Heads up if you get your cable tv through Breezeline

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

No, they don't deliver, they provide the means of connectivity. Just like a road provides connectivity (the ability to easily traverse between locations as opposed to trekking through the wild). A road doesn't deliver anything, it is those using the road that deliver.

Dropping the cable TV service option and going to a streaming service just removes the need for the bandwidth that was occupied by the TV signal. It isn't like they are switching to wireless service and freeing up the cable for another's use.

It was an euphemism. Dropping TV service, broadcasting, makes them by default, a delivery data sending-receiving directional transmission service only. That means of connectivity is, yes, a cable. But, now, will be a much larger dedicated network cable instead.

Here's what I found that may shed more light on the subject.

Does cable TV slow down internet?

It depends on the TV.

The way cable TV works is similar to aerial TV in that the total available bandwidth is divided into broadcast TV channels. On cable some of these channels are then reserved for broadcasting downstream internet data instead of TV video/audio data.

The whole point of the channel split is that channels don’t interfere with one another, and so this also avoids the broadcast TV channels interfering with the internet channels. Upstream internet channels are separate again. And in any case broadcast TV is always there occupying cable bandwidth whether your household is watching it or not.

As an example the cable I use is split into around 100 broadcast channels, 36 of which are reserved for internet downstream. Note that digital TV allows for multiple logical TV channels simultaneously on a single physical TV channel, and so the cable provider can still broadcast 100s of TV channels. Meanwhile 36 internet channels provide a total downstream capacity of around 2Gbps per cable segment, shared across internet subscribers using this segment.

However the catch is that a lot of cable TV nowadays is on demand rather than broadcast. On demand TV is more like internet data, and in cases where the provider sends this over the internet bandwidth then this is in direct contention with other internet demand.

So the answer to the question is that using broadcast TV on cable doesn’t impact the internet, but using on demand TV may do, especially at peak periods.

PeoplesElbow

I kind of joked about using an antenna. Having a transmission tower is mandated by the Feds, but it's expensive to maintain, has limited range, and I'm sure the FCC would love to use that bandwidth for up and coming high speed wireless networks. Wouldn't doubt there are factions trying to eliminate the requirement for transmission towers and antennas. After all, it's "free" to the consumer, and we can't have that now, can we?
ATSC 3.0 makes it possible to charge for OTA content....

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The UK and Europe has been scrambling OTA broadcasts since at least the 80s. Can't have you getting those BBC channels without paying your TV fee.
Poor boy.

If you run along 235 you can collect a lot of aluminum cans to help you pay your bill. :jet:

Clem72

Poor boy.

If you run along 235 you can collect a lot of aluminum cans to help you pay your bill. :jet:
Sorry, i'm retired. At least I understand you frustrations now after kinnakeet mentioned your need to resort to the goold ole pocket rocket?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Sorry, i'm retired. At least I understand you frustrations now after kinnakeet mentioned your need to resort to the goold ole pocket rocket?
Sorry, I dont' travel in your kind of circles.

Now tuck your man-bun back up under your porkpie hat and go hop on your electric rocket. ( Treat yourself to a good time and set it on high ) :jet:

LostInSOMD

Does that mean it will cost less? I’m currently paying a fortune for Breezeline.
HA! I cut the cord 5 years ago and cut my bill in half with some basic streaming services. If you have an Amazon subscription, you have one already. Look for "free TV", like Pluto TV, that you can load as an app on a smart TV.

HemiHauler

But again - wouldn't shifting to streaming pretty much mean - they're NOT a TV cable company service anymore?

I’ve not thought the distinction between “streaming” and cableTV has been significant for the last 20 years or so since cable carriers started offering “broadband” internet. The internet portion was really nothing more than just another “channel” a subscriber could order whose data was packetized and delivered to the cable modem.

It was all TCP/IP just as it is today, though packets probably framed a bit differently back in coax cable days. Only difference I can see is that streaming services are now delivered via specialized apps on smartTVs or other dedicated devices. And of course - whom you pay for the streaming capability.

But I take your point: it all comes down to how regulations are written as to how they can reasonably be called a cable TV company.

