Do you disrespect the flag?

SamSpade

Ergo: Most of these a-holes are kneeling out of pure spite.

Yep.
Except they are not insulting Trump. They're insulting ME. My father. His father.
My nation, which after having traveled a bit - I deeply love more than ever.

And I can't stand these legislators and celebrity types who symbolically drop a knee to show "support" - but do nothing further.
Well bully for you. How brave.

Reminds me of all the well wishers when my father died, and my mom needed a LOT of help - and we got SO MUCH "thoughts and prayers" but no volunteers or dollars.
(That said - enough people DID belly up to the bar and help - but we heard SO MUCH from people wanting to show support, but stopped at words).

Toxick

Splat
You should have said that. It's correct.

Well, I guess that would depend on your definition of ignorance.

They know that what they're doing is disrespectful, and they continue to do it. This is not ignorance, it's deliberate.

That said, I think the word ignorant has become way too colloquial and fluid in recent times. It seems to have come to mean anything the speaker finds distasteful. For instance, the word ignorance has almost become interchangeable with the word racism in most people's vocabulary. They way I see it, it's not "ignorance" per se. It's a deliberate choice to hate someone based on factors they have nothing to do with - i.e. their heritage. Mean-spirited and counterproductive, but not necessarily ignorant.

Toxick

Splat
If one does something and does it for spite isn't that ignorant?

No.

It's "spiteful".

Clarification:
As I just said the term ignorance has become a colloquialism - I'm referring specifically to the proper standard definition of the word ignorance, not what it has come to mean, which is 'any old mean thing we don't like'.

Last edited:

Hijinx

Well, I guess that would depend on your definition of ignorance.

They know that what they're doing is disrespectful, and they continue to do it. This is not ignorance, it's deliberate.

That said, I think the word ignorant has become way too colloquial and fluid in recent times. It seems to have come to mean anything the speaker finds distasteful. For instance, the word ignorance has almost become interchangeable with the word racism in most people's vocabulary. They way I see it, it's not "ignorance" per se. It's a deliberate choice to hate someone based on factors they have nothing to do with - i.e. their heritage. Mean-spirited and counterproductive, but not necessarily ignorant.

Lots of words have become almost undefinable. Gay for instance.

Midnightrider

I've said it a hundred times - that's not what this is about. No matter how badly they want us to believe that it is, it's not.

It's what it was about - when Kaepernick started it, and then some of the others joined in. Those guys - while I disagree with their methods - are actually doing it for a valid reason. (Whether or not anyone agrees with this reason is immaterial to my point ). The rest of these pretentious overpaid screeching dill-wads didn't take a knee until The Loudmouth in Chief opened his yammering trap and suggested that it would be nice if kneeling sumbitches were fired. Then everyone dropped, as if they were doing it on a dare. Which to some extent they were.

Ergo: Most of these a-holes are kneeling out of pure spite.

That's it. The fact that they want to pretend it's an anti-racist statement is pathetic. I agree with the original intent. I completely disagree with giving the finger to the entire country because you're pissed off at one turd who can't keep a leash on his mouth.

And I don't care if they say they "mean no disrespect" - they were told it's disrespectful and they continue to do it.

Very well said.

Amen.

spite or solidarity? It seemed like solidarity to me. Most people do not think that the kapernick protest was all that necessary/appropriate as was evidenced by the fact that so few joined him in it. However, when trump opened his yap an awful oot of people stood up for what they say as the underdog. Some of them might have been spiteful too, but most, including the owners stood or knelt in solidarity with their teammates.

the other thing to notice is that almost all of those players are now back to standing for the anthem.

Midnightrider

They are united in their spite.

Were they? An ass ton of players, owners and coaches stood or kneeled together. If it was out of spite, where did that spite go? We are pretty much back to where we were before trump said anything. I would say most of the men who knelt the week after trumps comments were probably conflicted about it. If they were spiteful they would still be doing it, they were just sticking up for their teammates

Sapidus

Heres the thing. These protests aren’t about the flag. And attempting to minimize it to that issue puts you on the wrong side of history. Only 28%of people supported lunch counter sit ins. Only 22% approved of the freedom rides. It’s easy to look back and realize the importance of those and the logic that of course they should have been supported. These protests are getting the message across to younger less bigoted people and that’s what matters as they will shape the future of the country.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/10/colin-kaepernick/541845/

Hijinx

Heres the thing. These protests aren’t about the flag. And attempting to minimize it to that issue puts you on the wrong side of history. Only 28%of people supported lunch counter sit ins. Only 22% approved of the freedom rides. It’s easy to look back and realize the importance of those and the logic that of course they should have been supported. These protests are getting the message across to younger less bigoted people and that’s what matters as they will shape the future of the country.

That's cool they can do it without getting millions to play football.

Sapidus

That's cool they can do it without getting millions to play football.

Unless you are paying their salary that’s not your choice. I doubt you’ve got two dimes to rub together so I’m sure the football players will be fine

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Heres the thing. These protests aren’t about the flag. And attempting to minimize it to that issue puts you on the wrong side of history. Only 28%of people supported lunch counter sit ins. Only 22% approved of the freedom rides. It’s easy to look back and realize the importance of those and the logic that of course they should have been supported.

Yet at the same time, over on the 2A thread, you insist that society is best served when the majority gets its way.

You've never held to a coherent set of principles in your entire sorry failed life.

SamSpade

Heres the thing. These protests aren’t about the flag.

Yes they are. Because it's the only venue they're occurring in. The point isn't to draw attention or sit at a counter where a sign says you can't sit.
When you sit for the anthem but STAND for "God Save the Queen" - it's to insult the United States.

These protests are getting the message across to younger less bigoted people

And calling people bigots because they don't like to see their flag and nation insulted isn't going to "get the message out" -
Unless the message is "f--- the USA".

Midnightrider

Yes they are. Because it's the only venue they're occurring in. The point isn't to draw attention or sit at a counter where a sign says you can't sit.
When you sit for the anthem but STAND for "God Save the Queen" - it's to insult the United States.

And calling people bigots because they don't like to see their flag and nation insulted isn't going to "get the message out" -
Unless the message is "f--- the USA".

Gets the message out just about as effectively as ‘they should fire these SOBs, YOURE FIRED!’ :shrug:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
.......and where are they now. Still protesting after 60 years and they’ll be protesting after another 60 if they don’t stop drugging, thugging and killing each other.