FL School Shooting

PsyOps

Pixelated
They have a point. There are a number of flaws in the "good guy with a gun" mantra, but this incident points out one of them quite clearly.

Everybody always thinks they're Dirty Harry from the armchair. But, as Mike Tyson said, "Everybody got a plan until they get punched in the face."

I'll go with the odds in favor of having a good guy with a gun. There was no good guy with a gun in this school, and there are 17 dead kids.

I'd like to think that, when someone breaks into my house, I won't hesitate to shoot that person. Dirty Harry is the last thing on my mind. But, not wanting to actually pull that trigger is. The last thing I WANT to do is kill someone. But, when it boils down to the criminal or me, I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that criminal is going down. This MUST be the mentality we have in our schools.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
I don't think this is anything more than a guy not doing his job. There are thousands upon thousands of good guys with guns. Doesn't mean they're going to step up when needed, and you'll never even know they didn't. Only if they do.
I don't know why he didn't do his job. Did he know about the time delay on the camera's? Did he think twice about going up against a scarier gun than his? Was he just a coward? Maybe he was a coward and that's why he landed Puberty Duty. Maybe they should have given him Crosswalk Duty.

Maybe what he was taught was wait until backup arrived?
It's gotta just suck to try to clear a building full of running people with a active shooter somewhere inside when you are alone.
Officer looks left at a corridor intersection and " Bang " he's dead too, he shouldn't looked right.. Things could go really good or really bad with being by yourself.

black dog

Free America
I'll go with the odd in favor of having a good guy with a gun. There was no good guy with a gun in this school, and there are 17 dead kids.

I'd like to think that, when someone breaks into my house, I won't hesitate to shoot that person. Dirty Harry is the last thing on my mind. But, not wanting to actually pull that trigger is. The last thing I WANT to do is kill someone. But, when it boils down to the criminal or me, I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that criminal is going down. This MUST be the mentality we have in our schools.

But that's nothing more than a bandage, it doesn't fix the problem.
We didn't have this problem 40+ years ago, What has changed?

My opinion, we don't handle mental health problems like we used to.
It's hard to shoot up anything if your in a mental institution..

PsyOps

Pixelated
[/B]

But that's nothing more than a bandage, it doesn't fix the problem.
We didn't have this problem 40+ years ago, What has changed?

My opinion, we don't handle mental health problems like we used to.
It's hard to shoot up anything if your in a mental institution..

There was a cultural shift somewhere along the line. How many of these people that commit these shootings grew up on ritalin. When did ADHD become a thing? All of us, in my generation would have been diagnosed with ADHD if we grew up in a later generation. The shift happened when parents no longer wanted to deal with kids being kids. The shift happened when kids woke up with no parents in the house and came from school with no parents in the house, because they were both working, or divorced. The shift happened when activists stepped in the way of parents and their ability to discipline their own kids in their own way. Schools handed out cards telling the kids if they felt abused in any way to call this number and the cops will come and arrest the parent for abuse.

I suppose we could go on and on about what went wrong, but the bottom line is, in my opinion, our society put kids in the back seat for someone else to deal with. There isn't one single thing to put a finger on; but the one key word that keeps coming to mind is "responsibility". No one wants to take it.

black dog

Free America
There was a cultural shift somewhere along the line. How many of these people that commit these shootings grew up on ritalin. When did ADHD become a thing? All of us, in my generation would have been diagnosed with ADHD if we grew up in a later generation. The shift happened when parents no longer wanted to deal with kids being kids. The shift happened when kids woke up with no parents in the house and came from school with no parents in the house, because they were both working, or divorced. The shift happened when activists stepped in the way of parents and their ability to discipline their own kids in their own way. Schools handed out cards telling the kids if they felt abused in any way to call this number and the cops will come and arrest the parent for abuse.

I suppose we could go on and on about what went wrong, but the bottom line is, in my opinion, our society put kids in the back seat for someone else to deal with. There isn't one single thing to put a finger on; but the one key word that keeps coming to mind is "responsibility". No one wants to take it.

I agree with what you are saying for the most part.. but I've never understood mental health problems exspecially that have violent or agressive behavior should definitely not be allowed to self medicate. When we had state institutions we just didn't have some of the problems that we have now.
Put the crazy, back in the crazy house.