Last edited:

SamSpade

Only difference I can see is that streaming services are now delivered via specialized apps on smartTVs or other dedicated devices. And of course - whom you pay for the streaming capability.
There's also that, with the cable company, multiple TVs didn't seem to attenuate any kind of signal throughout my house. Granted, the way they've run cable on my property is crazy, but I don't get buffering on my channels as I OFTEN DO with streaming.

Because my streaming capabilities are constrained by my wifi configuration - and just how MANY damned items I have that are wifi capable, and from some of my latest networking software - I seriously had NO IDEA just how many there were. Every phone, every tablet, every TV and now every appliance it seems and so forth. Everything is tapping my wifi.

But I take your point: it all comes down to how regulations are written as to how they can reasonably be called a cable TV company.
And I think this may be the motivation in part - by not actually being a bona fide cable company, they aren't held back by any federal regulations on pricing, but I don't really understand the rationale for this. I think, unless they offer something BETTER than Philo or YouTubeTV, the moment they make the change on me, I'm gone.

BernieP

Resident PIA
IDK what this means for people like Mommy Dearest, but I foresee a lot of elderly people cancelling their service and doing something else to do in the spare time.
What it means is more money for less. I have internet only, so I'm basically streaming everything now, but they stick TiVO in the loop (charge+) and a lot of the "channels" or apps charge a premium (charge+) If you want to watch your favorite shows on CBS / Paramount, you will need to pay them for the pleasure of using the app and I can promise you will still get commercials.
It cuts their costs as they will no longer need to have any external receivers, they will just get it off the internet. A lot of the local stations have internet feeds now, not the same content you currently get over the air, but close.

eric14

I’ve not thought the distinction between “streaming” and cableTV has been significant for the last 20 years or so since cable carriers started offering “broadband” internet. The internet portion was really nothing more than just another “channel” a subscriber could order whose data was packetized and delivered to the cable modem.

It was all TCP/IP just as it is today, though packets probably framed a bit differently back in coax cable days. Only difference I can see is that streaming services are now delivered via specialized apps on smartTVs or other dedicated devices. And of course - whom you pay for the streaming capability.

This is the core reason why I have no problem owning a movie on Blu-Ray. I stick with DVD for television shows only mainly. Despite the convince of streaming, it doesn't hurt to have a backup for watching movies. I stick with VHS for old movies, but then again I'm kinda medieval; also years ago some places sold VHS at 50 or even 25 cents; some of my VHS tapes only costed me 25 cents! Some of the movies in my VHS library such as War of the Worlds only cost me a quarter, so why pay the higher price when you have a working VCR? I'm kinda crazy anyway.

awpitt

Main Streeter
FYI for those of you that get your cable tv through Breezeline--they are switching to streaming only:

I haven't used Breezline's CATV line up in over two years. Just their Internet connection (200 Mb per second plan). For content, I use Chromecast w/ Google TV devices.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
A few years ago when they had a rate hike, I turned cable TV off, kept internet and got Sling. Easy peasy.

Easy peasy is not what that same situation would be for a 99 yr old.

Breezeline is going up again. Basic TV with cable channels, no movie channels, no internet, no fancy equipment. Just under $200.

The TV is her constant companion, so we'll just suck up the rate hike.

Clem72

They didn't change the plan price, but my bill went up $5 because they reduced the auto-pay + ecosave discount from $10 to $5.

I would drop them if I had literally any other option (that's not satellite based). Can't even get LTE or 5G internet at my location.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
They didn't change the plan price, but my bill went up $5 because they reduced the auto-pay + ecosave discount from $10 to $5.

I would drop them if I had literally any other option (that's not satellite based). Can't even get LTE or 5G internet at my location.
This I do not understand. No more paper bills and automatic CC payments. How is that more expensive for them to take away part of our discount?

Clem72

This I do not understand. No more paper bills and automatic CC payments. How is that more expensive for them to take away part of our discount?
It's not. Same way that it doesn't cost them $15 a month to rent you the same $100 router that you have had for 5 years and used to cost $10 a month.

I assume this is part of that greedflation they talk about, companies charging more just because they can and you will just blame inflation/the economy.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It's not. Same way that it doesn't cost them $15 a month to rent you the same $100 router that you have had for 5 years and used to cost $10 a month.

I assume this is part of that greedflation they talk about, companies charging more just because they can and you will just blame inflation/the economy.
I've had my own router for years.