I'm wondering...

Mikeinsmd

Homesick said:
wow. Thanks for typing this, Mike.
It made me see how far I've come...and stranger still, I had forgot. To strange, I need a cookie. Night all. Good luck, Mike, and I truly mean it.
Ok, you've run out of responses to my posts. Many others do this too. Like I said; "Because God said so", "I feel sorry for you", "I'll pray for you". "Good luck Mike, you're going to need it".

Sorry, but you're really not making a very convincing debate here......

Last edited:

Mikeinsmd

Goofing_Off said:
But, again, any science is something you've been taught by someone else. You trust what someone else says, even though you yourself have not tangibly seen it. You have faith, yet you don't even realize it.
Atoms exist. That wasn't a King George, VA fire cracker that exploded over Hiroshima and Nagasaki yanno..... I've never seen you, are you real??? :lol: This in my opinion is a silly argument. The things I believe in that were taught to me by science are backed up by indisputable evidence and fact. I guess because I've never "been to" or "seen" Asia, no tsunami hit it. Hell, there's no such thing as a tsunami based on that theory!! :razz:

Mikeinsmd

gumbo said:
There is no such thing as indisputable proof that there is or is not. The proof lies within ones own knowledge of the subject.
Seek and they shall find. God will touch you if you believe and ask him too.
God will show you signs if you have faith and show you your indisputable proof. But only if you have faith and believe in him. This next part is the key.
However most will not humble themselves enough to truly open their hearts.
There are those who will not love unconditionally like that of a child and those who will not, will never know GOD! This is a matter of what you will or will not do, "free will". Brotherman this is not directed at you , it is figuratively speaking of the subject at hand.
I know it's not directed at me G. This is an interesting and friendly debate. I respect your beliefs and am sharing mine and why I believe what I do. Here are some reasons for my position:

Why would a being so great and powerful, so loving and caring, so wonderful say to a small fraction of the planet;

"Follow me, preach my teachings, worship me and if you do, when you die I will bring you to "my house" (heaven) the most glorius place you've ever seen. Now, I'm going to put you on this planet, I'm going to create pain, suffering, torture, sickness, some humans will never even hear of me, yet if you do not believe, you cannot get into heaven." Why would a being do this??

Why wouldn't he do this instead;

"Ok humans, I am God!!! I am great, powerful, loving and caring. I created the universe and I can take you out!! I'm going to put you on earth with wonderful living conditions, love, peace and friendship amongst all mankind. I will be visible in the sky to everyone!!! I will walk this planet with you. If you need something, just ask and you shall have it!! And guess what!! I saved the best part for last. You're going to enjoy this AWESOME life here for about 80 years at which time I am going to take you to an even better place....heaven!!!" All I ask for in return is that you worship me, pray to me and love me. Spread my word to your offspring and you will know euphoria!!

"Now humans there is a catch!! I have these 10 rules here. If any of you breaks them, you will go to one of two other places I created. Purgatory or hell!! I will decide based on the severity of your crime. You will experience the horrors and pain of fire for a duration that I will decide!! The choice is yours.

That's MY interpretation of a God. And remember, I'm not argueing that there is no God, only that I require proof.

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Mike, I spent the better part of my life searching, believing and having faith. I really believed there was a god. I still saw no miracles.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
God asks that we do not test him and that we do not demand of him. We cannot understand why he does the things he does. Some of it is beyond our understanding and He can see the "big picture" that we cannot see. He has had a plan since the beginning of time and we are but a blink in that plan, but necessary for the plan. You can't expect God to perform miracles just to make you believe. In reality, he is performing miracles all the time. Maybe some just don't know how to recognize them. I think babies are miracles.

Faith is believing without proof. Maybe I need a God, and that's why I'm so willing to believe without irrefutable proof. I have all the proof I need to have faith in the existence of God.

But each person has to decide for themselves. I think faith is a very personal thing. That's the greatest thing God gave us - FREE WILL. He wants us to love Him because we want to - not because He makes us love Him.

By the way, God didn't write the bible, the prophets and apostles did.

morganj614

I do not limit myself to one friend, one food, one beverage, one shirt...to infinity. Why would I limit myself to one thought, one religion?

Mikeinsmd

Tinkerbell said:
God asks that we do not test him and that we do not demand of him. Why???

Tinkerbell said:
Some of it is beyond our understanding and He can see the "big picture" that we cannot see. With all due respect, sounds like the blind leading the blind...

Tinkerbell said:
You can't expect God to perform miracles just to make you believe. Why???

Tinkerbell said:
He wants us to love Him because we want to - not because He makes us love Him. Then why will I go to hell if I don't believe??

Tinkerbell said:
By the way, God didn't write the bible, the prophets and apostles did. Who instructed them??
:flowers:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Ooh! I have a question.

If there is really a god, why didn't he reveal himself to me in the same way he revealed himself to all of you believers? I had the same faith, I prayed, I was saved. I did everything all of you did. There was no doubt at the time that there was a god. :shrug:

Goofing_Off

Mikeinsmd said:
Atoms exist. That wasn't a King George, VA fire cracker that exploded over Hiroshima and Nagasaki yanno..... I've never seen you, are you real??? :lol: This in my opinion is a silly argument. The things I believe in that were taught to me by science are backed up by indisputable evidence and fact. I guess because I've never "been to" or "seen" Asia, no tsunami hit it. Hell, there's no such thing as a tsunami based on that theory!! :razz:

Actually, this is not a silly point. It is very simple. I'm not saying that you can't prove that atoms are real, or that Julius Caesar is not real, or that brains aren't real, or that Asia isn't real, etc. These things can be seen (save for Caesar), but I'd be willing to bet that you have never personally seen them. Your criteria for believing in something, as stated by you, was that in order to believe in something, you had to tangibly experience it for yourself. My simple point was that most of what you believe in, even things of science, are things that you have not personally seen or touched yourself. Therefore, by your own argument, you should not believe in any of them. Yet, you do, because you believe the people that have taught them to you. Moreover, you seem to have absolute faith in them.

