Do You Think You Can Get Out In Time?

Goobergrl6

I am more worried about getting smacked by a car crossing the street then evacuating if Calvert Cliffs goes boom. You can if yourself to death or just live life.

Clem_Shady

Would that be the basement you claim is full of Radon?

Cost me about $1,100 but the basement is now reporting safe radon levels since I had a professional company show up and install a fan onto my passive radon evacuation system and fix the pipe in the basement slab that was obstructed because QBHI had it filled with concrete instead of leaving the required air pocked around it.

But thanks for you concern, and you're a month late in caring.

And don't worry, at some point I'll be getting that money plus a lot more back from QBHI.

:popcorn:

CCNP

Earthquake-engineered to take a 6.5. Maximum predicted here, 4.5.
Hurricane-withstand a Cat 5+.
50 mile radius is concern for agriculture and outside animals (cows, pigs).
Attack from land-internal security plus various local agencies, multi-layered defense on-site.
Attack from water-internal security plus various local agencies, multi-layered defense on site.

NRC: Domestic Safeguards

NRC: Nuclear Security and Safeguards

So which one of these disasters/attacks caused TMI or Chernobyl?

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
So which one of these disasters/attacks caused TMI or Chernobyl?

The last two have been up-graded since TMI & Chernobyl. Hopefully, we've learned a few things since then.

That said, there is no way to absolutely, positively eliminate "human error". You can worry about things that might never happen, or you can decide to do the best you can with what you've got, realizing that nothing, especially life, is ever PERFECT.

But, you already knew that. I just chimed in to help you point out the "human error piece". :huggy:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'd be more worried about being killed by looters after.the fact. You can bet as soon as the gov't calls for.an evacuation the gangs and looters will be here within hours and probably days before they allow us back.

Will they be wearing SEIU vests when they get off of the busses?

Vince

Therefore, if CCNPP ever had a problem and St. Mary's County had to evacuate within the FIFTY mile evac zone, do you think you can get out in time?
Answer: No, since it's only a few miles up the road. So I wouldn't bother trying and I won't even worry about. If it happens, I'll open a cold beer and sit on my patio and relax.:buddies:

royhobie

hobieflyer
With all the radon we have here in Leonard's Grant, we'll be immune to any further radiation poisoning at our current absorption rate.

And the dummies that bought the granite counter tops in their already radon filled homes will be excellent candidates to go in and shut the reactor down.

I never thought about the granite tops, but I suppose that's a possibility for radon. But, my point is the County has no valid evacuation plan that would work for the South end of the County. The recent problem with radiation in Japan made people think of "what if" on a homefront basis.

royhobie

hobieflyer
Smart move for those south countians would be to invest in boats and "goeth by sea".

From talking to our County experts at various meetings I have attended, I have determined, by their own admission, that "you are correct". I have already planned to leave by boat if necessary.

From talking to our County experts at various meetings I have attended, I have determined, by their own admission, that "you are correct". I have already planned to leave by boat if necessary.

Unless the boat is already in the water, don't expect to be able to launch. The backup at the ramp will be just as bad as the bridge traffic.

royhobie

hobieflyer
Think so huh?

You would only be long gone if you monitored the situation and left early. One thing I noticed by observation is the so called experts have continuously down played the situation in Japan. Even some of our experts have. For example, they said we would not get radiation at the U.S. West Coast. We have. They were wrong. This was the folks at the NRC that said this. They very agency that is supposed to "protect" our citizens.

Long story short, leave early as many people in Japan did. Leave early before the government tells you to. I did so before hurricane Isabel in 2003 and it "saved my life."

This is all so familiar. Back in the 60s, Long Island was attempting to put a nuke online in Shoreham. The public decried the plant, but the power authority pressed on in spite of the outcry. They even went so far as to bring the plant to 5% power with core material loaded. It wasn't until after this was done that the plant was finally shut down for all the reasons cited here; proximity to population, inability to evacuate a peninsula, no workable evac plans, trucking the nuclear fuel to and from the plant via main roads right thru NYC.

So now the plant sits idle, forever contaminated, unusable. Prime recreational waterfront, and a huge tax burden to the local residents.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Unless the boat is already in the water, don't expect to be able to launch. The backup at the ramp will be just as bad as the bridge traffic.
If you want out bad enough, any place you can get to the water works as a ramp, someones yard, state park, restaurant. Deal with the consequences later (if there is one).

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The disaster that was Three Mile Island. How many people died?

Chernobyl, that was closer to an actual disaster, killed how many?

When speaking of disasters and even air accidents both pale in comparison.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If you want out bad enough, any place you can get to the water works as a ramp, someones yard, state park, restaurant. Deal with the consequences later (if there is one).

yup. I'm good either way; have a ramp off the yard and a bigger boat that stays in the water year around. I'll make it at least far enough to run out of gas.

pearlie369

UnStAbLe YeT sAfE
I was watching the news last week and they had on a special about Calvert Cliffs. The guy they interviewed was talking about the siren system and he said, "If you hear the sirens going off for a long time then it's already too late." Ah, to feel safe....

xobxdoc

This is all so familiar. Back in the 60s, Long Island was attempting to put a nuke online in Shoreham. The public decried the plant, but the power authority pressed on in spite of the outcry. They even went so far as to bring the plant to 5% power with core material loaded. It wasn't until after this was done that the plant was finally shut down for all the reasons cited here; proximity to population, inability to evacuate a peninsula, no workable evac plans, trucking the nuclear fuel to and from the plant via main roads right thru NYC.

So now the plant sits idle, forever contaminated, unusable. Prime recreational waterfront, and a huge tax burden to the local residents.

This one made no sense. Why would the owners of this plant load fuel and conduct low power testing when there was a possibility of not getting an approval on their emergency plan? Make you wonder what was going on behind the scenes. This plant could have been converted to a fossil fuel plant before they made that commitment to load the fuel. Big victory for the anti-nukes but the locals will have to pay for the de-commisioning.

xobxdoc

You would only be long gone if you monitored the situation and left early. One thing I noticed by observation is the so called experts have continuously down played the situation in Japan. Even some of our experts have. For example, they said we would not get radiation at the U.S. West Coast. We have. They were wrong. This was the folks at the NRC that said this. They very agency that is supposed to "protect" our citizens.

Long story short, leave early as many people in Japan did. Leave early before the government tells you to. I did so before hurricane Isabel in 2003 and it "saved my life."

Can you post a link to this?

This one made no sense. Why would the owners of this plant load fuel and conduct low power testing when there was a possibility of not getting an approval on their emergency plan? Make you wonder what was going on behind the scenes. This plant could have been converted to a fossil fuel plant before they made that commitment to load the fuel. Big victory for the anti-nukes but the locals will have to pay for the de-commisioning.

If I remember right, they didn't need an approved evac plan if they were 5% power or under. They were sure they would get the required approvals, so they loaded the core.

Like I said, this was back in the 60s. It was decommissioned many many years ago, but the site is unusable for anything else. They did manage to set up a gas fired system to take advantage of whatever they could, but it's expensive.