How stupid!!!

Cowgirl

Yes your allowed to state your opinion......I guess that I'm old school and things were alot different when I came up....:lmao: We didn't have fancy helmets that we could afford or wear....we survivied it.....:coffee:

Well, lots of people ride with no helmets. But, you only have 1 head, and it only takes 1 wrong fall to drastically change (or end) your life. As cheap as helmets are now, I don't think parents have any excuse to not put one on their child.....especially when that child is so young. There's nothing wrong with children riding horses...but I think it should be done safely.

mingiz

Horse Poor
Does it look like she has control over that horse? Look how far her feet reach....and look how she's holding the reins!

Looks to me that her feet are in her stirrups and that she is possibly barrell racing in a Little Britches Rodeo.....:lmao: The horse looks like he knows his job also......:whistle:

fredsaid2

Yes your allowed to state your opinion......I guess that I'm old school and things were alot different when I came up....:lmao: We didn't have fancy helmets that we could afford or wear....we survivied it.....:coffee:

Same here but times change. Sometimes change is good! : )

Cowgirl

Looks to me that her feet are in her stirrups and that she is possibly barrell racing in a Little Britches Rodeo.....:lmao: The horse looks like he knows his job also......:whistle:

So her feet are in the stirrups....ok. You know how hard those barrell horses can be to stop.

But can anyone give a good reason as to why NOT to wear a helmet? :confused:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
It's hard to believe that us old farm folk lived at all since we didn't have helmets on when we rode our horses, we hearded cattle without prods and we even hunted without getting shot. :coffee:

:yeahthat: I was riding without a helmet or a saddle before I reached 5 years. Shoot, I sometimes rode barefoot too.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
because her mom said so.

:yeahthat: Honestly, that's true. If my father grew up a certain way and he passed on his values and ethics on to me in the same way that he received his, and I grew up to be a productive member of society, who are you to judge whether he raised me right or wrong? What? Are you saying he was a bad dad cause he threw me on the back of a horse without protection? As a farm kid I had to have NO FEAR of any animal and I had to learn to be the boss at ALL times, with or without a helmet, shoes, etc. There was plenty of times as a kid I assisted him in shoeing the horses as well. Neither one of us wore helmets then either. BTW, on a side note, I doubt my father could have afforded to buy me a helmet even if he had wanted to. I also went out and put food and salt licks down for cows - they'll crush you if you let them. I never wore a helmet and again half the time I was shoeless. I worked in the garden a lot - and there were lots of snakes and other "wild" creatures, and I survived there too.

I guess it's Darwinism at its finest, if you can't survive I doubt a helmet isn't going to be much use to you.

TMCash

:yeahthat: Honestly, that's true. If my father grew up a certain way and he passed on his values and ethics on to me in the same way that he received his, and I grew up to be a productive member of society, who are you to judge whether he raised me right or wrong? What? Are you saying he was a bad dad cause he threw me on the back of a horse without protection? As a farm kid I had to have NO FEAR of any animal and I had to learn to be the boss at ALL times, with or without a helmet, shoes, etc. There was plenty of times as a kid I assisted him in shoeing the horses as well. Neither one of us wore helmets then either. BTW, on a side note, I doubt my father could have afforded to buy me a helmet even if he had wanted to. I also went out and put food and salt licks down for cows - they'll crush you if you let them. I never wore a helmet and again half the time I was shoeless. I worked in the garden a lot - and there were lots of snakes and other "wild" creatures, and I survived there too.

I guess it's Darwinism at its finest, if you can't survive I doubt a helmet isn't going to be much use to you.

:yeahthat:I totally agree with this. Cowgirl...Do you make your kids wear a helmet when they ride in the car?? Its just as dangerous whether your a good driver or not, with all the the other people out there that are horrible at it.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Also, check the stats NECK injuries are not preventable by wearing a helmet.

In the late 80s a study was done on the almost 93,000 horse related injuries -
"Of the injured persons, 9.9% required hospitalization. More than two thirds of hospitalized persons had head and neck (42.2%) or trunk injuries (25.2%). The most common diagnoses for these patients were fractures or dislocations (55.1%) and concussions (17.2%)."

Last edited:

Cowgirl

:yeahthat: Honestly, that's true. If my father grew up a certain way and he passed on his values and ethics on to me in the same way that he received his, and I grew up to be a productive member of society, who are you to judge whether he raised me right or wrong? What? Are you saying he was a bad dad cause he threw me on the back of a horse without protection?

I wonder why parents would take certain risks, especially today when helmets are so inexpensive.

As a farm kid I had to have NO FEAR of any animal

:shrug: Same here, but I understood that they were much larger than me, and I didn't do (well, tried not to do) stupid or careless things around them.

I also went out and put food and salt licks down for cows - they'll crush you if you let them.

:rolleyes: Hello? I've been around animals my entire life. I know how dangerous they can be. This isn't about cows, this is about children riding horses without helmets.

I worked in the garden a lot the garden a lot - and there were lots of snakes and other "wild" creatures, and I survived there too.

Wow! Me, too! :high5:

That's pathetic. You're also forgetting that it's not just about the child's skill. The child is on an animal that has a brain and can make its own decisions. What if that horse spooks? What if that horse doesn't want to stop? What if that horse is having fun and bucks? It's parents' jobs to protect their children. I am all for kids being around animals, riding, etc, but I think it's a parent's job to make sure they're safe. I'm glad y'all all survived, but saying it's Darwinism is a piss-poor argument. Tell that to the parent who's 5 year old child has severe head trauma because he fell off a horse.

Actually, maybe you're right. Let the stupid parents put their children on horses without helmets. If that kid dies, then that's just one fewer stupid person on this earth! :sarcasm:

Cowgirl

:yeahthat:I totally agree with this. Cowgirl...Do you make your kids wear a helmet when they ride in the car?? Its just as dangerous whether your a good driver or not, with all the the other people out there that are horrible at it.

I make them wear seatbelts. Oh, let me guess? You grew up and didn't wear seatbelts and you're just fine. :rolleyes:

Cowgirl

Also, check the stats NECK injuries are not preventable by wearing a helmet and which is more life threatening?

True, neck injuries aren't prevented by helmets, but is that a reason not to wear them? I don't know...what's more life threatening? It really depends on the fall. People can be paralized but still be healthy otherwise. There are also people who have terrible brain injuries but no spinal damage.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
True, neck injuries aren't prevented by helmets, but is that a reason not to wear them? I don't know...what's more life threatening? It really depends on the fall. People can be paralized but still be healthy otherwise. There are also people who have terrible brain injuries but no spinal damage.

Right and who wouldn't rather live life as a quadraplegic vegetable who wore a helmet?

I'm not arguing that people should wear helmets. You know me, many people here have ridden with me. Rarely do I ride without a helmet.

Cowgirl

Right and who wouldn't rather live life as a quadraplegic vegetable who wore a helmet?

I'm not arguing that people should wear helmets. You know me, many people here have ridden with me. Rarely do I ride without a helmet.

:confused: So what are you arguing?

TMCash

I make them wear seatbelts. Oh, let me guess? You grew up and didn't wear seatbelts and you're just fine. :rolleyes:

Nope, I wear my seatbelt. But just because you dont make your kids wear helmets in the car we are going to post pictures and say "oh look how stupid she is, what is this parent thinking?" Its the same thing. Anything can happen anywhere and one parent and one little girl shouldnt be singled out because she isnt wearing a helmet.