How does Furlough = 20% pay cut

nomoney

Ok, so isn't the furlough a 10% pay cut on the year not 20%? Didn't everyone know it was coming? Wouldn't the smart move to have been to adjust your budget accordingly at the beginning of the year so it wouldn't have been such a big hit?

I really don't have any sympathy for the government workers. They are just now starting to get a taste of what everyone else has had to deal with for the last several years.

The people complaining about the furlough could have cared less about the police, firefights, teachers, exc who have not had a raise or COLA increase over the last 4 or 5 years. Why do you expect the people you showed no sympathy towards to all of the sudden care about your situation?

you realize they haven't had a rasie in as long either right? Government workers are not just the big wigs you're thinking of. They are the worker bees, janitors, etc as well. We did plan, but bringing in 900+ less a month is not easy to just simply "adjust" your budget. Would you be able to knock out 900+$ a month?

And where the hell are we asking for you to care about our situation? Or are they out picketing or crying? Did I miss a rally?

Last edited:

SoMDGirl42

No you don't get it. 20% pay decrease for 11 weeks = 8% reduction. Here's the math.

Salaries are based an an anual level not 11 weeks.
260 work days in the year
22 days missed pay due to furlough
this equals 8%

I'll even give you an extra 2% for vacation time not accrued and your still sitting at 10% not 20.

No I GET IT. I specifically said a 20% reduction in pay for 11 weeks, not a year.

Given the option, I wonder how many would have taken you 8% reduction spread out over a year.

For those living pay check to pay check 20% reduction is enough to cause severe impacts to them.

I'm a single mother. 20% of my money is a HUGE cut. Single family homes are hit hard mother trucker, so keep running your mouth.

MarieB

Why do you talk like Feds live in a bubble unaware of what "everyone else" has been going through? I'm a Fed but my husband and his whole family are in commercial construction. You think I haven't felt what everyone else has been going through? :rolleyes:

Federal jobs are taxpayer funded positions though, so I think there is some difference.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Ok, so isn't the furlough a 10% pay cut on the year not 20%? Didn't everyone know it was coming? Wouldn't the smart move to have been to adjust your budget accordingly at the beginning of the year so it wouldn't have been such a big hit?

I really don't have any sympathy for the government workers. They are just now starting to get a taste of what everyone else has had to deal with for the last several years.

The people complaining about the furlough could have cared less about the police, firefights, teachers, exc who have not had a raise or COLA increase over the last 4 or 5 years. Why do you expect the people you showed no sympathy towards to all of the sudden care about your situation?

Didn't the President say it would never happen? How should one plan for a thing that the President proclaimed wouldn't happen?

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
I'd rather be furloughed then to have to work with someone as dumb as you every day.

16 (furlough) hours a payday out of 80 regular hours of a normal pay day.

Do you not realize that there are more than 11 weeks in the year? What is so hard to understand about that?

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
Didn't the President say it would never happen? How should one plan for a thing that the President proclaimed wouldn't happen?

I don't really pay attention to what the president says but I saw the furlough coming a mile away. There is no excuse if the furlough caught someone by surprise.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Do you not realize that there are more than 11 weeks in the year? What is so hard to understand about that?
If the furlough had been started at the beginning of the fiscal year (or calendar year for that matter) it could have been distributed in a manner not to hurt as bad. But all the BSing between the Executive and Congress resulted in a delayed implementation whereby the needed reductions were compressed into a very small window thus the impact is greater upon those being squeezed.

All foreign aid should have been stopped first, then entitlements could have been reduced or unneeded projects/programs could have been eliminated before taking it out on the employees.

Ken King

PREMO Member
I don't really pay attention to what the president says but I saw the furlough coming a mile away. There is no excuse if the furlough caught someone by surprise.

Same for about 52% of the population, no wonder things are so effed-up.

nomoney

Again I ask. Could you be alright with 900$ less a month? How would you budget?