Greatest Drummer...?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I started marching at 11, playing baritone. 8 lbs. doesn't sound like much, but hold it in front of your face all day.

Then I moved to something easier - contrabass, at only 20 lbs. :lol:

Same with my daughter (age that is) she "aged in" before their first competition.

She played the French Horn in band, and took up the Mellophone for Drum Corps. She did great that year, than went back for a couple of practices and quit the following year, or the year after.

Butler Vagabonds (Butler PA) provided everything. They were required to volunteer a couple of times at the Bingo Hall, but other than that everything was provided and free. New instruments, nice uniforms.. transportation..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Your right... However, every modern Drummer will always say they were influenced by Neil Peart. Hell, Portnoy sounds just like him.

Peart, is by far the godfather of modern drumming.

If the title of the Tread was "Godfather of Modern Rock Drumming" I'd have nothing to add after Peart. :buddies:

I disagree that Portnoy sounds like Peart. Maybe I've listened to too much Peart and not enough Portnoy but, I ain't hearing it. It's like guitar players, at least to me. You can have the 10 'best' rock players of all time play the same guitar, no amp, and the tone, the inflection, it's different. This takes me a great deal of listening to get familiar with where I could begin to discern and, often, I need it pointed out because I don't have the training. However, once I get latched on to a players characteristics, then I can't miss it. :lol:

Fun tread.

LordStanley

I know nothing
If the title of the Tread was "Godfather of Modern Rock Drumming" I'd have nothing to add after Peart. :buddies:

I disagree that Portnoy sounds like Peart. Maybe I've listened to too much Peart and not enough Portnoy but, I ain't hearing it. It's like guitar players, at least to me. You can have the 10 'best' rock players of all time play the same guitar, no amp, and the tone, the inflection, it's different. This takes me a great deal of listening to get familiar with where I could begin to discern and, often, I need it pointed out because I don't have the training. However, once I get latched on to a players characteristics, then I can't miss it. :lol:

Fun tread.

Sorry I used the term "sound" in the wrong sense of the word. Its more of the drumlicks, fills and tecniques that Dummers use today, were born from the mind of Neil Peart. And he came up with this stuff back in the 70's

Floyd2004

-Void-
Anyone seen user VAdrum on youtube.
That guy is good IMO. Watch the barber of seville song with him drumming. Its great.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

I don't know why, but I never pictured you listening Peart/Rush.

:buddies:

The best drummer I ever had the pleasure to play along side was a Buddy Rich fan. He also introduced my to Al Di Meola's music.

The Greatest Drummer?

little drummer boy.jpg

BOP

Just 3 old farts...

...who can play their azzes off! Mr. Ginger Baker on drums, thankyouverymuch!

:drummer:

LordStanley

I know nothing
I learned somthing new today...

Did not know that Peart was influenced by Bonham.

I can really see the similarities between The drum solos in YYZ and mobydick...

Great Stuff!!!

BOP

I don't know why, but I never pictured you listening Peart/Rush.

:buddies:

The best drummer I ever had the pleasure to play along side was a Buddy Rich fan. He also introduced my to Al Di Meola's music.

Yeah, I always pictured Larry as a Lawrence Welk kind of guy.

Or Karen Carpenter:

BOP

I had run across this the other day, before I found the thread:

It's from the movie "Gonks Go Beat"

Gonks Go Beat is a 1965 British science fiction/musical fantasy film, directed by Robert Hartford-Davis and starring Kenneth Connor and Frank Thornton. The film is loosely based on the Romeo and Juliet storyline and features 16 musical numbers performed by a variety of artists, including Lulu, The Nashville Teens and, somewhat incongruously, members of the Graham Bond Organisation including Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce and Dick Heckstall-Smith. Other musical contributors were – and remained – obscure, although a curiosity for viewers in the British Isles is an appearance by a young Derek Thompson (now known as Charlie Fairhead in the long-running BBC series Casualty) performing with his twin sister Elaine.