Help... I'm starting Keto

SamSpade

People will bitch and cry about spending $4 for a dozen eggs, then turn around and blithely spend $6 on a bag of Cheetos. I don't make human nature, I just observe it.
I get that. But if liver were cheaper than steak, would you choose the steak, or the liver?
If fresh vegetables were cheaper than steak - would you eschew steak? Some purchase have nothing to do with nutrition.

The thing for us is - yeah, we did and do use eggs - and eat Cheetos. But we eat and use eggs every day. There's no chance I could eat Cheetos every single day - even if I wanted to. It's like when George Will sniffed at complaining in the rise in gas prices, saying that milk was far more expensive per gallon and no one bitches about that - and I screamed at the TV "yeah, you're an idiot elite who takes cabs - tell me that the next time you buy 20 gallons of milk every week".

You're not wrong - people do waste tons of grocery money on junk. I spend a small portion each month on treats for the dog; on snacks for my kids; foods that only I or my wife will eat - and my wife has a serious addiction to Dunkin' Donuts coffee. But the budget DOES hinge on many things staying stable, because we buy them all the time.

phreddyp

If not for three things - I'd probably just do whatever I want. But -

1. I became a parent late in life - neglecting my health means they will miss out and I could make life much worse for them.
2. I'm now old enough that if I don't eat right - the effects are more evident and of course -
3. I am now old enough that the end of my life will come much sooner unless I take care now.
Your life is gonna end at the time you are destined to go, the ONLY reason to diet is to maybe look a little better in the box, if you are THAT vain!

LJ1999

I think meal planning will be the biggest challenge for my wife.
It was hard for me because my husband didn't want to do it. He is a true blue meat and potato kind of guy. For dinners I just made sure I had a meat and 2 veggies, while I had to make some form of carb for him.

There are really good breakfast options, with scrambled eggs loaded with different veggies. Or baked eggs with Canadian Bacon.

I found eating at restaurants to be fairly easy as well. A burger or sandwich and just dump the bread.

Ate a LOT of salads loaded with meat.

If you like Chicken Wings, this is a great excuse to indulge!

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Your life is gonna end at the time you are destined to go, the ONLY reason to diet is to maybe look a little better in the box, if you are THAT vain!
I disagree with this only because carrying extra weight effects other aspects of your life. I'd like to make the most of the years I have left and being overweight would have a large impact on my ability to do so. I'm not my ideal weight, but I'm close enough that my clothes fit comfortably and my bad knees aren't as bad as they were when I was even 30lbs overweight. That's just my opinion and I'm not trying to change minds. Do what makes YOU happy and **** what others say or think.

phreddyp

That's absurd. My car breaks down quickly if I abuse it - but with care, it can last a very long time. It has no destined expiration date.
You are not a machine, maybe a bot but NOT a machine. People all over the world who believe in a higher power believe in destiny or they don't believe at all!

Bobwhite

I was on the Atkins diet probably 40 years ago. It does work. One thing you need to know is that ketosis gives you bad breath. Also, one way to alleviate the passing of rocks is to eat prunes. Prune juice works too. If you are really blocked up you might want to start with five or six prunes for a couple of days and then reduce that to two a day. But include them in your diet every day.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I was on the Atkins diet probably 40 years ago. It does work. One thing you need to know is that ketosis gives you bad breath. Also, one way to alleviate the passing of rocks is to eat prunes. Prune juice works too. If you are really blocked up you might want to start with five or six prunes for a couple of days and then reduce that to two a day. But include them in your diet every day.
No worries. I can eat prunes like candy.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I find I don't sleep well without carbs at dinner. Sometimes I'll grab a handful of goldfish crackers right before bed, just in case.

SamSpade

People all over the world who believe in a higher power believe in destiny or they don't believe at all!
I also believe in a higher power. I also do not believe in destiny. Nothing whatsoever convinces me that anything is destined.

DogWhisperer

There are a lot of products labeled Keto at the store. Count the carbs. I think you can only have 22g per day. Get frozen veggies and enjoy burgers on a lettuce wrap, chicken, lots of bacon, steak, eggs, and fish. I used to order burgers without catsup and throw away the bun, used it as a tool to hold the burger as I ate away. You can't eat as much as you want.

Try to vary your diet or it'll get boring and you'll start looking for the oreos.

Clem72

Its more palpable if they raise them by a quarter each month, people don't notice it.

I buy quite a few eggs and it seemed like they went from $3/doz to $5/doz over night. Then again I don't buy Cheetos very often and can do without, doing without eggs would be a lot harder.
Amazon seems to drop the price of one or two varieties of the 40 pack every month (probably trying to trick people into leaving them in subscribe and save).

Right now the Cheetos Puffs 40 pack is $15.18 ($12.99 with subscribe and save). I get the spicy variety pack every couple of months for around 9-10 after subscribe and save.

PeoplesElbow

Amazon seems to drop the price of one or two varieties of the 40 pack every month (probably trying to trick people into leaving them in subscribe and save).

Right now the Cheetos Puffs 40 pack is $15.18 ($12.99 with subscribe and save). I get the spicy variety pack every couple of months for around 9-10 after subscribe and save.
Not that into Cheetos I was thinking a bag jalapeno like once every 6 months