Do you disrespect the flag?

Sapidus

Yes they are. Because it's the only venue they're occurring in. The point isn't to draw attention or sit at a counter where a sign says you can't sit.
When you sit for the anthem but STAND for "God Save the Queen" - it's to insult the United States.

And calling people bigots because they don't like to see their flag and nation insulted isn't going to "get the message out" -
Unless the message is "f--- the USA".

Seems that you cry patriotism when it’s convenient for you. However you don’t seem to have an issue with Trump golfing while the bodies of four dead soldiers returned to Andrews without so much as a call or letter to their families. A true patriot would be outraged by that

Hijinx

Unless you are paying their salary that’s not your choice. I doubt you’ve got two dimes to rub together so I’m sure the football players will be fine

Well I tell you Sap. I am paying their salary when I watch their games. You are right though I am no longer paying their salary as I don't watch them any longer.
As for my having two dimes to rub together. I have a couple, I own my home, I don't have the collection Gilligan has but everything I have is paid for, I don't owe the credit companies a dime and I just bought a new truck--paid cash -or rather a check for it. Can you say the same?

Restitution

Seems that you cry patriotism when it’s convenient for you. However you don’t seem to have an issue with Trump golfing while the bodies of four dead soldiers returned to Andrews without so much as a call or letter to their families. A true patriot would be outraged by that

Honestly... I never knew it was the President's job to hand write a letter to every slain soldier's/sailor's/marine's family upon the return of their bodies to the US.

Could you please provide a link to that info? I would really like to read about it. (NO sarcasm... I'm serious)

Hijinx

Trump asked a rhetorical question; How would you like it if the owners said Youre Fired.
He never attempted to have any football player fired.
I don't know how that turned into he tried to fire them, but there is so much BS spread about him that it is not surprising that liberals cannot read an understand what he actually did say.

Last edited:

Hijinx

Honestly... I never knew it was the President's job to hand write a letter to every slain soldier's/sailor's/marine's family upon the return of their bodies to the US.

Could you please provide a link to that info? I would really like to read about it. (NO sarcasm... I'm serious)

The only reason Sap is cranked up about this is because the WAPO and CNN launched another one of their anti-Trump attacks and are trying to politicize on the deaths of these 4 men. Don't think for a minute that he thought this up all on his own, he is just following the lead of the left wing media.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Were they? An ass ton of players, owners and coaches stood or kneeled together. If it was out of spite, where did that spite go? We are pretty much back to where we were before trump said anything. I would say most of the men who knelt the week after trumps comments were probably conflicted about it. If they were spiteful they would still be doing it, they were just sticking up for their teammates

I don't care who or how many, the root of the 'protest' is out of spite; an unfounded claimed that cops are running rampant in this country indiscriminately shooting black people. The protests are on the backs of BLM, who incited and committed violence all over this country.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Heres the thing. These protests aren’t about the flag. And attempting to minimize it to that issue puts you on the wrong side of history.

When they choose the very time the flag is displayed and the anthem is played, when they have countless other times and venues to protest, it's about the flag.

nutz

These protests are getting the message across to younger less bigoted people and that’s what matters as they will shape the future of the country.

:lmao: young people are being shone that being disrespectful is a good thing. Teacher tells them to do something, they decide they don't want to. Police officer says stop, they decide they don't want to. Stand up and show respect for the flag, they don't have to. Pledge allegiance, they don't want to. Prayer in schools, bad tenets of islam, good. . Hollywood and pro sports have shown the people what is ok. You are getting exactly what you've asked for and you don't like the results.

nutz

This is when it is helpful to read links

All the ones you provide :roflmao:

Not true, the President is never the person to make notification. That was up to the CO of these soldiers. The President is expressing his condolences for their loss. What is the timetable for that?

BTW, when exactly were they brought to Andrews?

Last edited:

Restitution

These protests are getting the message across to younger less bigoted people and that’s what matters as they will shape the future of the country.

Actually, these protests are getting their message across to the very people who pay these people's salaries and fund the very platform they are currently abusing.

Wonder why you don't see the Anthem being played on TV anymore??

Hijinx

Actually, these protests are getting their message across to the very people who pay these people's salaries and fund the very platform they are currently abusing.

Go to Mission Barbeque, they play it every day. And don't be eating your sandwich while it is playing either. Stand and be proud.

Midnightrider

?? He tried to fire them? That's news.

Actually, until the media went ape#### over it, I hadn't heard it at all.

you haven’t paid that much attention. First he said they should fire these SOBs, YOURE FIRED, then he went on twitter to double down on it

I don't care who or how many, the root of the 'protest' is out of spite; an unfounded claimed that cops are running rampant in this country indiscriminately shooting black people. The protests are on the backs of BLM, who incited and committed violence all over this country.
Is that spite? It seems to me like protest of a perceived injustice. But still, the vast majority who knelt or protested the weekend after trump opened his yap are standing now. Those people, the ones we were talking about, were kneeling out of solidarity, not spite.

They don’t play the anthem on tv TO TAKE THE PLATFORM AWAY. The never used to show the anthem during the regular season anyway, prekickoff is prime commercial time.

Toxick

Splat
spite or solidarity?

Spite.

And I explained why I think so. I didn't just pull the word out of my ass, believe it or not.

It should be noted also, that solidarity and spite are not mutually exclusive.

You could say that they showed great solidarity in their spiteful display.

the other thing to notice is that almost all of those players are now back to standing for the anthem.

