Gay Mafia Is Fighting For Special Rights, Not Equal Rights

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
For those who don't seem to understand tolerance towards religion - I suggest consider political lines.

Those screaming for Tolerance and 'just leave me alone to live' are the most intolerant screaming the loudest making a scene in the public square demanding attention :diva:

Sapidus

you really have not been paying attention, I am not going to explain it to you

Because you can't because there is no difference other than hateful discrimination.

Like Ghandi said. I really like your Christ. Your christians however I don't like. They don't act much like Christ

Sapidus

I don't mind explaining it to her.

In Piggly Wiggly case, the offended suffered from a condition over which they had no control. In Masterpiece Cake, the offended were not suffering and they had made a personal choice to living the lifestyle they were living.

Are you saying being black is a condition one suffers from?

People are born gay. When did you make the personal choice to be straight? How many men did you sleep with first?

Sapidus

Here, I actually disagree with you. While even gay and bi friends I have, have said they do know people who say they are gay or bi but honestly think they really aren't -
I do think people are born that way. I wouldn't say it is "normal" anymore than being born blind or missing limbs or mentally retarded is "normal" - but I don't believe it is their fault.
I have two children who were born with abnormalities - I love them more than life, but they had no choice in the matter.

So it may surprise Sappy and others that while some of us support the baker in this instance - we still support gay marriage.
I have gay married relatives. That's fine with me. I support this man in his religion also.
I would not compel a Hasidic Jew or Muslim to do something against their religion, and there are a lot of places where that might happen.
Can you imagine an employer who compelled a religious person to work on a day their religion forbids them to?
To touch someone his religion forbids him to?

These men chose a baker and they could have bought anything in the store, and there would have been no problem - and that's from the owner saying that.
He said that.
What he objected to was making a wedding cake and thus endorsing the marriage and he believed he could not do that.
Almost certainly they could have gone to dozens of other places and had no problem.
They could have bought every other thing in the store, and he would have had no problem with it.
A Hasidic Jew or Muslim is not allowed to touch a member of the opposite sex unless they are married or related -
can people see that some people might take offense at that? It's their religion. They have that right.

For those who don't seem to understand tolerance towards religion - I suggest consider political lines.
Such as your union supporting Trump, and you paying union dues - and you can't have a job without the union.

The problem is that baking a wedding cake is not supporting a gay wedding.

it is performing your chosen duties as a baker.

If you offer a public service you must offer it to everyone equally.

How is the Piggie park case different from the bakers case if you believe gays were also born that way just like black people.

What would you say to the baker if the said they would not serve your children as the believe based on their religion that your children should have been killed at birth due to the disabilities?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
So do you guys believe the Supremes got their previous Piggly Park ruling wrong when they said that the white owner had to serve black customers despite his religious objections?

I'm going to go with yes here. I think freedom of association says you should be able to no service to any and all customers. Market forces will dictate whether the business stands or falls.

Sapidus

I'm going to go with yes here. I think freedom of association says you should be able to no service to any and all customers. Market forces will dictate whether the business stands or falls.

Well I am going to go with the decision made by some of the greatest legal minds in the country based on all the evidence over you who bases his decision on a book of fairy tales of unknown origin

SamSpade

The problem is that baking a wedding cake is not supporting a gay wedding.

That's your opinion.

My brother's daughter married outside her religion - and my brother refused to attend. I told him, it's your daughter, dammit.
He refused - said it was condoning something he could not condone. His opinion. Not mine.

We've had any number of discussions on here - and you don't have a lot of room for accepting other's opinions and perspectives, but you absolutely expect others to honor yours.

If someone does or says something you consider racist - and they don't - are they supposed to respect YOUR opinion or you theirs?
So it works both ways, doesn't it? When it offends YOU, you expect them to respect it - but when it's the other way - you don't.
Do you see how it works? Tolerance is a two way street.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Well I am going to go with the decision made by some of the greatest legal minds in the country based on all the evidence over you who bases his decision on a book of fairy tales of unknown origin

Apparently you think I'm going by a book, wrong again. I'm going from a single parchment, care to guess which one?

Sapidus

Apparently you think I'm going by a book, wrong again. I'm going from a single parchment, care to guess which one?

You have the freedom to practice your religion based on that parchment. Not the freedom to impose those beliefs on others

Hijinx

That's your opinion.

My brother's daughter married outside her religion - and my brother refused to attend. I told him, it's your daughter, dammit.
He refused - said it was condoning something he could not condone. His opinion. Not mine.

We've had any number of discussions on here - and you don't have a lot of room for accepting other's opinions and perspectives, but you absolutely expect others to honor yours.

If someone does or says something you consider racist - and they don't - are they supposed to respect YOUR opinion or you theirs?
So it works both ways, doesn't it? When it offends YOU, you expect them to respect it - but when it's the other way - you don't.
Do you see how it works? Tolerance is a two way street.

If you daughter was marrying a Muslim in a Muslim wedding ceremony where she had to wear traditional Muslim garb, would you go.?
I know I wouldn't.

SamSpade

You have the freedom to practice your religion based on that parchment. Not the freedom to impose those beliefs on others

Well, that baker was perfectly happy sitting in his own shop by himself until two people came in and had the government compel him to do otherwise.

Who was forcing their belief?

SamSpade

If you daughter was marrying a Muslim in a Muslim wedding ceremony where she had to wear traditional Muslim garb, would you go.?
I know I wouldn't.

If it was my daughter - I'd honor her wish. I'd honor it even if it was Nazis. It's my daughter. I wouldn't like it, but that's that.
I generally believe some things are more important than being *right*.

Sapidus

Well, that baker was perfectly happy sitting in his own shop by himself until two people came in and had the government compel him to do otherwise.

Who was forcing their belief?

He was. If he doesn't believe in gay marriage he shouldn't get gay married. Presumably he believes in baking cakes which is what he should have done if he has a cake shop open to the public.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Apparently that went completely over your head, imagine that. I have no religion, completely agnostic and happy to wait to find out about an afterlife. The parchment in question is the Constitution, specifically the first amendment.

From the supreme court "freedom of association is an essential part of freedom of speech because, in many cases, people can engage in effective speech only when they join with others"

Sapidus

Apparently that went completely over your head, imagine that. I have no religion, completely agnostic and happy to wait to find out about an afterlife. The parchment in question is the Constitution, specifically the first amendment.

From the supreme court "freedom of association is an essential part of freedom of speech because, in many cases, people can engage in effective speech only when they join with others"

That's fine but it doesn't provide anyone with the right to discriminate against others based on inherent traits

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
He was. If he doesn't believe in gay marriage he shouldn't get gay married. Presumably he believes in baking cakes which is what he should have done if he has a cake shop open to the public.

What else do you think the government should be able to force the owners of private businesses to do with their businesses?

Sapidus

What else do you think the government should be able to force the owners of private businesses to do with their businesses?

you mean like tax them and hold them to the dozens of regulations that they agree to abide by when they pay for a license from a state or county government?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
you mean like tax them and hold them to the dozens of regulations that they agree to abide by when they pay for a license from a state or county government?

What "regulations" are those that force them to operate their business a certain way? Be specific.

Sapidus

What "regulations" are those that force them to operate their business a certain way? Be specific.

you mean like being an equal opportunity employer? Many states and counties have regulations governing who you must serve too.

You aren't doing yourself any favors with this line of questioning.

I think your time would be better used Armor all'ing you trailers for winter