How stupid!!!

Cowgirl

Nope, I wear my seatbelt. But just because you dont make your kids wear helmets in the car we are going to post pictures and say "oh look how stupid she is, what is this parent thinking?" Its the same thing. Anything can happen anywhere and one parent and one little girl shouldnt be singled out because she isnt wearing a helmet.

If it becomes standard practice to wear helmets in the car, then you come back and ask me. :lmao:

Cowgirl

Awe, c'mere you :huggy:

Kids do some dumb stuff and there's not much you can do to stop it because eventually, they'll be out of your view.

I've been thrown off a horse plenty of times and I've yet to land on anything but my butt :lmao:

:love: They say the heaviest part lands first. :wink:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
:confused: So what are you arguing?

I was being sarcastic. I'd rather be dead than a drooling vegetable or quadraplegic.

I'm arguing that whether someone else's kid wears a helmet is not up to you. I don't think kids should walk around barefoot in cow manure. Sounds like you did that? Think of all the diseases you could get from that. Or the broken bones from a 1600 pd cow/steer stepping on you. {People make their own choices and unless it PERSONALLY effects you I think your reaction is way overboard. This is a discussion forum. People are discussing, but you're taking it personally.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
That's pathetic. You're also forgetting that it's not just about the child's skill. The child is on an animal that has a brain and can make its own decisions. What if that horse spooks? What if that horse doesn't want to stop? What if that horse is having fun and bucks? It's parents' jobs to protect their children. I am all for kids being around animals, riding, etc, but I think it's a parent's job to make sure they're safe. I'm glad y'all all survived, but saying it's Darwinism is a piss-poor argument. Tell that to the parent who's 5 year old child has severe head trauma because he fell off a horse.

Actually, maybe you're right. Let the stupid parents put their children on horses without helmets. If that kid dies, then that's just one fewer stupid person on this earth! :sarcasm:

No, the point is there are tons of dangerous things out there. Do you make a kid wear protection through all of it? Did you wera padded gear and a helmet when out with the cows? Did you wear padded gear and protection and carry an anti venom kit when out in the garden? What you decide is best for your child isn't necessarily what someone else decides is best for their child. Short of locking your kid in padded room, feeding them a liquid diet and wrapping them in bubble wrap, there is no truly safe way to live everyday life.

Don't take your kid fishing - they might fall in the water, etc.

You know the ONE time I got hurt by a horse I wasn't even on her. She was trying to kill the colt she'd just given birth to, and she attacked me in the process. My injuries sustained wouldn't have been prevented by me wearing a helmet. :shrug:

Again, the point is, decide what you want for your kids and let others decide what's best for theirs. IMHO if you raise a mamby pamby sissy momma's boy/girl, then you can never expect himher to be a man/woman. You can never expect him/her to make decisions on his/her own and never expect him/her to understand the consequences of his actions. He/she will live in fear the remainder of his/her life, and will never try be brave enough to try anything new.

Cowgirl

I was being sarcastic. I'd rather be dead than a drooling vegetable or quadraplegic.

I'm arguing that whether someone else's kid wears a helmet is not up to you.

I never said parents should HAVE to put helmets on their kids. I was just expressing my opinion that I don't think it's smart to not put helmets on kids. :shrug:

I don't think kids should walk around barefoot in cow manure. Sounds like you did that? Think of all the diseases you could get from that.

Um, no. :lol: I know about what can happen. But we did use to pelt each other with horse turds. :cheers:

Or the broken bones from a 1600 pd cow/steer stepping on you. {People make their own choices and unless it PERSONALLY effects you I think your reaction is way overboard. This is a discussion forum. People are discussing, but you're taking it personally.

I'm really not taking it personally. :lol: I'm just discussing. :shrug: It IS a discussion forum. That's why I gave my opinion with the picture. If we all agreed on everything, this would be an even more boring place than it is now. :roflmao:

Cowgirl

No, the point is there are tons of dangerous things out there. Do you make a kid wear protection through all of it? Did you wera padded gear and a helmet when out with the cows? Did you wear padded gear and protection and carry an anti venom kit when out in the garden? What you decide is best for your child isn't necessarily what someone else decides is best for their child. Short of locking your kid in padded room, feeding them a liquid diet and wrapping them in bubble wrap, there is no truly safe way to live everyday life.

Don't take your kid fishing - they might fall in the water, etc.

Mig, I never at any point said not to let your kids do anything fun. I simply think that teaching them to be safe is the way to go. :shrug: I've been injured multiple times by large animals, but that's part of being around them. I still don't do careless things around them. If I did, I'd have been injured much more frequently, or I'd have been injured much more seriously.

You know the ONE time I got hurt by a horse I wasn't even on her. She was trying to kill the colt she'd just given birth to, and she attacked me in the process. My injuries sustained wouldn't have been prevented by me wearing a helmet. :shrug:

Again, my issue is with children on the backs of horses.

Again, the point is, decide what you want for your kids and let others decide what's best for theirs. IMHO if you raise a mamby pamby sissy momma's boy/girl, then you can never expect himher to be a man/woman. You can never expect him/her to make decisions on his/her own and never expect him/her to understand the consequences of his actions. He/she will live in fear the remainder of his/her life, and will never try be brave enough to try anything new.

You know what? I'm sick of the argument that if you protect your child you're raising a mamby pamby sissy. :rolleyes: Teaching children to be safe when having fun is not teaching them to be a sissy or to be afraid of everything. My mom taught me to be safe, and obviously I'm not afraid of horses, cattle, etc.

rack'm

Jaded
You know what? I'm sick of the argument that if you protect your child you're raising a mamby pamby sissy. :rolleyes: Teaching children to be safe when having fun is not teaching them to be a sissy or to be afraid of everything. My mom taught me to be safe, and obviously I'm not afraid of horses, cattle, etc.

I'm just curious and not attacking or judging or anything, but......Did you grow up in the city or on a farm??

ElliesMom

uuummmm yeah, kid *should* have on a helmet.

Little kid, on a grown up horse, doing grown up stuff -- really should have a helmet on.

Should her parents choose not to well they know it would be thier fault (good thing about MOST horsey people -- get hurt b/c of your own stupidity, then no one else is to blame.) choices are made, for better or worse.

devinej

well maybe its about natural selection. only the strong/smart ones survive a wreckless (helmetless) childhood.

but think about it - that little girl's parents are much more likely to get some grandkids out of the deal if the kid wears a helmet and rides a stationary shetland than a galloping thoroughbred, especially at the tender age of 3 or 4 or however old she is in this pic.

In some cultures/communities a child is viewed not only as the charge of the parents, but also is taken care of by the rest of the community. perhaps that's what cowgirl is trying to do.

Cowgirl

In some cultures/communities a child is viewed not only as the charge of the parents, but also is taken care of by the rest of the community. perhaps that's what cowgirl is trying to do.

No, I'm definitely not trying to take care of or raise OPC. I was just expressing my opinion of the scenario.

barncat

Who in their right mind would let their child get on a horse and do this?!!!!! And no helmet...because "nothing bad will EVER happen to MY child!" :doh:

(From FHOTD)

She looks like she's having fun. When I was 10 we rode hell bent on the trails and near roads in Alaska without helmets. I didn't start riding with a helmet all the time until I was 23. Will I let my daughter do that, no, but to each their own.