Eviction movers

Restless

I feel badly for the OP. A house near us was rented by a guy and his young son. They paid two months rent and then quit paying until they were evicted eight months later. It turns out, according to the sheriff's office, this guy had done this before several times and will probably do it again and again. I think there should be somewhere that you can check up on people like that before renting to them. They sure know how to scam people!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
You may find that the folks end up moving themselves at the last minute. They dig in because they aren't paying and will stay to the bitter end. They know the process takes time and they use it to their advantage.

I 2nd the change the lock idea.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Actually, this is a great idea. Get other people to do the heavy moving for you. :yay:

BUT, the idea would be to post that a house is being emptied, and that the items must FIRST be placed off of the property, then the items can be hauled off. You can't invite people to come in to the house and then take items directly to their vehicles; the items MUST first be placed off of the property. Once items are by the side of the road, it's a free-for-all.

The owner of the property has the first option to retrieve her goods prior to anyone else in a grab-fest.

:yay::yay:
It must be set outside on Common ground.
The Sheriff will be the witness.
Once Sheriff leaves it is free game.

Been there done it.

mitzi

Just a thought...

You get some friends to move the items. Something breaks. Then she sues you for damages.

Get bonded movers. If anything.. to avoid future problems :yay:

The renter can't sue for damages if the landlord has a court order for them to move out. When the sheriff's shows up with the landlord and the court order, the landlord is taking possession of the property. The renter should have their stuff out of there, they know when the day is. If not, landlord is not responsible for damages to their stuff.

BernieP

Resident PIA
For those of you who have had to do an eviction, did you hire movers or move the tenants belongings yourself? Apparently my renter is going to hold out, so I am faced with either moving a whole household (while I am moving my own house that week as well) or hiring movers. She already owes me over the small claims court limit, so I am not likely to get reimbursed (for any of it, for that matter, I'm not likely to see a penny from her I'm thinking). How much is it going to run me? Any recommendations?

<cough> fire sale

molly_21

I feel badly for the OP. A house near us was rented by a guy and his young son. They paid two months rent and then quit paying until they were evicted eight months later. It turns out, according to the sheriff's office, this guy had done this before several times and will probably do it again and again. I think there should be somewhere that you can check up on people like that before renting to them. They sure know how to scam people!

That is why you do a credit report and a background check. That stuff would come up and therefore save yourself a lot of time and money.

SG_Player1974

The renter can't sue for damages if the landlord has a court order for them to move out. When the sheriff's shows up with the landlord and the court order, the landlord is taking possession of the property. The renter should have their stuff out of there, they know when the day is. If not, landlord is not responsible for damages to their stuff.

Yeah... when I posted that there was no indication that the OP had already finished the process and had the order in-hand. Only mentioned that they were in the process of an eviction.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
That is why you do a credit report and a background check. That stuff would come up and therefore save yourself a lot of time and money.

You can't always trust someone's credit, background, or references.

That's the truth. Plus, I'm definitely not trying to be mean or vindictive she had some things happen and I do feel bad. Just my empathy can't translate into supporting someone is all. Some good info in here and hopefully we can avoid everything, I will see end of this week. I hope so. it's a total nightmare and I have no desire to rent pretty much ever again, lol.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
it's a total nightmare and I have no desire to rent pretty much ever again, lol.

My first tenants were SPECTACULAR on paper. Good jobs, credit, references, etc. Hubby and I ended up spending several thousand dollars after they vacated to fix things (flooring, master tub, ceiling fans, windows, patio furniture, and more). Not once were they late on rent. I've since had 2 other tenants, both have been awesome every way around. My current tenants are military, moved from San Diego, and we hang out with them. They are great folks and I'm so fortunate they are taking care of the property like it is theirs. Both are recently divorced/ remarried and do not have any credit as a result of their divorces. I gave them a chance because I trusted my instincts. They have been the BEST renters to date!

So just wait the two weeks and do not renew the lease. Then get the eviction papers from the court. Once she's evicted, file a small claims case against her for back rent. You need to take care and do this stuff in order. Do not let her live there with the hopes she will pay you. She won't!

DEEKAYPEE8569

My first tenants were SPECTACULAR on paper. Good jobs, credit, references, etc. Hubby and I ended up spending several thousand dollars after they vacated to fix things (flooring, master tub, ceiling fans, windows, patio furniture, and more). Not once were they late on rent. I've since had 2 other tenants, both have been awesome every way around. My current tenants are military, moved from San Diego, and we hang out with them. They are great folks and I'm so fortunate they are taking care of the property like it is theirs. Both are recently divorced/ remarried and do not have any credit as a result of their divorces. I gave them a chance because I trusted my instincts. They have been the BEST renters to date!

The Military folks who have likely lived in base housing are more often than not, better to rent to because of 'leave this place exactly the way it was when you moved in; if not better' which, I believe, is what is instilled in our Military members from day one, at least with regards to living quarters.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
The Military folks who have likely lived in base housing are more often than not, better to rent to because of 'leave this place exactly the way it was when you moved in; if not better' which, I believe, is what is instilled in our Military members from day one, at least with regards to living quarters.
I actually prefer not to rent to military and have turned several down. However, this couple just seemed to fit and I'm glad everything has worked out.

mitzi

That's the truth. Plus, I'm definitely not trying to be mean or vindictive she had some things happen and I do feel bad. Just my empathy can't translate into supporting someone is all. Some good info in here and hopefully we can avoid everything, I will see end of this week. I hope so. it's a total nightmare and I have no desire to rent pretty much ever again, lol.

Do you have the court order eviction date? She has to have it too, it's taped it to the front door. Hopefully, she'll have her things out of there before that day and you'll be spared the headache.

JeJeTe

Happiness
So as someone who is potentially becoming a landlord for the first time and renting their house out...any suggestions? I know some people who do it different ways so I didn't know if anyone had any tips.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Question. The renter knows ahead of time when the eviction is correct? If they have to be out by high noon and it's 12:01 pm, and you show up with the court order and the Sherriff, do you still have to allow them to remove their stuff? I would have thought that at the 12:01 mark, it's all my property now.

FED_UP

Might want to invest in a taser and mace, sounds like this could get ugly.

Last edited: