Help... I'm starting Keto

stgislander

PREMO Member
Is anyone out there doing the Keto diet? If so, how are you making out with it.

My wife has been considering it (along with a couple other diets) for a while because of her diabetes, but could never pull the trigger. I finally did today. (You know what they say. Either sh!t or get off the pot.) To make it easier on her, I am going to do it as well. We packed up every unopened packaged "card" to take to the food pantry. Everything else went into the trash.

Giving up breads and pastas is going to be very tough. But according to what I read, I guess I will also be giving up things like potatoes, beans, pumpkin/squash and other starchy vegetables. My wife says that includes beer, but I can drink distilled spirits.

The things we do for our loved ones.

Clem72

Is anyone out there doing the Keto diet? If so, how are you making out with it.

My wife has been considering it (along with a couple other diets) for a while because of her diabetes, but could never pull the trigger. I finally did today. (You know what they say. Either sh!t or get off the pot.) To make it easier on her, I am going to do it as well. We packed up every unopened packaged "card" to take to the food pantry. Everything else went into the trash.

Giving up breads and pastas is going to be very tough. But according to what I read, I guess I will also be giving up things like potatoes, beans, pumpkin/squash and other starchy vegetables. My wife says that includes beer, but I can drink distilled spirits.

The things we do for our loved ones.
Worked great.....for the 4 months I could stick with it. I decided I would rather die fat and sassy then give up carbs.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I somewhat follow it. I hardly ever eat bread, rice and potatoes. If you have a Facebook, look up and follow Keto for Beginners. They post a lot of recipes for meals and desserts. Aldi also carries a lot of keto friendly items. I stick with a lot of protein and veggies. And some fruits.

Clem72

That is a fear.
I will note the sugar cravings / snacking tapered off after about a week so it does get easier. But eventually it was too much trouble trying to keep a separate diet from the rest of the family, and not being much of a cookerist my options were kind of limited and I got tired of pork chops, steak, and bacon/eggs (I know, sounds impossible, but true).

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My fiance started before the holidays and I was kind of on it with her. Thankfully, she decided that this time of year we could cheat and haven't picked it back up yet.

mitzi

I did it before it was called Keto, it was Atkins. It does work and takes awhile to get used to it. My downfall is potatoes, bread, etc. Be careful what you buy at the store. Much of the items marked low carb, carb smart or keto maybe only be 1 or 2 net carbs lower than the regular item.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I will note the sugar cravings / snacking tapered off after about a week so it does get easier.

This ^^ the first week is the worst while you're breaking your food habits.

I'm jumping back on the wagon too. I don't know why I ever go back to eating junk carbs except the world is filled with them and they're cheap. Plus...you know...brownies taste good. Tots taste good.

PeoplesElbow

This ^^ the first week is the worst while you're breaking your food habits.

I'm jumping back on the wagon too. I don't know why I ever go back to eating junk carbs except the world is filled with them and they're cheap. Plus...you know...brownies taste good. Tots taste good.
Cheap? I went to get some Cheetos the other day and it was $6 for the bag, I left them in the store.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Cheap? I went to get some Cheetos the other day and it was $6 for the bag, I left them in the store.

People will bitch and cry about spending $4 for a dozen eggs, then turn around and blithely spend $6 on a bag of Cheetos. I don't make human nature, I just observe it.

LJ1999

It has always worked for me. I used to do Atkins every year for the month of March. I found that I had to really, really meal plan to make sure I didn't cheat or fall off the wagon at home.

On Atkins you could eat Sweet Potatoes. I made mashed sweet potatoes a lot to go with pork roast.

Now, they have so many Cauliflower options at the store that it makes it a little bit easier.

You do actually feel better without the carbs. You start to see how they make you more sluggish after you eat.

Good luck!!!

stgislander

PREMO Member
It has always worked for me. I used to do Atkins every year for the month of March. I found that I had to really, really meal plan to make sure I didn't cheat or fall off the wagon at home.

On Atkins you could eat Sweet Potatoes. I made mashed sweet potatoes a lot to go with pork roast.

Now, they have so many Cauliflower options at the store that it makes it a little bit easier.

You do actually feel better without the carbs. You start to see how they make you more sluggish after you eat.

Good luck!!!
I think meal planning will be the biggest challenge for my wife.

PeoplesElbow

People will bitch and cry about spending $4 for a dozen eggs, then turn around and blithely spend $6 on a bag of Cheetos. I don't make human nature, I just observe it.
Its more palpable if they raise them by a quarter each month, people don't notice it.

I buy quite a few eggs and it seemed like they went from $3/doz to $5/doz over night. Then again I don't buy Cheetos very often and can do without, doing without eggs would be a lot harder.

gemma_rae

I never felt better than when I ate low carb. The only bad part was you crap rocks if you don't do something about that.
Hey @stgislander , heed this advice. I stopped drinking beer for 7 weeks back in 2009 and I never thought I was going to pass anything again.

Get some Colace to soften up them rocks. You'll thank me later.

SamSpade

(shrug) I just started Nutrisystem. Oddly enough, I presumed that a straight out, organized approach with strict parameters would make it simpler to follow. You know, eat this, that, each hour of the day. I don't always know how to follow a plan which offers dozens and dozens of "options" for every single meal.

I've learned it's just as open-ended on most plans as many others. Most plans require you to include your own purchase of vegetables, fruits, nuts and so forth. I realize it is - sensible - if the plan is to "teach" you to gravitate towards a healthier lifestyle - but lack of rigidity in my meals is precisely how I got where I am.

I also realize now that I've spent most of my life greatly dehydrated - I really do not enjoy drinking anywhere NEAR as much fluid as they all require.

SamSpade

But I'd like to keep my wife around as long as possible.
If not for three things - I'd probably just do whatever I want. But -

1. I became a parent late in life - neglecting my health means they will miss out and I could make life much worse for them.
2. I'm now old enough that if I don't eat right - the effects are more evident and of course -
3. I am now old enough that the end of my life will come much sooner unless I take care now.