Furthermore, scientific theory is very rarely classified as "indisputable evidence and fact." It is based upon hypothesis and experimentation. Even some of Newton's Laws are being tested by current physics, and these were once thought of as "indisputable evidence and fact." Again, I'm not saying that our scientific knowledge is invalid because of that, because there is knowledge that has stood the test of time; however, you can't say that science is indisputable.

Last edited:

Mikeinsmd

Goofing_Off said:
Actually, this is not a silly point. It is very simple. I'm not saying that you can't prove that atoms are real, or that Julius Caesar is not real, or that brains aren't real, or that Asia isn't real, etc. These things can be seen (save for Caesar), but I'd be willing to bet that you have never personally seen them. Your criteria for believing in something, as stated by you, was that in order to believe in something, you had to tangibly experience it for yourself. My simple point was that most of what you believe in, even things of science, are things that you have not personally seen or touched yourself. Therefore, by your own argument, you should not believe in any of them. Yet, you do, because you believe the people that have taught them to you. Moreover, you seem to have absolute faith in them.
Ok, lets stay on track.... I didn't say I had to touch it or experience it. I said I want indisputable proof. Thats all. This proof exists for Asia, atoms, Ceasar etc.... The people who taught it, experienced it. It's real. It can be touched (sans Ceasar :lol:).

Again, you or anyone else cannot provide this proof that a God exists and I cannot provide that he does not. Simple.

Mikeinsmd

Homesick said:
:lol: :nono: You've got it wrong, Mike. I do not "debate" on this subject. Its not really a debate, I see it more as people sharing what they believe. I responded to your post for it seemed everyone else passed it by, I wanted to give you a chance to come into the conversation or let you get off whats on your chest. I wished you good luck, as in meaning in life, in all things. You posted words I did not write, show me where I said "you're going to need it". Truly the words you've written come to me as words I thought or said myself in the past. I can't or none here can turn a switch on for you, wish it to be that simple. I use to wish someone could. But that is where I was wrong, I was asking humans, when I needed to be talking with God. Believe me when I tell you I have just begun to stand up, when 2nd and others here have been walking. I have been where you are now, one reason I do not throw scripture, or "debate" as you call it. Because I know there is no sense to it. I can't make you see what I see and know now. Funny to me, I use to look at the words of believers and say "they all say the same thing, over and over again" not making any sense whatsoever, they're looney! And how can they believe in a God that lets so many terrible things happen to innocents. Where is He when I'm being mistreated. I cannot finish this, I just finish in saying He was there all along, I just did not seek Him. You don't believe, I do. We can leave it at that.
I wasn't quoting you specifically, just what I have heard in the past. I also don't have anything on my chest. I saw an opportunity to chime into a debate and took it. It is a debate. A fun, friendly debate (the best kind). I believe I made many valid, unanswerable points in my other posts. You are correct, no one can flip a switch and change my mind.

Goofing_Off

Mikeinsmd said:
Again, you or anyone else cannot provide this proof that a God exists and I cannot provide that he does not. Simple.

I agree, there is no proof. However, if you examined things that you do believe in, I'd be willing to bet there is no proof to a great many things you hold as fact. If that is true, then I'm merely making the observation that it shouldn't be a stretch to believe in religious teachings. That's all. I tend to believe that faith is a normal state in our life, not just the province of religious people.

Moreover, for something to be indisputable, it does have to be tangible. A person can dispute anything, no matter how silly the argument, until he personally experiences it with his senses. In fact, there are some philosophers who have said that even the senses themselves cannot be trusted, but I'll leave that one to people more wise than myself.

Mikeinsmd

Goofing_Off said:
I agree, there is no proof. However, if you examined things that you do believe in, I'd be willing to bet there is no proof to a great many things you hold as fact. If that is true, then I'm merely making the observation that it shouldn't be a stretch to believe in religious teachings. That's all. I tend to believe that faith is a normal state in our life, not just the province of religious people. Moreover, for something to be indisputable, it does have to be tangible. A person can dispute anything, no matter how silly the argument, until he personally experiences it with his senses. In fact, there are some philosophers who have said that even the senses themselves cannot be trusted, but I'll leave that one to people more wise than myself.
Well instead of getting into the philosophies of whether or not the sky really is blue, lets keep to the common sense items such as I've never been to the moon but I know it's there.... :lmao:

dustin

UAIOE
elaine said:
Ooh! I have a question.

If there is really a god, why didn't he reveal himself to me in the same way he revealed himself to all of you believers? I had the same faith, I prayed, I was saved. I did everything all of you did. There was no doubt at the time that there was a god. :shrug:
Maybe he still has a plan for you further down the road... :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
elaine said:
Mike, I spent the better part of my life searching, believing and having faith. I really believed there was a god. I still saw no miracles.
Let the atheist answer:

Because you didn't believe. If you truly believed, you'd see miracles around every corner, trust me. I have a friend that thinks it's a miracle when she gets to her destination in one piece. And considering the way she drives, maybe it is. When there's an accident somewhere remotely close to where she either was or was considering being, she says that angels were on her shoulder looking out for her and keeping her safe. A miracle.

She believes. You don't.