How a real President deals with a foreign invasion

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The problem is that previous administrations were busy meddling in other countries' affairs instead of protecting our own country like they're supposed to.

And this one is not?

Donald Trump is not the one screaming that he needs to go to war with Saudi Arabia over a dead reporter.

Donald Trump is not the one holding up border wall funding.

I'm not even sure why you'd say something like that.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Then why can't the NG arrest or detain any illegals?

One explanation I saw was that NG personnel are, for the most part, not trained for that sort of "police" activity. But that holds true for the other service branches too, of course. So they were supposed to provide enhanced surveillance assets or otherwise relieve properly trained border patrol people from other support activities so they could be actively on the border. Dunno how well that worked in practice...

About the only difference I see in this latest situation is that Trump does not need the cooperation of state governors to deploy military units on the border. But I don't see any other differences from the NG deployment.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Then why can't the NG arrest or detain any illegals?

I believe the NG has the authority to detain illegals at the border as long as they've been federalized. Unfortunately it's never been adjudicated.

If Posse is such a big concern then all the authorities have to do is embed CBP agents in with the Federal or NG troops. The CPB agents perform the actual LE portion of the mission to keep it legal. That has already been adjudicated.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Donald Trump is not the one screaming that he needs to go to war with Saudi Arabia over a dead reporter.

He's also one that has repeatedly stated he wants to pull military out of all these ####holes others have sent them and bring them home.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
He's also one that has repeatedly stated he wants to pull military out of all these ####holes others have sent them and bring them home.

And Democrats are the ones screaming about how we'll all DIE!!! if he brings our troops home.

So who are the warmongers again?

Chris0nllyn

Who is calling for war? I know folks are calling to hault weapons sales, but no one is suggesting going to war with SA. If you want to prove a point, try being afactually correct and not hyperbolic.

Border wall funding is a major, major expenditure. With federal deficits the way they are, you think we should spend billions to build a wall? That doesn't seem smart. Especially considering the state of the infrastructure in this country.

I say it because we, the USA (including this administration), are "meddling in other countries' affairs" (as you stated). Unless you have some evidence that Trump has pulled troops out of the same areas and same conflicts those other administrations you mentioned kept (or sent) them in, nothing has changed. We are still meddling and you also know that Trump has sent more troops to Germany. More to A-Stan. And signed off on increased Defense spending that increased troops by 26,000.

One explanation I saw was that NG personnel are, for the most part, not trained for that sort of "police" activity. But that holds true for the other service branches too, of course. So they were supposed to provide enhanced surveillance assets or otherwise relieve properly trained border patrol people from other support activities so they could be actively on the border. Dunno how well that worked in practice...

About the only difference I see in this latest situation is that Trump does not need the cooperation of state governors to deploy military units on the border. But I don't see any other differences from the NG deployment.

Trump has the support of enough governors to have a sizeable NG presense at the border. Trained or not, the NG (and military) cannot enforce immigration laws. That's why the NG has stayed away from the actual border, for the most part.

This is a real question:

Why does it matter if it's the military or the National Guard?

You appear to be making that a sticking point. Why?

I'm making a point because the NG is there, already. What is the military going to do that the NG can't? It matters for reasons already pointed out in this thread.

I believe the NG has the authority to detain illegals at the border as long as they've been federalized. Unfortunately it's never been adjudicated.

If Posse is such a big concern then all the authorities have to do is embed CBP agents in with the Federal or NG troops. The CPB agents perform the actual LE portion of the mission to keep it legal. That has already been adjudicated.

The NG is tasked with walking along side BP agents. The BP agents have the authority, NG does not. NG flys chopps and planes and use blimps to help BP. NG cannot arrest or detain anyone.

It's certainly an option (as it's what they're doing now and what both Bush and Obama have done), but I just don't want anyone believing troops will tackle an illegal immigrant, or shoot them, or whatever idea pops up. I think if Trump wants to tweet about "laws", he should understand them. Than again, maybe he does and his supporters think somethign else will happen.

It's a complicated issue trying to be solved by simple means. Won't happen.

Yes, I have. You've been paying attention, congratulations. What's your point?

stgislander

PREMO Member

Chris0nllyn

Without deep diving I'd don't see anything in the Wiki piece that that fits this particular scenario. But as I said before, I do not believe there is any law stopping a President from sending Federal troops to secure the National border.

Again, nothing says he cannot do so. He can send them any place. He just can't direct them to do anything beyond providing support to BP agents who are the only ones holding the authority to detain immigrants.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
My apologies.

It wasn't very clear when you said "he" when replying to a quote where Vrai was discussing with me.

Her quoted post referenced Trump twice and I stated he wanted to pull them back to the US. :rolleyes:

Hijinx

Border wall funding is a major, major expenditure. With federal deficits the way they are, you think we should spend billions to build a wall? That doesn't seem smart. Especially considering the state of the infrastructure in this country.

Have you ever gone around the beltway? How about Rt 210.
Ever see the walls?
They aren't free.
What do they do?
They were built to give the neighbors living close to the highway some quiet.
They might also keep a few deer off the highway. But what is more important, the neighbors quiet or stopping an invasion?

Build the wall.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Again, nothing says he cannot do so. He can send them any place. He just can't direct them to do anything beyond providing support to BP agents who are the only ones holding the authority to detain immigrants.

We will have to agree to disagree. :buddies:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Ever see the walls?
They aren't free.
What do they do?
They might also keep a few deer off the highway. But what is more important, the neighbors quiet or stopping an invasion?

Build the wall.

I always thought they were trying to keep the D.C. critters penned in and left too many holes in the wall.

Chris0nllyn

Her quoted post referenced Trump twice and I stated he wanted to pull them back to the US. :rolleyes:

I said the same thing. Coupled with the vague "he", there was confusion.

Ever see the walls?
They aren't free.
What do they do?

Build the wall.

You seriously are not comparing a multi billion border wall to sound walls aruond the beltway, are you/

We will have to agree to disagree. :buddies:

Fair enough.