Did Harley Davidson go to India w/Obama

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
There's a market in India for loud, slow, poor handling, overpriced motorcycles?

They currently only have the Royal Enfield, a 1955 year model bike that has continued to be produced in India long after the British plant closed due to obsolete technology and union labor problems.

Sounds like Harley would be a perfect fit

ImnoMensa

There's a market in India for loud, slow, poor handling, overpriced motorcycles?

I have ridden touring motorcycles for many years. I have owned 4 Harley Davidson's and now ride a Yamaha tourer.

Slow? Overpriced? Loud, only if you make it that way?? Yes

Poor handling?? No. The Harley Touring bike handles better than the japanese bikes can even think of.

The Japs are top heavy and absolutely horrible at slower speeds.

The low center of gravity on the Harley is great.

Some here seem to feel that going to another country to find cheaper labor is just great. It must be because so many companioes like GE and others have done it.

But it takes jobs from this country, then those people who thought it was great ,complain that there are no jobs.

When the Government in the form of the President takes Business people over to India at my expense to talk to Indian officials about moving their jobs to India, and then claims he is promoting job growth here, I get a bit upset.

I believe that is what is going on. If you believe differently that is you prerogotive

ylexot

Super Genius
I have ridden touring motorcycles for many years. I have owned 4 Harley Davidson's and now ride a Yamaha tourer.

Poor handling?? No. The Harley Touring bike handles better than the japanese bikes can even think of.

Some here seem to feel that going to another country to find cheaper labor is just great. It must be because so many companioes like GE and others have done it.

But it takes jobs from this country, then those people who thought it was great ,complain that there are no jobs.

When the Government in the form of the President takes Business people over to India at my expense to talk to Indian officials about moving their jobs to India, and then claims he is promoting job growth here, I get a bit upset.

I believe that is what is going on. If you believe differently that is you prerogotive

Sure, when you compare a Harley to something that is trying to be a Harley, the Harley does well. When you compare it to...just about anything else, not so much.

If I remember correctly, ed rides a sport bike. So yes, a Harley is slow, loud, overpriced, and has poor handling by comparison.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Sure, when you compare a Harley to something that is trying to be a Harley, the Harley does well. When you compare it to...just about anything else, not so much.

Debating which cruiser handles better is like discussing Italian war heroes

Larry Gude

Strung Out

You have not ridden a Yami Stratoliner. Obviously.

:buddies:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Since you are slow, we're discussing closing plants and moving them to India, not within the U.S..

Unless....

.... the REAL reason Obama's going to India is to give Pennsylvania to India!!! :jameo:

As long as part of the deal is that they've got to take DC along with it, I'm good with it.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
HEY!!! :tantrum :lmao:

The sad reality set in with me many years ago when I looked at the packages that the parts came in. They ALL say made in Taiwan or China. Very dis-heartening to me for what's supposed to be an AMERICAN motorcycle. This, however, doesn't surprise me because the US president is foreign made.

ImnoMensa

You are right there, but many of us don't enjoy ridinglike we are trying to have sex with the gas tank, and our wives like to sit back and enjoy the ride instead of hanging on with their arms locked around us, so that they don't slide off the back.

Certainly the Sport bikes are fast and handle well, they are great for stunting and acting like a kid, but many of us have passed that stage. Some of us even like to pack the bags and the tour pack and take off for a week or so without wearing a back pack.

Different strokes for Different folks.

Let those who ride decide.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You are right there, but many of us don't enjoy ridinglike we are trying to have sex with the gas tank, and our wives like to sit back and enjoy the ride instead of hanging on with their arms locked around us, so that they don't slide off the back.

Certainly the Sport bikes are fast and handle well, they are great for stunting and acting like a kid, but many of us have passed that stage. Some of us even like to pack the bags and the tour pack and take off for a week or so without wearing a back pack.

So you don't want a Cruiser either??

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

So get a bike that's comfortable, has long legs for traveling and can cut a corner when you want.

After 30 years of riding, I decided cruisers don't take a turn very well and no longer own one

ylexot

Super Genius

Goldwing or BMW LT. :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
HEY!!! :tantrum :lmao:

The sad reality set in with me many years ago when I looked at the packages that the parts came in. They ALL say made in Taiwan or China. Very dis-heartening to me for what's supposed to be an AMERICAN motorcycle. This, however, doesn't surprise me because the US president is foreign made.

