How does Furlough = 20% pay cut

PsyOps

Pixelated
I don't really pay attention to what the president says but I saw the furlough coming a mile away. There is no excuse if the furlough caught someone by surprise.

It's pretty astounding that you see it this way. Folks should be outraged about the reason for the furlough. When there are tons of other ways to cut federal budgets, they chose to cut the one thing that will have both personal and economic impact – peoples’ income. This government isn’t about the people, it’s about inflicting as much damage to the people as they can to create an environment of dependence on the government. There is no excuse for this.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
Again I ask. Could you be alright with 900$ less a month? How would you budget?

Its called a saving account. I have it set up for situations exactly like this. The main effect the furlough will have on my budget will be a reduction in the amount of money that I put into savings every month.

Same for about 52% of the population, no wonder things are so effed-up.

Trust me, I didn't vote for that clown. I just don't believe anything he says so his words mean very little to me.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Why do you talk like Feds live in a bubble unaware of what "everyone else" has been going through? I'm a Fed but my husband and his whole family are in commercial construction. You think I haven't felt what everyone else has been going through? :rolleyes:

Well, I don't speak for anyone other than myself but I will say I’m hurt and somewhat jealous. :drama:

When I got 29 days of furloughs, no raise for 6 years, my health insurance increased, my match taken away, required to pay more into my retirement fund year after year... all while managing 2 offices with my main office suffering a severe staff shortage loss of 4 people for 2 years... we didn't hear catchy songs or see cute t-shirts made up for us. Nope… not one…. AND we were prohibited from calling them 'furlough days' because our fine governor said they were 'reduced salary days,' and we better not reference furlough or reduced salary in our outlook out message either.

I got furloughed for 3 straight years and I didn't even get a t-shirt. :tantrum:

luvmygdaughters

I don't get it. Why does everyone keep calling the furlough a 20% pay cut. Isn't the furlough just every other Friday off? Isn't the furlough only for 6 months?

every other Friday off = 10% of your pay not 20.
if the furlough is only for 6 months it is only 10% of you pay for half the year which equals a 5% reduction on the year.

All of this furlough talk sounds like a bunch of people making a big deal about nothing.

I dont get it. Why are you so worried about the furlough and who its affecting since its obvious you are not being affected by it. If you really want to be upset with someone or somebody, how about the ones who are receiving benefits without working a day in their life. If the government wanted to cut spending, why in the hell would they cut people who are working and not the welfare entitled population? I dont care if its 2% or 20%, its difficult to adjust your budget to allow for this. My daughter, who is single and only has to worry about herself, is a federal employee. She said she could make it, but, what about the single parent with kids or the families with 2 or 3 kids. Not to mention that Owe Malley is constantly raising taxes in the state of Malleyland. Gas tax increase, rain tax, etc. Whats a shame is these people will not be entitiled to welfare benefits because they will still make to much to qualify, however, the lazy ass spitting out a kid every year by a different baby daddy will still be entitled to their welfare. Its a screwed up mess that Obamy hasn't the slightest idea how to get out off. But in all fairness, I wouldnt want him to take his mind of the Zimmerman verdict and getting justice for Trayvon.:coffee:

bcp

In My Opinion
Why do you talk like Feds live in a bubble unaware of what "everyone else" has been going through? I'm a Fed but my husband and his whole family are in commercial construction. You think I haven't felt what everyone else has been going through? :rolleyes:

Where Im at we have had furloughs every year for the last 3, we have not had a raise in that same time.
Im still finding it hard to feel for those in the federal government that are getting the time off now.

Last year, the union that covers certain employee levels (Im not one of them) refused to agree to the furloughs again. The way it worked out was that the non-union employees were given the furlough again, but the union employees were not. However, due to them not going with the furlough, there ended up being a RIF for the union side. I think the furlough would have been a better solution to the problem.

We might see a 3% increase this year... might.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
I cant recall seeing anything about teachers or police pay freezes around here....

Teachers and all school system employees have had pay freezes. Not only have they had pay freezes. They have have had their health care and retirement costs increase. As well as new taxes applied to them. While their benefits have stayed the same. This is effectively a reduction in pay.

Trust me government workers have it easy with the 11 week furlough compared to most of the other county workers.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
I dont get it. Why are you so worried about the furlough and who its affecting since its obvious you are not being affected by it. If you really want to be upset with someone or somebody, how about the ones who are receiving benefits without working a day in their life.

