Do you disrespect the flag?

PsyOps

Pixelated
Is that spite? It seems to me like protest of a perceived injustice. But still, the vast majority who knelt or protested the weekend after trump opened his yap are standing now. Those people, the ones we were talking about, were kneeling out of solidarity, not spite.

So, these kneelers (with the exception of Kaepernick and few others) only woke up to this so-called 'injustice' when Trump opened his yap? It took Trump to get them motivated behind this cause? Or are they just angry that Trump dared to open his yap, and their 'protest' is out of spite to that. I'll go with the latter. Faux outrage/Trump hate. How dare a president voice his opinion about something. I mean, Obama NEVER did that. :rolleyes:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
EDIT:
I just reread that conversation back and I see your point - and the difference that it makes. My original scenario would have been better served if I put the statue and flag in my office..
However, my home neighborhood is predominantly African-American, and my work neighborhood is predominantly Latino. As far as I can tell, latinos don't give much of a crap about Confederate flags. So... that happened.

:yay:

Midnightrider

Remember when you, Sapmynuts, and turdporter we holding all the owners up on high as nobility and thought they were sympathetic with the cause?

Then, remember when I said that it will only last as long as the revenues stay constant and that they were REALLY afraid of personally being labeled as "the owner who didn't stand with their team" and they would look for the very first way out of the situation?

Well... that time is here. Its ALL about the dollars! (in my best Joe Pesci voice)

What I remember saying was that the kneeling movement was petering out until trump opened his yap, and that he United the NFL owners and players in direct response to his remarks. The owners chose the players over the prez

So, these kneelers (with the exception of Kaepernick and few others) only woke up to this so-called 'injustice' when Trump opened his yap? It took Trump to get them motivated behind this cause? Or are they just angry that Trump dared to open his yap, and their 'protest' is out of spite to that. I'll go with the latter. Faux outrage/Trump hate. How dare a president voice his opinion about something. I mean, Obama NEVER did that. :rolleyes:

The initial protest was about injustice. Everything that happened after trumps remarks was a show of solidarity for teammates who had been attacked. Anyone that has been part of a team can understand the us versus them mentality of a team. Teams are a lot like family. You might not agree with each other on everything but you stand up for them.

BTW, you were VERY critical of obama voicing his opinion. What changed?

PsyOps

Pixelated
What I remember saying was that the kneeling movement was petering out until trump opened his yap, and that he United the NFL owners and players in direct response to his remarks. The owners chose the players over the prez

The initial protest was about injustice. Everything that happened after trumps remarks was a show of solidarity for teammates who had been attacked. Anyone that has been part of a team can understand the us versus them mentality of a team. Teams are a lot like family. You might not agree with each other on everything but you stand up for them.

BTW, you were VERY critical of obama voicing his opinion. What changed?

Yes, I was. And I posted in one of these threads that I thought Trump should have kept his mouth shut on this (as it has been with many things). But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a right to his opinion. I could also ask... were you so critical of Obama when he took sides, uninformed as his opinion was, on all of those racially charged incidents, as you are with Trump?

I don't want anyone sidelined. I don't want anyone fired. I want them to pick a different time to protest. And I also don't tune in to watch a bunch of wealthy athletes preaching to me about injustice and oppression when they have benefited so much that this country has afforded them. I just don't think it's too much ask to look at that flag and recognize that for just one minute.

Last edited:

Midnightrider

Yes, I was. And I posted in one of these threads that I thought Trump should have kept his mouth shut on this (as it has been with many things). But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a right to his opinion. I could also ask... were you so critical of Obama when he took sides, uninformed as his opinion was, on all of those racially charged incidents, as you are with Trump?

I don't want anyone sidelined. I don't want anyone fired. I want them to pick a different time to protest. And I also don't tune in to watch a bunch of wealthy athletes preaching to me about injustice and oppression when they have benefited so much that this country has afforded them. I just don't think it's too much ask to look at that flag and recognize that for just one minute.
Im not making a big deal about trump commenting. I wish he didn’t so this would just die down, but my feelings aren’t hurt either way. I have been to every home game for years and I have never heard anyone preaching about injustice or oppression at the stadium. I only found out after the game that a few of the niners had even sat. The Redskins all stood, both for the anthem and god bless America (those that were visible anyway, that was earlier pregame).

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A true patriot would be outraged by that ...

no true scotsman
You made what could be called an appeal to purity as a way to dismiss relevant criticisms or flaws of your argument.

In this form of faulty reasoning one's belief is rendered unfalsifiable because no matter how compelling the evidence is, one simply shifts the goalposts so that it wouldn't apply to a supposedly 'true' example. This kind of post-rationalization is a way of avoiding valid criticisms of one's argument.

Example: Angus declares that Scotsmen do not put sugar on their porridge, to which Lachlan points out that he is a Scotsman and puts sugar on his porridge. Furious, like a true Scot, Angus yells that no true Scotsman sugars his porridge.