Favorite rifles...

black dog

Free America
I'm 58 myself.. and I don't believe it's being " snide " if it's a topic that a person knows inside and out and have been doing it for decades and not just talking about it.
54R ain't the Shizzle...
To think that you can shoot Long Range without reloading and be competitive is laughable. Never once have I seen anyone win any long range match with over the counter center fire ammunition.

Like I said earlier Sir, get that Grendel some worthy optics or sights and get out and shoot some matches.. and there's plenty around in Md, Va, De, Penn and WV..
Otherwise it's just blowing smoke..
I would also suggest that you go and shoot a Appleseed first at Sanners one weekend, and see how well you do at 33' with a rimfire, a GI sling and open sights. Go with a open mind, it will quickly be a humbling experience and you will gain vast knowledge in shooting a rifle Sir.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm 58 myself.. and I don't believe it's being " snide " if it's a topic that a person knows inside and out and have been doing it for decades and not just talking about it.
54R ain't the Shizzle...
To think that you can shoot Long Range without reloading and be competitive is laughable. Never once have I seen anyone win any long range match with over the counter center fire ammunition.

Like I said earlier Sir, get that Grendel some worthy optics or sights and get out and shoot some matches.. and there's plenty around in Md, Va, De, Penn and WV..
Otherwise it's just blowing smoke..
I would also suggest that you go and shoot a Appleseed first at Sanners one weekend, and see how well you do at 33' with a rimfire, a GI sling and open sights. Go with a open mind, it will quickly be a humbling experience and you will gain vast knowledge in shooting a rifle Sir.

Your snide is all based on your wildly inaccurate assumption of what my shooting background actually is. Why people do that is beyond me. Carry on..we're done here.

black dog

Free America
Your snide is all based on your wildly inaccurate assumption of what my shooting background actually is. Why people do that is beyond me. Carry on..we're done here.

You have posted your minimal LR shooting experience here more than once Sir.
I'll keep my eye open on the line for you..You will be easy to spot.

View attachment 116279

Last edited:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
IMG_0514.JPG

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
One rifle that is still on my "will buy someday" list is a sharpshooting rifle (1800s replica, also popularly known as a "Quigley") in .45-90.

black dog

Free America
One rifle that is still on my "will buy someday" list is a sharpshooting rifle (1800s replica, also popularly known as a "Quigley") in .45-90.

Do yourself a favor, don't buy a import reproduction.
Look into a US built Sharps by C Sharps, a used Axtel Sharps or a Shiloh Sharps or a Ballard from Shiloh.. all are true works of art and made in the USA.
I'm a lefty so shooting a Sharps just isn't comfortable.
You also might want to look at Browning's 1885 High walls that were released in the late 90's. Falling Blocks tend to work better for leftys. The BPCR model 1885's were offered in 40-65,,,, 45-70 and a Creedmore in 45-90,
I shoot the 45-70 and the 45-90. Browning did a very good job with these rifles, all were built with Badger barrels.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
One of the problems with 7.65 X 54R is no one but Sierra makes high quality bullets that are readily available in the States ...

ok so what is the issue with Sierra bullets :shrug:

7.62 x 54r is why I got into reloading .... @ $ 22 / 23 a box for Norma in the 80s I learned to reload for Cheap

:yay:

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
ok so what is the issue with Sierra bullets :shrug:

7.62 x 54r is why I got into reloading .... @ $ 22 / 23 a box for Norma in the 80s I learned to reload for Cheap

:yay:

What I said was, nobody but Sierra makes quality Match bullets, and you are kinda SOL if your rifle doesn't like them. ( I'm a huge Sierra and Burger fan ) Not all guns like all bullets that are available in that caliber.
And in the 80's Norma was about the only available boxer brass that was easy to find.
Back then Natchess was selling pulled silver tip .311 bullets for maybe 30 bucks a thou, I ordered 50 bmg can full. It was about the only time I saw cheap .311 bullets, I still have maybe 2/3rd's of that can left. My son shoots a few hundred each year.
If you look you can find Privi Parma ? Loaded 54r non corrosive boxer brass for under 18 bucks a box. Did you know Lapua has bought Berger Bullets ??
It will be interesting to see what they do with Berger..