Dog Grooming at Petco

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
You know I have hearing issues "PLUCK" was not what I heard... but that explains my some other things from last year...:whistle:
Quite a few others had the same problem. :whistle:

Chrystee

spinner said:
Thank you for all the input. I wasn't really worried about my regular customers but wondering how it will affect my ability to attract new ones. Petco is going to be more convient for some people then coming all the way out to Hollywood. So I am going to change my ad in the phone book a little and focus on the individual attention and no crate drying aspect. And I am going to do something about the website. Most of my customers are repeat business and referrals.
It was sad to read about the dogs dying while being cage dried, I agree that was poor training. Those cage dryers can get hot quickly, you have to be careful even in an open crate with them. If you have a metal grid or tray that the dog is sitting on it can get hot enough to burn them. And a short muzzled dog like a Pug or a Shih Tzu should never, ever go under a crate dryer. If I was looking for a groomer the first question I would ask is if they crate dry the dogs. But very few people ask. I don't care how well you can scissor or how good you equipment is, if the dog is not dried properly it is going to look like crap. I blow dry everybody in the tub and on the table, that is what works best for me.

Spinner and Appy, Where are your grooming shops?

My problem is needing last minute appt's for my Keeshond/Sheltie mix. I am keeping him shaved though now.. How much do you charge and what is your number, and hours?

Scrilla21

Rebel of the South
Yeah appy I just happened to pick up one of your business cards from Early Bird about 2-3 weeks ago!!

What would you charge for grooming a 9 week old American Pit bull Terrier? I need his toenails clipped also!

I could even walk to your place!I live right up the street on St. John's Rd :whistle:

Last edited:
appyday said:
$15 what a deal! until he grows..Bath Nails Ears..have openings this Thurs pm thanks for thinking of me..I just put those cards up..Made them myself :lol:
I got some questions!! :smile:

What is done during grooming?
Do you cut the hair out of a pups eyes?
How early should you start grooming them?
How much for a 2lb Yorkie poo?

appyday said:
WH I try to do what YOU want but I make suggestions..I like to get the pups coming in early to get used to me and the procedure. I start the little ones getting FFTT (face feet tail and tummy) get the hair out of the face/eyes, feet nails and excess hair off tail (under where they "go" clean the hair off there so you don't get cling ons) Tummy boys and girls clean up where they pee to keep the urine smell off. $20 on the little ones starting out without a full body clip. I don't clip any bodies for under $30 now I just went up. Hope that helps.
It does. Thanks!! :huggy: The main thing is her eyes and I'm scared to cut that myself. Can you pm me your info so I can call and set up an appt. She is 12 weeks old. :yay:

workin hard said:
It does. Thanks!! :huggy: The main thing is her eyes and I'm scared to cut that myself. Can you pm me your info so I can call and set up an appt. She is 12 weeks old. :yay:
WH, you really should try it yourself. You can't really hurt anything. I trim my own schnauzer all the time and appy even inspected my work and said I do a great job. It's not hard. Once you get the hang of it, you will find yourself trimming on a regular basis without even thinking about it.

kwillia said:
WH, you really should try it yourself. You can't really hurt anything. I trim my own schnauzer all the time and appy even inspected my work and said I do a great job. It's not hard. Once you get the hang of it, you will find yourself trimming on a regular basis without even thinking about it.
I know but I'm scared. She lets me wipe her eyes out every day but I'm scared to go near them with a pair of scissors. I would rather someone else with experience do it.

The DH tried too and he said that he couldn't do it either. :lol:

appyday said:
WH check your karma....

12 weeks you are ready...Have you decided (you need to) weather her face will be done like a poodle (clean shaven) or a yorkie (mutt type face)?
I don't want it clean shaven because I think it looks cute like a mutt but I want whatever is better for her. Maybe trimming her face so she has a short mutt type face. :lol:

workin hard said:
I know but I'm scared. She lets me wipe her eyes out every day but I'm scared to go near them with a pair of scissors. I would rather someone else with experience do it.

The DH tried too and he said that he couldn't do it either. :lol:
I understand... if the dog doesn't cooperate it makes it extremely challenging. My little biatch won't let me clip her nails for nothing...:burning: I have to take her to appy for that and snip snip snip within a minute she has it done.

appyday said:
The secret is to close YOUR eyes when you do it...then you don't get as nervous as you can't see it..

Mutt face puppy I trim UNDER the eyes where the tears run to keep clean..I use clippers under the eyes and scissors over them...
Sounds good :yay: I'll be calling ya this afternoon/evening... :smile:

Scrilla21

Rebel of the South
appyday said:
$15 what a deal! until he grows..Bath Nails Ears..have openings this Thurs pm thanks for thinking of me..I just put those cards up..Made them myself :lol:

Yeah it is a deal!! What time is the opening Thursday evening cuz I go to work at 4pm? Do take appointments ealier? And where exactly are you on Brown's RD?

yeahright

Marys TLC in North Waldorf bathed and shaved my kittie (hes passed now)quite a few times, she did a great job and is reasonably priced, I would only use the chains if I stood there and watched them the entire time.

roxie

I have a Pekineenese, how much would you charge to shave her and cut her nails and clean ears???

Sarbie2

Don't take your dog to petco. We took our two dogs there and the hair cuts were terrible, their coats were uneven and the fur on the tails were massacred (sp?).
They charged us 80.00 for a terrible job.

ocean733

I have taken my puppy to PetSmart. After 6 hours and he still wasn't finished, I came and just picked him up and cut him myself.

Finofan

Here there and everywhere
Don't take your dog to petco. We took our two dogs there and the hair cuts were terrible, their coats were uneven and the fur on the tails were massacred (sp?).
They charged us 80.00 for a terrible job.

I have taken my puppy to PetSmart. After 6 hours and he still wasn't finished, I came and just picked him up and cut him myself.

I have heard a lot of this lately...I have picked up some of their customers and I am sure other groomers have also..Sometimes location and convenience is not the best..