have in the basement, but sure as hell isnt a shotgun either. One glance at the barrel should tip off anyone that it's not a real gun.

What is it about the barrel which would make someone think it's not a real gun?

glhs837

Power with Control
My apologies, upon closer examination, it appears the tip of the barrel has a housing that obscures the bore. So that point of mine isnt valid. And today the grand jury cleared the officers. Wonder if we'll get to see the video.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Good , at least his Mom and him have some sense, I see he gets everything from her side .

:yawn:

reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it?

should I have used the :scarcasm: tag ...
... you obviously are too stupid to understand the correlation between between my giving him several camo jackets I had in the 90's [which he wears constantly in the hot FL Summers] and him taking JROTC

glhs837

Power with Control
See, to me, after seeing the video, it reinforces my belief that we are being a bit too accepting of "shoot first, ask questions later". In this case, there appeared to be not one shred of an attempt made to verify that the person was actually a threat. Now, had there been shots fired, I agree, that instantly lethal response was justified, but we don't have that in this case, it was one shouted command and down he goes. Officers jacked up on an "active shooter" adrenaline rush, seeing what they have been trained to see, not what was real.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
See, to me, after seeing the video, it reinforces my belief that we are being a bit too accepting of "shoot first, ask questions later". In this case, there appeared to be not one shred of an attempt made to verify that the person was actually a threat. Now, had there been shots fired, I agree, that instantly lethal response was justified, but we don't have that in this case, it was one shouted command and down he goes. Officers jacked up on an "active shooter" adrenaline rush, seeing what they have been trained to see, not what was real.

That's what training is for and that gets to the heart of the matter; WHAT is the training trying to accomplish? Serve the public or get home safe? Two very different things.

glhs837

Power with Control
That's what training is for and that gets to the heart of the matter; WHAT is the training trying to accomplish? Serve the public or get home safe? Two very different things.

It seemed to me that man wasn't even aware there were officers there until they yelled a command at them. Now, maybe someone who has had such training can chime in, but unless I'm mistaken, there are probably two scenarios, one in which the shooter (anyone with a gun) either puts the gun down, or engages the officers. I'll bet the "Suspect is simply a confused person who has no idea why people are yelling at him suddenly and jerks around to see what the hell is going on, but doesn't appear to be engaging the officers" isn't a presented option.

Back in my aircrew days, we trained on Fire Of Unknown Origin, in which the scenario is that some piece of electronic/electrical gear is on fire, and filling the aircraft with smoke and fumes. Crew splits up and inspects their assigned area (varied by how many crew members were onboard). Instructors would place a sign saying "Fire", or "Smoking" on a piece of gear. Most of the time, it would be on one of the pieces of gear known to be a likely cause, deice parting strips that carried a big load, stuff like that. But they would vary it up, and toss in random gear, so that you never got in a rut of expecting it to be one of only a few.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It seemed to me that man wasn't even aware there were officers there until they yelled a command at them. Now, maybe someone who has had such training can chime in, but unless I'm mistaken, there are probably two scenarios, one in which the shooter (anyone with a gun) either puts the gun down, or engages the officers. I'll bet the "Suspect is simply a confused person who has no idea why people are yelling at him suddenly and jerks around to see what the hell is going on, but doesn't appear to be engaging the officers" isn't a presented option.

Back in my aircrew days, we trained on Fire Of Unknown Origin, in which the scenario is that some piece of electronic/electrical gear is on fire, and filling the aircraft with smoke and fumes. Crew splits up and inspects their assigned area (varied by how many crew members were onboard). Instructors would place a sign saying "Fire", or "Smoking" on a piece of gear. Most of the time, it would be on one of the pieces of gear known to be a likely cause, deice parting strips that carried a big load, stuff like that. But they would vary it up, and toss in random gear, so that you never got in a rut of expecting it to be one of only a few.

For starters, it seems we agree; these officers shot first and did NOT assess before doing so and that THAT is NOT what we expect of our police.

Homeland

Not me. I see the kid start to take off and run and then get shot. I

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

if you get in the way of 'getting home safe' YOU leave in a body bag or you are just inconvenient

BAD SHOOT: Detective that claimed “we don’t have time for this” before killing 90-pound teen is indicted for voluntary manslaughter

According to his stepfather, Vidal had been tased and was pinned to the ground by two other law enforcement officers when Vassey stepped between them and fired a single, killing shot.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'll bet the "Suspect is simply a confused person who has no idea why people are yelling at him suddenly and jerks around to see what the hell is going on, but doesn't appear to be engaging the officers" isn't a presented option.

I said the same thing after that teen was gunned down in California

1 teen with a airsoft ak-47
2 next to a busy road - lots of noise
3 cop sees teen stops
4 yelling from 50 ft away
5 teen turns to see what the fuss is
6 bang cop shoots him dead

9 seconds elapsed from the time the officer saw the teen until weapon discharge