Heads up if you get your cable tv through Breezeline

imaref

FYI for those of you that get your cable tv through Breezeline--they are switching to streaming only:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
IDK what this means for people like Mommy Dearest, but I foresee a lot of elderly people cancelling their service and doing something else to do in the spare time.

TPD

the poor dad
IDK what this means for people like Mommy Dearest, but I foresee a lot of elderly people cancelling their service and doing something else to do in the spare time.
That’s what I was thinking. They are making it too complicated for the average person to watch the tube. Keep it simple stupid!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That’s what I was thinking. They are making it too complicated for the average person to watch the tube. Keep it simple stupid!

I guess you will need a computer to watch the content now

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
It's too complicated for MD and I'm not too sure about my technical skills these days. I don't care enough to learn how to set this up and would only do it under duress. IDK why they have to improve something that's currently working. I guess it's time to look into satellite TV again. Is that still a thing?

somdwatch

I have seen them out and about in St. Mary's installing a lot of fiber cable underground. That would be a plus if they're doing it to the neighborhood level.

How government considers internet as "Infrastructure" when they can't maintain <insert item here> is beyond me.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
And you guys laughed at my TV antenna because.....cable.
I ALSO got laughed at BIG TIME when I installed one way back when.

I rarely watch TV but I wanted the antenna option in case of emergency type thing. I get 4, 5, 7, 9, 20, 50 and a bunch of other sub channels yearly. When the leaves fall off the trees, I can pick up stations in Baltimore.

Since my first install, my husband came across an antenna that was returned in the California store at Best Buy. He picked it up cheap. He wanted to go from the 2 TV antenna situation I installed to something larger to support 4-6 TVs. Now that we are empty nesters, I disconnected all the TV's and returned us to just 2. I do have a channel master booster installed. I find the antenna has been well worth it.

Clem72

If they charge the same, and you need a box either way, I don't see how this impacts cable customers other than the need to get a new box and perhaps slightly longer delay between switching channels.

On the other hand, it frees up a lot of bandwidth for their internet service so those with oversubscribed neighborhoods (poor/intermittent speeds) might get more stable internet.

sparkyaclown

I have seen them out and about in St. Mary's installing a lot of fiber cable underground. That would be a plus if they're doing it to the neighborhood level.

How government considers internet as "Infrastructure" when they can't maintain <insert item here> is beyond me.
It's my understanding the fiber is being done for Verizon's FIOS service not Breezeline.

SamSpade

:lmao:

They have to pay for the new hardware to provide streaming services.
Several people I know have already just simply jumped to YouTube TV or Sling because they get the equivalent of DVR and all the channels that Breezeline offers.

And I've yet to sell the idea to my family to go to one of these. We already pay for several TiVos and cable equipment and the ADDITIONAL cost just to be able to access the stored shows at each (you pay for rental of a hub device).

My beef with some of these is, there's only so many SIMULTANEOUS devices allowed per account - and we have just a buttload of TVs in our house.
Of course, only three are TiVo, so maybe we're fine.

PeoplesElbow

Requiring a cable box really did my mom in. After her stroke she just isn't always right. I'd come home and there was nothing on the TV cause she hit the source button.

I have YouTube tv and I set it to a channel she likes when I leave at 6am and sometimes it's still playing when I get home, other times she has hit the source button and the TV has no input.

The nurse at the assisted living place she did her rehab in told me that she became an expert on fixing cable box remotes. Every time there was a power flicker the boxes there needed the output changed.

When I cancelled her cable I told the cable company that elderly people had a hard time with their 100 button remote.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Will forward that article to the Mrs. Looks like we'll be paring back to just phone and internet from them.

TPD

the poor dad
And you guys laughed at my TV antenna because.....cable.
I finally got the antenna up about 2 months ago. So far only have it hooked to one TV - haven't yet convinced my wife its the way to go for all TVs in our house. This cable shift may make that happen. Time will tell.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
I may be dense (in a recent poll, 54% of respondents said I was), but I don't understand their new business model. Assuming everyone who currently has cable also has Internet through them, at 2X the cost. Why would I not just can cancel the cable and use my existing internet and subscribe to the streaming services of my choice, like I do now? Seems like they're cutting off their own foot.

I gave DirecTV the boot several years ago after they kept increasing the price. That saved $120/mo. Now, my paid entertainment is Amazon Prime (which I would buy anyway because shipping costs basically pay for the Prime) and YouTube Premium for $13/mo. so I don't have to suffer through ads. I might pick up a premo channel like Paramount+ here and there for a month or two so I can watch Star Trek or 1923.