Infant not breathing Cove Point Park Pool

S

shiki

My son was at the pool that day. He came home very upset and said that a baby had died. Of course I was shocked and upset as well. I was relieved to hear the next day that the child had made it and was only kept for a few hours.

I hope this was a wakeup call to the mom and all in the community just how quick something terrible can happen. When my son was telling me about the incident he referred to the infant as our baby, and I said did you just refer to that baby as "our baby"? and he said, yes, it is our baby...it's a baby of the community. And he is totally right.

I'm glad for baby and mother and everyone that the baby made it.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I heard another person was pulled from the water and CPR in progress. Did anyone hear anything else?

warneckutz

MMDad said:
I heard another person was pulled from the water and CPR in progress. Did anyone hear anything else?

Yeah, they did CPR on the guy, seemed to be OK, but then they had to go back to doing it and then the EMT unit arrived and pushed everyone to the other side of the pool grounds.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
aanderson said:
Oh and BTW...I had my first son when I was young (17) and never put him in a situation like this. I'm not supporting kids having kids but don't always blame the parents age...sometimes it is just plain stupidity that causes things like this. And even adults can be totally stupid!!!

I'm just saying...

Prayers for the baby and mother!

ok babies having babies has been going on since the beginning of man kind.

its way better than babies having abortions.

and I guess I musta been one of those bad parents cause I did not hesitate to take my 2 month olds in the pool with me. they seemed to really enjoy it.

of course I kept there heads above the water line

MMDad

Lem Putt
warneckutz said:
Yeah, they did CPR on the guy, seemed to be OK, but then they had to go back to doing it and then the EMT unit arrived and pushed everyone to the other side of the pool grounds.

Was it an adult?

Pooh31

MMDad said:
Was it an adult?

I was at Cove Point today for the baseball tournament, I was told that it was a guy.
It was a hot day out there today, we had to call the ambulance for the umpire that was calling the game today, I was afraid the kids were gonna get heat stroke or something, but coaches and parents did a great job of keeping the kids cooled off.

robbie

We went yesterday. I drive from Waldorf because its such a great pool. I wish Charles co. could get the hint and build one or two of these.
One lady did loose her son a few times. He was no older than two, if that. She would turn around and yell "where is he" and we would tell her. Once he was half way up the steps to the slide when someone pulled him off. They make portable play pens you can put them in with some toys when your not in the water with them and let them play. Put it in the shade.
Its a shame when two or three other people know where your kid is at before you do.

aanderson

Dougstermd said:
ok babies having babies has been going on since the beginning of man kind.

its way better than babies having abortions.

and I guess I musta been one of those bad parents cause I did not hesitate to take my 2 month olds in the pool with me. they seemed to really enjoy it.

of course I kept there heads above the water line

I was not saying that you shouldn't take a 2 month old baby to the pool...I took my kids to the pool when they were young too. I was saying that it wasn't the mother's age that made her not pay attention to whether or not her child's head was about the water line...it was her IQ level.

I didn't mean to offend anyone.

robbie

Thats what you do with the money it makes. You know it would get used!!
If someone manages it rights. Smallwood is well taken care of but just doesn't have much for kids to do and is very expensive.

MMDad

Lem Putt
robbie said:
Thats what you do with the money it makes. You know it would get used!!
If someone manages it rights. Smallwood is well taken care of but just doesn't have much for kids to do and is very expensive.

The Great Mills pool is running in the red. The Cove Point pool probably does also. Pools do not make money or there would be businesses opening them.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
MMDad said:
The Great Mills pool is running in the red. The Cove Point pool probably does also. Pools do not make money or there would be businesses opening them.

That is what I am thinking too, I was trying to figure it out last week when my family went. It was $22 for 5 of us. Then they had concessions that are priced pretty high.

But then I was looking at all the staff they had on hand and I thought no way is this place making any money. They must have 20+ people staffed at that pool at any given time.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
aanderson said:
I was not saying that you shouldn't take a 2 month old baby to the pool...I took my kids to the pool when they were young too. I was saying that it wasn't the mother's age that made her not pay attention to whether or not her child's head was about the water line...it was her IQ level.

I didn't mean to offend anyone.

no offense taken. I just saw a bunch of people dogging the mother for her age.

and several ppes sayin they would not take a two month in the pool

sarahblk

Sleep Deprived
MMDad said:

Yeah we were there yesterday. I couldn't see the mans face but he was over weight..not sure if he had a heart attack or what? It was adult swim so most people were out of the pool.

It was unbelievable how people gathered around to watch with their children like it was a free show or something. There was a man not breathing, possible dying and everyone just stood around watching.

We gathered our things and left as the medics were arriving. Just couldn't see myself getting back in water and having a good time after that.

sheila@flythrou

Regarding the man pulled out of the pool on 7-8-07

According to my mother who was there on Sunday with my sisters and families, the man is still alive, but in ICU still fighting pnumonia and possible brain damage from the loss of oxygen to the brain.
A prayer request went out from a fellow co-worker at her office, and it was her coworker's brother, Scott. Apparently he fainted in the pool and because everyone thought he was just fooling around, they were not alarmed until he had been under long enought to take in quite a bit of water. As of yesterday he had not regained consciousness.
My mother tells me that it was utter chaos at the pool when this happened and she was convinced that none of the lifeguards knew what they were doing. In retrospect, it may just have been that everyone was so distraught that it was hard for them to do the CPR for the first time on a real person, and also, it probably seemed worse than it really was for all the spectators who had to witness this. My mother is still very upset at what she saw.
So, please pray for Scott and his family. There is always hope.

purplepassion

Lovin' Life
sheila@flythrou said:
According to my mother who was there on Sunday with my sisters and families, the man is still alive, but in ICU still fighting pnumonia and possible brain damage from the loss of oxygen to the brain.
A prayer request went out from a fellow co-worker at her office, and it was her coworker's brother, Scott. Apparently he fainted in the pool and because everyone thought he was just fooling around, they were not alarmed until he had been under long enought to take in quite a bit of water. As of yesterday he had not regained consciousness.
My mother tells me that it was utter chaos at the pool when this happened and she was convinced that none of the lifeguards knew what they were doing. In retrospect, it may just have been that everyone was so distraught that it was hard for them to do the CPR for the first time on a real person, and also, it probably seemed worse than it really was for all the spectators who had to witness this. My mother is still very upset at what she saw.
So, please pray for Scott and his family. There is always hope.

I am neighbor's with Scott's children. Unfortunately it has really devistated them. I am worried as much about them as I am about Scott. My prayers have been with him ever since Marquita told me about it.

jmalhere

purplepassion said:
I am neighbor's with Scott's children. Unfortunately it has really devistated them. I am worried as much about them as I am about Scott. My prayers have been with him ever since Marquita told me about it.

If at all possible, do you think you could keep me updated with his condition? I am actually the one who responded first to him in the water and pulled him out... it's been really hard this past week not knowing what has happened. Him and his family have been in my thoughts and prayers.

Also, to clarify, there were EMT's there that day at the pool. They, as well as the lifeguards, helped me get him out of the water with a backboard. The EMT's immediately started CPR and there was nothing else the lifeguards could have done other than keep everyone else calm and supply the EMTs with anything else they needed. I'm not a lifeguard at that pool, but I am in charles county, and we refresh our skills and knowlegde of saving people on a regular basis. In this case, since the actual lifeguards weren't the first to respond or know what was going on, it must have been very confusing. I don't think they should be judged or at fault for any of it. It just goes to show that you need to be prepared at all times, even during adult swim when you don't think something like that would happen.