Which one? Clinton? Bush? Obama? All three?

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
That may just be one of the harshest, razer sharp, unique and hilarious analogies I have ever heard.

Ever.

:lol:

:yeahthat: -- one for the memory books & worthy of siggydom...

If they were closing plants here an moving that manufacturing function to India, yes, that would be bad. But in these cases it's actually good, they company sells more parts, parts made here. It's simply expanding into a new market. In a way it's saving jobs here, those people who are making the parts.

No, it's NOT saving jobs here because this is what happened...

for those who didn't read your link -- Harley has closed down one of its plants that makes whole motorcycles (could it be because they no longer need to make as many whole motorcycles since they are now sending part kits to India???? Huh??? Right???? Think about it...)

Since you are slow, we're discussing closing plants and moving them to India, not within the U.S..

Unless....

.... the REAL reason Obama's going to India is to give Pennsylvania to India!!! :jameo:

I know that you are not stupid. Follow the dots on this one. Obama announces major news with Harley shipping parts kits to India instead of already made bikes. Dateline on article about Kansas City plant is same day. Plant that is closed makes whole motorcycles -- move is made to "increase efficiency". Well, of course it would increase efficiency if you no longer need someone over here making whole bikes because you're now sending the parts over to India so they can be assembled over there. Ergo, assemblers now out of jobs. It's not like they can automatically be switched to crafting the parts as it's a different skill set and would require additional training -- that takes time and commitment and will not happen overnight. In the meantime, those folks are out of a job.

How nice that the President goes to India to announce new jobs over there, resulting in lost jobs over here. I do believe that the idea is to create US jobs, not foreign ones. :sarcasm: Of course, I could be wrong.... with this President, obviously, that's not the goal.:coffee:

edinsomd

I'm no kid, been riding for 40 years. I don't stunt. My ride is an open class GT sport-tour bike, fully able to comfortably ride at speed with my gear and a passenger all day long.
I don't like to play 1%’er dress-up, ride around in herds from bar to bar, and noisily impede traffic while liberally distributing oil on the roadway as I go.
But that's just me.
Keep the rubber side down,
Ed

ImnoMensa

I'm no kid, been riding for 40 years. I don't stunt. My ride is an open class GT sport-tour bike, fully able to comfortably ride at speed with my gear and a passenger all day long.
I don't like to play 1%’er dress-up, ride around in herds from bar to bar, and noisily impede traffic while liberally distributing oil on the roadway as I go.
But that's just me.
Keep the rubber side down,
Ed

My point in starting this post was to point out that Harley is opening an assembly line to produce Harley Davidson's in India.

Not to get into discussions of the merits of different motorcycles and personal riding habits of those in the forum.

Ride safe and have fun.

My thoughts are that Harley is experimenting with manufacturing their Motorcycles in a cheaper fashion, and if it works we will see Indian manufacturing expand and our own get smaller. Outsourcing has now become the rule, not the exception; even Italian brands like Vespa and Japanese manufacturers like Kawasaki and Honda are refocusing their production base to places like Indonesia and Thailand. My guess is that more outsourcing is on the way for Harley. Outsourcing means less American jobs.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I THINK I just heard on the news that Obama announced a Boeing plant being opened in India.. net result 54,000 jobs... jobs that won't be done here in the US.

And now we are talking about passenger jets.. yanno, the things that can be flown from ANYWHERE in the world to their point of delivery.. like flown from Charleston South Carolina.. or Seattle Washington..

But no, now they are going to be made in India..

Thanks Barack "let them have health care" Obama

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I THINK I just heard on the news that Obama announced a Boeing plant being opened in India.. net result 54,000 jobs... jobs that won't be done here in the US.

And now we are talking about passenger jets.. yanno, the things that can be flown from ANYWHERE in the world to their point of delivery.. like flown from Charleston South Carolina.. or Seattle Washington..

But no, now they are going to be made in India..

Thanks Barack "let them have health care" Obama

I sooooo hope this is not the case.