I'm all for cutting entitlement programs such as welfare, section 8, foreign aid, exc. If I was in charge the first thing I would cut would be free money. I'm not in charge and voted against everyone democrat in office so this is irrelevant.

bcp

In My Opinion
Government employees haven't had a COLA in 3-4 years either, firefighters here are volunteers, I cant recall seeing anything about teachers or police pay freezes around here....

I have on many posts questioned how teachers, fire fighters police etc.. can have their pay cut, or be layed off or even their pay frozen while their costs go up, and yet, not once has a single welfare family been asked to reduce their standard of living.
so, to say it one more time.
Not one worker in the state should suffer any reductions in pay until the welfare crowd is subjected to the layoffs, and reductions.

bilbur

Teachers and all school system employees have had pay freezes. Not only have they had pay freezes. They have have had their health care and retirement costs increase. As well as new taxes applied to them. While their benefits have stayed the same. This is effectively a reduction in pay.

Trust me government workers have it easy with the 11 week furlough compared to most of the other county workers.

Why do you think that government/contractors have not had the same hardship? Like I said earlier I have not had a raise in 4 years and with the increase in taxes my pay has gone down 2% and property tax increase brings it down even further. Add in the increase to the cost of benefits and my pay has probably decreased 4% over the last 4 years. This is the same across the board in my company. With the cost of everything rising it is hard to save any money. If you think these furloughs will just affect the federal employees and contractors you are sorely mistaken. With people losing 20% of their pay they won't be eating out, buying new cloths, buying any luxury items, etc... Many businesses will also feel the heat and some will probably not survive the 11 weeks or more it will take the majority of SOMD residents to recover from this.

MarieB

Its called a saving account. I have it set up for situations exactly like this. The main effect the furlough will have on my budget will be a reduction in the amount of money that I put into savings every month.

Not everyone is in the same position. For some, it's lifestyle crunch, for some it's a nice extra day off during the summer, and for others it's a matter of whether or not they can cover the necessities of living. I know people in all three categories. It will also trickle down in the local economy, so there is also a bigger picture.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
Where Im at we have had furloughs every year for the last 3, we have not had a raise in that same time.
Im still finding it hard to feel for those in the federal government that are getting the time off now.

Last year, the union that covers certain employee levels (Im not one of them) refused to agree to the furloughs again. The way it worked out was that the non-union employees were given the furlough again, but the union employees were not. However, due to them not going with the furlough, there ended up being a RIF for the union side. I think the furlough would have been a better solution to the problem.

We might see a 3% increase this year... might.

Agreed, we employee many union workers. Layoffs suck for everyone involved.

Our finances are tied to a family business. To keep things going and to save other employee's jobs we haven't seen a salary increase, bonus or tax refund in over three years. Just because I'm Federally employed doesn't mean that I have been protected from the crappy economy until now.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Not everyone is in the same position. For some, it's lifestyle crunch, for some it's a nice extra day off during the summer, and for others it's a matter of whether or not they can cover the necessities of living. I know people in all three categories. It will also trickle down in the local economy, so there is also a bigger picture.

It already has trickled down into the local economy. I have felt it and I have spoken to other small business owners that have been feeling it for a few months as well.

philibusters

Maybe it is that way for some but for most of the people I know it is every Friday off and only 8 hour work days for the other 4 days.

Its 11 straight Fridays for me and most other DOD employeees . For one pay period its a 10% pay decrease and for for five pay periods its a 20% pay decrease. You are correct its only temporary---there will be 20 pay periods this year with a zero percent cut. If you average it out over the course of the year its a 4.25% pay decrease, but the way its distributed its a 20% decrease for a two and a half month stretch.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
Why do you think that government/contractors have not had the same hardship? Like I said earlier I have not had a raise in 4 years and with the increase in taxes my pay has gone down 2% and property tax increase brings it down even further. Add in the increase to the cost of benefits and my pay has probably decreased 4% over the last 4 years. This is the same across the board in my company. With the cost of everything rising it is hard to save any money. If you think these furloughs will just affect the federal employees and contractors you are sorely mistaken. With people losing 20% of their pay they won't be eating out, buying new cloths, buying any luxury items, etc... Many businesses will also feel the heat and some will probably not survive the 11 weeks or more it will take the majority of SOMD residents to recover from this.

Do you realize that teachers had furlough days last year? As well as a new law that O'mally just passed that requires them to pay union dues regardless if they are in the union or not.

Like I said before the federal government workers do not have it as bad as county workers or those in thee private sector.