FDA Approves Methylphenidate Patch for ADHD

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
kwillia said:
I can't say whether he is right or wrong. I'm just pointing out that "information" on the web can be found to either prove or disprove just about any subject... it all depends on what slant one wants to look for...:shrug:
THAT is 100% true! :yay: For me, when it comes to medical issues, I won't even entertain something that doesn't come from someone with at least some medical background/education/training.

crabcake

tomchamp said:
Not yet no. I can almost predict what is says though
Don't bother; you said earlier it was impossible for you to appear a bigger ass than you already have. :ohwell:

crabcake

tomchamp said:
The forum world has seen it from both of us.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Nevertheless, this thread was originally started to alert parents who might be interested to know about a long-awaited solution to medication issues for their kids. If you have nothing of value to add (which, thus far, you haven't), you're not a physician, and you don't have kids, why not go post your :bs: :blahblah: elsewhere and try and make someone laugh. :shrug:

tomchamp

crabcake said:
I have no idea what you're talking about. Nevertheless, this thread was originally started to alert parents who might be interested to know about a long-awaited solution to medication issues for their kids. If you have nothing of value to add (which, thus far, you haven't), you're not a physician, and you don't have kids, why not go post your :bs: :blahblah: elsewhere and try and make someone laugh. :shrug:

Come on you laughed at me somewhere in this thread.

Very interesting...

Exposure to mercury, used as a preservative in thimerosal containing vaccines (TCVs), leads to neurologic effects that may be the primary cause of the apparent autism epidemic, according to Bernard Rimland, Mark Geier, and a number of advocacy groups including Safe Minds. If true, one would expect the incidence of autism to be declining as the use of thimerosal containing vaccines declines. In the US, removal of thimerosal from children's vaccines was recommended in 1998. Childhood exposure may not have peaked until 2003 in the US, as pharmaceutical companies have moved toward compliance, according to research reported by Mark Geier. That research contradicts the findings of the Food and Drug Administration, which found that all major vaccines (except one influenza vaccine) was thimerosal-free by 2001.[55] European countries that abolished thimerosal before the US have not had declines in autism. Geier's study was heavily criticized by the American Academy of Pediatrics as unscientific.[56]

This... from the same article is a scary thought considering we women are encouraged to increase our folic acid intake during pregnancy...

Folic acid
Increased intake of folic acid by pregnant women roughly coincides with the reported increase in the prevalence of autism. The explanation offered is that folic acid allows more brain cells to survive than should. This hypothesis is untested at this point.

Now THIS ARTICLE on autism and the Amish makes some good points. :yay:

There is another equally plausible (some might even say more plausible) explanation - one that Mr. Olmsted has apparently dismissed, since he had it right in his hands. The Amish, and their neighbors the Mennonites, have been studied by geneticists for some time because they are a genetically isolated community. Although they accept converts, they don't get very many and so they don't get much "new blood" (genes). In addition, they don't move around much and their members tend to marry within the community - those who don't often leave and join their "English" (as they call people outside their communities, regardless of ethnicity) spouse outside of the community.

In genetic terms, what is happening is called "inbreeding" - and it has some very predictable results. One of these is that some variations of genes are lost and other variations become more common. There is a tendency to genetic uniformity, with only a few of the possible variations remaining. Among the Amish and Mennonites, the result has been a dramatic rise in genetic disorders that are more rare in the general population (see here, here and here) as a result of this rise in frequency of the "abnormal" variations of several genes.