And another thing to notice is that I don't give the slightest of ####s. Everyone knew that most people perceive the kneeling to be a sign of disrespect. It's not like this was some well-kept secret that they only found out about afterwards. They ####ing knew it when they did it, and they did it anyway. In their solidarity to give Trump the middle finger, they figuratively wiped their ass with my flag and disrespected my country - and they knew it. So they're back to standing (some of them) - I don't care. They can still kiss my ass.

Picture this: Let's say I'm sick of the negative media coverage and how they spin what the Confederate Flag represents* - so to show them how I feel, I decide to fly a confederate flag in my front yard and I erect a nice big statue of some plantation owning Rebel General - just to piss off the media.

The black people in my neighborhood unexpectedly and erroneously get pissed off about it! (What? Why would they take offense to such a small thing as that?) At this point, I have the audacity to say to them: "No, no, no - you got it all wrong folks! This flag and statue are totally NOT meant to be disrespectful to you or promote racism - it's about HERITAGE"... And then after continued unrest, catcalls and dirty looks, I magnanimously decided take the flag and statue down. You know - because I'm awesome like that.

....And then I wonder why I'm still getting dirty looks.

*It should be noted that everything that follows is for the sake of argument - I do not support the display of the Confederate Flag, as I don't believe in the values or methods of the Pre Civil War South.

Last edited:

Midnightrider

Spite.

And I explained why I think so. I didn't just pull the word out of my ass, believe it or not.

It should be noted also, that solidarity and spite are not mutually exclusive.

You could say that they showed great solidarity in their spiteful display.

And another thing to notice is that I don't give the slightest of ####s. Everyone knew that most people perceive the kneeling to be a sign of disrespect. It's not like this was some well-kept secret that they only found out about afterwards. They ####ing knew it when they did it, and they did it anyway. In their solidarity to give Trump the middle finger, they figuratively wiped their ass with my flag and disrespected my country - and they knew it. So they're back to standing (some of them) - I don't care. They can still kiss my ass.

Picture this: Let's say I'm sick of the negative media coverage and how they spin what the Confederate Flag represents* - so to show them how I feel, I decide to fly a confederate flag in my front yard and I erect a nice big statue of some plantation owning Rebel General - just to piss off the media.

The black people in my neighborhood unexpectedly and erroneously get pissed off about it! (What? Why would they take offense to such a small thing as that?) At this point, I have the audacity to say to them: "No, no, no - you got it all wrong folks! This flag and statue are totally NOT meant to be disrespectful to you or promote racism - it's about HERITAGE"... And then after continued unrest, catcalls and dirty looks, I magnanimously decided take the flag and statue down. You know - because I'm awesome like that.

....And then I wonder why I'm still getting dirty looks.

*It should be noted that everything that follows is for the sake of argument - I do not support the display of the Confederate Flag, as I don't believe in the values or methods of the Pre Civil War South.

And if obama had said you should be fired for flying your flag, I bet a lot of people who otherwise wouldn’t have cared would have stood up to say eff you to the CIC, even if they didn’t support flying the flag themselves.

Toxick

Splat
Is that spite? It seems to me like protest of a perceived injustice.

To be fair, he said "the root of the protest" meaning the seminal act of Colin K, and then those who hopped on his Bandwagon.
Personally, I don't think Colin and Co. are doing it out of spite - and I've said that I technically agree with their cause. I find their method to be offputting and disrespectful - but I tend to respect their freedom of expression even so. However, I am also covered by Amendment The First as are they, so I am free to think they are #######s for doing what they do, and I exercise my freedom of speech to express that.

But still, the vast majority who knelt or protested the weekend after trump opened his yap are standing now.

Which seems to me to reinforce the perception that it was a spiteful act. Not a protest of injustice. If they were trying to protest injustice by kneeling, they'd still be kneeling - because last I heard, nothing has changed in that regard.

Toxick

Splat
And if obama had said you should be fired for flying your flag, I bet a lot of people who otherwise wouldn’t have cared would have stood up to say eff you to the CIC, even if they didn’t support flying the flag themselves.

I have no doubt that you are absolutely correct.

And I would react to those #######s exactly the same way I'm reacting to the #######s in the NFL right now.

Restitution

They don’t play the anthem on tv TO TAKE THE PLATFORM AWAY. The never used to show the anthem during the regular season anyway, prekickoff is prime commercial time.

Remember when you, Sapmynuts, and turdporter we holding all the owners up on high as nobility and thought they were sympathetic with the cause?

Then, remember when I said that it will only last as long as the revenues stay constant and that they were REALLY afraid of personally being labeled as "the owner who didn't stand with their team" and they would look for the very first way out of the situation?

Well... that time is here. Its ALL about the dollars! (in my best Joe Pesci voice)

Toxick

Splat
Clueless as usual

in Toxic example THE FLAG AND STATUE are in his FRONT YARD ... not in his employers Lobby at Work

Well, in truth, for my point, it doesn't matter if it's at work or in my yard - the point I was trying to make is that I was deliberately disregarding the feelings of a significantly large group of people who have made it abundantly clear that such a display is disrespectful to them and their values; and they have enumerated legit and non-arbitrary reasons for their perception.

If I were to erect a display in the lobby of my office, and my employer is cool with that, the only thing that changes is that my employer is now equally culpable as I am.

EDIT:
I just reread that conversation back and I see your point - and the difference that it makes. My original scenario would have been better served if I put the statue and flag in my office..
However, my home neighborhood is predominantly African-American, and my work neighborhood is predominantly Latino. As far as I can tell, latinos don't give much of a crap about Confederate flags. So... that happened.

Last edited: