Goodbye shopping center by wawa

officeguy

The law in MD doesn't use the phrase 'legally stopped'. It only prohibits hands-on phone use while the vehicle is in motion.
Please point to some appeals court decisions that support your interpretation of the law.

steppinthrax

Actually it does matter in the eyes of the law. If the vehicle is legally stopped, they can do whatever they want with their phone.

MD Code § 21-1124.2(d)(2) states: "A driver of a motor vehicle that is in motion may not use the driver's hands to use a handheld telephone other than to initiate or terminate a wireless telephone call or to turn on or turn off the handheld telephone. "

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/transportation/title-21/subtitle-11/21-1124-2/

Define "motion"?

From DMV:

http://www.dmv.org/md-maryland/safety-laws.php

Cell Phones and Texting

Cell phone restrictions:

while operating a motor vehicle from using hand-held cell phones.
All learner permit and provisional license holders younger than 18 are banned from all cell phone usage.

Texting restrictions:

Texting is banned for all drivers, regardless of age or license status. This includes checking and sending texts while stopped at a red light.

As stated, texting is prohibited even at a stop light.

My interpretation of cell restriction - if you're behind the wheel and it's in drive, you are 'operating a motor vehicle'. Use of a cell phone is therefore banned while stopped. Will they go after you and ticket you? Depends on how annoyed the police are at the time.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
From DMV:

http://www.dmv.org/md-maryland/safety-laws.php

As stated, texting is prohibited even at a stop light.

My interpretation of cell restriction - if you're behind the wheel and it's in drive, you are 'operating a motor vehicle'. Use of a cell phone is therefore banned while stopped. Will they go after you and ticket you? Depends on how annoyed the police are at the time.

Hell, they wont even go after you if your doing 60 in a 55 and weaving while jabbering away. .

ltown81

I blame this on Royal Ahold. Growing up, and even when they built the one down here, Giant was the go to, "nice" store. The Target of grocery stores. Then Royal Ahole took over, stripped all the old Giant brand identity, and made them a clone of stop in shop. At the same time, they 30% more merchandise in the same store.

Giant is too damned cramped, can barely fit carts past each other in the aisles, and that is with considerate people and no displays in the middle of the aisle.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The law in MD doesn't use the phrase 'legally stopped'. It only prohibits hands-on phone use while the vehicle is in motion.
Please point to some appeals court decisions that support your interpretation of the law.

Does it say anything about Google Maps??

I mean, how can they make the use of Cell Phones illegal but I can look at a Garmin, yet my cell phone provides the same service.

Does it say anything about Google Maps??

I mean, how can they make the use of Cell Phones illegal but I can look at a Garmin, yet my cell phone provides the same service.

There's also no provision for a standard camera. Snap away...

Restitution

And the one on base is frequented by folks who cannot access, or haven't heard about, the commissary's deli. :drool:

Still need to be active or retiree to access the deli?

You do realize that MOST of the base population are NOT active or retirees... right? Hence, the larger lines at Subway.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That shopping center is in a horrible location anyway.

It became a horrible location when the entire intersection was redone, expanded etc.

25+ years ago, the liquor store there was one I regularly bought beer from....before the place became so awkward to get in and out of.