Erasing history...

Midnightrider

If I may ...

And who determines if someone was a racist? George Washington was a great man with many great accomplishments, but he also owned slaves. Does that make him a racist? As did Thomas Jefferson and many other founders. Were they racist? By 1790, 48 black people in Maryland owned 143 slaves. Were they racist? One particularly notorious black Maryland farmer named Nat Butler regularly purchased and sold Negroes for the Southern trade. Was he racist as well? From The Root:

"Perhaps the most insidious or desperate attempt to defend the right of black people to own slaves was the statement made on the eve of the Civil War by a group of free people of color in New Orleans, offering their services to the Confederacy, in part because they were fearful for their own enslavement: "The free colored population [native] of Louisiana … own slaves, and they are dearly attached to their native land … and they are ready to shed their blood for her defense. They have no sympathy for abolitionism; no love for the North, but they have plenty for Louisiana … They will fight for her in 1861 as they fought [to defend New Orleans from the British] in 1814-1815."

Racism is in the eye of the beholder. Those, and all, monuments, should stand as a constant reminder of where we have been. They create conversation and dialog, something they can't do when they are destroyed.
Learn the history of the monument if you are going to defend it.

Btw, this country started with tearing down monuments to the king....http://www.teachushistory.org/american-revolution/resources/pulling-down-statue-george-iii

I guess we should have left them standing so we didn't forget our history :bigwhoop:

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Learn the history of the monument if you are going to defend it. Btw, this country started with tearing down monuments to the king....http://www.teachushistory.org/american-revolution/resources/pulling-down-statue-george-iii I guess we should have left them standing so we didn't forget our history :bigwhoop:

Damn you are an ass. Pulling down a statue of the king was not based on ideology but was an in your face affront to the king and his policies. I don't really care why any monument, statue, plaque or whatever was put up. As far as I'm concerned it is about free speech. These are more akin to political speech as anything else. You are a black person and just don't like them. Boo effing hoo. Don't look at them. Your feelings must really get hurt quite often. Affirmative action not quite working for you as you expect? That kind of discrimination and racism must be ok for you?

This_person

17991958_1494888837197356_4633193541611159255_n.jpg

Midnightrider

If I may ...

Damn you are an ass. Pulling down a statue of the king was not based on ideology but was an in your face affront to the king and his policies. I don't really care why any monument, statue, plaque or whatever was put up. As far as I'm concerned it is about free speech. These are more akin to political speech as anything else. You are a black person and just don't like them. Boo effing hoo. Don't look at them. Your feelings must really get hurt quite often. Affirmative action not quite working for you as you expect? That kind of discrimination and racism must be ok for you?

If it makes you feel better you can look at this as an in your face affront to white supremacy.

You should really try to understand the subject if you are going to try to debate it

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I still stand by my original opinion that the winners get the statues, not the losers. Do we keep statues of King George III around? No, we don't. Do we have monuments to the British soldiers? We sure don't. At least not in any significant number. Do you see statues of Hitler in Germany, or monuments to Saddam Hussein in Iraq? Nope, you sure don't.

The Confederates lost. Like, a superdeduperdy long time ago. It's time for some of you to get over it and move on. Embrace the UNITED States.

This, in my mind, has little to do with the travesty of slavery, although I can certainly understand why black Americans might take offense at seeing monuments to those who fought to keep their ancestors enslaved, and then terrorized them after the war. This is more about lauding and memorializing those who tried to overthrow our country....and lost.

Having towns or streets or whatever named after historical figures - no problemo. But statues and monuments are a tribute, and I do not understand why we would pay tribute to those who tried to destroy the United States (and lost).

Hijinx

I still stand by my original opinion that the winners get the statues, not the losers. Do we keep statues of King George III around? No, we don't. Do we have monuments to the British soldiers? We sure don't. At least not in any significant number. Do you see statues of Hitler in Germany, or monuments to Saddam Hussein in Iraq? Nope, you sure don't.

The Confederates lost. Like, a superdeduperdy long time ago. It's time for some of you to get over it and move on. Embrace the UNITED States.

This, in my mind, has little to do with the travesty of slavery, although I can certainly understand why black Americans might take offense at seeing monuments to those who fought to keep their ancestors enslaved, and then terrorized them after the war. This is more about lauding and memorializing those who tried to overthrow our country....and lost.

Having towns or streets or whatever named after historical figures - no problemo. But statues and monuments are a tribute, and I do not understand why we would pay tribute to those who tried to destroy the United States (and lost).

Freedom is a wonderful thing.but what some people do with it is an atrocity.
I guess you are definitely not in favor of an Obama statue.
But pray tell us what you like to embrace in an America in the shape it is in today.
Don't get me wrong I love America.
But about half of those living here are truly pissing me off.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Freedom is a wonderful thing.but what some people do with it is an atrocity.
I guess you are definitely not in favor of an Obama statue.

?

Obama is a former US president, not the leader of a military action against our country.

A better analogy would be if we erected statues to memorialize the Islamic 9-11 hijackers, or the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbor. I am definitely not in favor of that.

Hijinx

?

Obama is a former US president, not the leader of a military action against our country.

A better analogy would be if we erected statues to memorialize the Islamic 9-11 hijackers, or the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbor. I am definitely not in favor of that.

Obama did more to hurt this country than the 911 bombers IMO.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Having towns or streets or whatever named after historical figures - no problemo. B.

Except that those are being changed too. Except for that.

Will be interesting to see them tear down some of the other prominent monuments to slave-owning white supremacists.

black dog

Free America
You would think that the King family would be upset that every town that I have been in that has a road renamed to Martin Luther King Blvd and it runs through the slums / ghetto.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Except that those are being changed too. Except for that.

Except for who cares? You don't even live in New Orleans, why should you have any say so about their decorations? I don't understand why you care about a city you don't even live in.

On another note, they are looking for homes for these statues and monuments. You could take ol' Jeff Davis and put him in your yard, then nobody could say a thing about it. Or they could, but you could tell them to piss up a rope and enjoy their frustration.

I think you should buy that statue.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You would think that the King family would be upset that every town that I have been in that has a road renamed to Martin Luther King Blvd and it runs through the slums / ghetto.

Not a very good legacy, is it? When Monello and I see a road in our travels called MLK - and there's one just about everywhere we go - we know to avoid it because it's typically smack in the middle of a roached out drug ghetto.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Except for who cares? You don't even live in New Orleans, why should you have any say so about their decorations? I don't understand why you care about a city you don't even live in.

On another note, they are looking for homes for these statues and monuments. You could take ol' Jeff Davis and put him in your yard, then nobody could say a thing about it. Or they could, but you could tell them to piss up a rope and enjoy their frustration.

I think you should buy that statue.

You have no knowledge of my family roots or history. Presumptuous much? :coffee:

I'll wait until they tear some down closer to home...transportation will be a lot less money.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Anyway, history is not being "erased". All they're doing is removing statues and monuments to enemies of the United States. That's not "erasing history". History is still there.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Anyway, history is not being "erased". All they're doing is removing statues and monuments to enemies of the United States. That's not "erasing history". History is still there.

If you cannot see it, is it really there? Who would ever know? :whistle:

Erase the names on streets and buildings, remove the statues and monuments, remove from school curricula and ...there ya are.