Infant not breathing Cove Point Park Pool

TWLs wife

MMDad said:
Rumor I heard is that the 16 YO mom walked down the steps into the pool with the baby on her hip. Didn't notice that the baby was under water until it was too late.

It'll be interesting to see if we hear anything else.
OMG! :faint: Poor baby. The mother is young to be a parent.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
MMDad said:
Rumor I heard is that the 16 YO mom walked down the steps into the pool with the baby on her hip. Didn't notice that the baby was under water until it was too late.

It'll be interesting to see if we hear anything else.

WTF?

Didn't notice?

nicole_M

My sister and 2 of her friends were @ the pool today when it happened...She called me and told me about it -

She says that not the mother, but a friend had the baby and the girl went under WITH the baby, and when she came back up the baby was limp, the mother ran and took the baby from the other lady and took him to the lifeguard who did not know CPR or what to do she said...So the lifeguard called one of the Parks & Recs guys and he is the one who did CPR.

My sis said they stayed in the ambulance for 15 minutes until the helicopter came.....

She did say that the mother looked VERY young, just a little older than her (14). I was so shocked and she was pretty shook up about it. I'll have to let her know in the am that the baby made it.

I don't know if infact the lifeguard didn't know what to do but my sister said she wa just panicking and did not act like she knew what to do.

Prayers to all involved...that poor poor child.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
This is terrible ~ Prayers for the poor child...

I may be somewhat cynical in saying this, but it wouldn't surprise me if some lawyer picks up on this rendering of the story (if it's true) & next thing is a lawsuit.
I always thought CPR was requisite to fulfilling the responsibilities of a life-guard.

K

Kain99

SEABREEZE 1957 said:

I may be somewhat cynical in saying this, but it wouldn't surprise me if some lawyer picks up on this rendering of the story (if it's true) & next thing is a lawsuit.
I always thought CPR was requisite to fulfilling the responsibilities of a life-guard.
Maybe the training doesnt cover infants. God.... Who could even imagine.

nicole_M

SEABREEZE 1957 said:

Yes, I know. It's the world we live in today though. I do not know how true it is, just sharing what I was told. I certainly believe that they are all fully trained in infant and adult CPR....I am also CPR certified (since having my oldest 4 years ago) but often wonder if I would freeze up if something happened. There is so much going on and not much time to react.

Just happy ot hear the baby is alive and hoping for no trauma from this incident.

MMDad

Lem Putt
SEABREEZE 1957 said:

The lifeguards are all fully trained. That doesn't mean that they had the presence of mind to be able to use their training when it matters. There would be about 10 lifeguards there, so I doubt all of them froze.

I've seen highly trained people freeze when they needed to act. After extensive firefighting training, I froze when faced with my first real fire. It happens. Fortunately I didn't freeze when it came time for me to heimlich my own son.

I don't see a lawsuit succeeding. If the story is right, the negligence here was either the mother or friend. The baby was revived, which tells me that the lifeguards probably did do their job.

aanderson

MMDad said:
The lifeguards are all fully trained. That doesn't mean that they had the presence of mind to be able to use their training when it matters. There would be about 10 lifeguards there, so I doubt all of them froze.

I've seen highly trained people freeze when they needed to act. After extensive firefighting training, I froze when faced with my first real fire. It happens. Fortunately I didn't freeze when it came time for me to heimlich my own son.

I don't see a lawsuit succeeding. If the story is right, the negligence here was either the mother or friend. The baby was revived, which tells me that the lifeguards probably did do their job.

I froze when my son started choking and needed the heimlich (thank God my husband didn't), so I can understand a young (usually the ones at these pools are high schoolers) lifeguard freezing when being faced with a non-breathing 2 month old.

Oh and BTW...I had my first son when I was young (17) and never put him in a situation like this. I'm not supporting kids having kids but don't always blame the parents age...sometimes it is just plain stupidity that causes things like this. And even adults can be totally stupid!!!

I'm just saying...

Prayers for the baby and mother!

nicole_moreland said:
Yes, I know. It's the world we live in today though. I do not know how true it is, just sharing what I was told. I certainly believe that they are all fully trained in infant and adult CPR....I am also CPR certified (since having my oldest 4 years ago) but often wonder if I would freeze up if something happened. There is so much going on and not much time to react.

Just happy ot hear the baby is alive and hoping for no trauma from this incident.

Because of my job, I was trained in CPR for adults and infants. I've never had to use it (thank God), but sitting here trying to think of the steps to follow is hard to remember. That being said, I don't think I wouldn't attempt to try it in a life and death situation.

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
Question

I was over at Patuxant Elem during the time this incident went down and noted no less then 3 news helicopters circling what I believe the general vicinity. At the time I got the impression our area was dealing with some major news story to have these type resources directed. Other then the baby at the pool did something else happen thats not being reported?

Speedy70 said:
Because of my job, I was trained in CPR for adults and infants. I've never had to use it (thank God), but sitting here trying to think of the steps to follow is hard to remember. That being said, I don't think I wouldn't attempt to try it in a life and death situation.
When would you try it?

Last edited:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I find this whole thing disterbing....

A friend was holding my son when he was young and gave him a cookie..he choked she handed him back..I put his stomach/chest on my knee and hit him in the back a few times...cookie came up..I took him to the dr and I had even bruised his back...Dr was good and said you gotta do something..I just think I would try I mean it cant be too different then giving CPR to a puppy :lmao:

bohman

nicole_moreland said:
She says that not the mother, but a friend had the baby and the girl went under WITH the baby, and when she came back up the baby was limp, the mother ran and took the baby from the other lady and took him to the lifeguard who did not know CPR or what to do she said...So the lifeguard called one of the Parks & Recs guys and he is the one who did CPR.

My sis said they stayed in the ambulance for 15 minutes until the helicopter came.....

With caretakers like that, this poor kid has a long road ahead. Good luck to him. He'll grow up tough, if he makes it.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
High EGT said:
I was over at Patuxant Elem during the time this incident went down and noted no less then 3 news helicopters circling what I believe the general vicinity. At the time I got the impression our area was dealing with some major news story to have these type resources directed. Other then the baby at the pool did something else happen thats not being reported?

SOMD has gotten on the radar of D.C. news stations, the stabbing in P.F. a few weeks back had several news helos hovering for it.

B

Bronwyn

Saw the MSP helicopter circling around the park around 6 p.m. yesterday. Didn't have a clue as to what happened until I got to work this morning. I just hope that the baby comes out alright!

SoMDGirl42

I only wonder if the child had hypothermia. It's early in the year, the water is still cold and at only 2 months old there is a possibility the child could not retain his own body heat. I've seen a child as young as 5 loose conciousness from pool related hypothermia.