Is the bar scene turning audiences away?

What would you say is a better alternative venue to the bar/night club scene?

• Total voters

wwwsmmonet

Is the bar scene...

Ok, here's another question.

If there was a new local band that played only original music, and they decided to have free concerts to promote their material in a non-bar atmosphere around the Southern Maryland area, would you be more inclined to go see them, if you knew it was within the genre of your type of music, what made you decide to go see that band perform?

wwwsmmonet

Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!
That's what I have been waiting to hear. Would you be willing to say that if you have heard one band in Southern Maryland, you have basically heard them all?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SmallTown said:
Maybe it has nothing to do with the "bar scene". Maybe the particular bands in question just suck
There's that part of it, too. Like VV said, blues and jazz are good bets because of the crowd that type of music attracts. Classic rock is a good pick, as is rockabilly Bill Kirchen type music. :billkirchenisgod:

But the kids like what they consider dance music and they like whatever's Top 40 at the moment. I hate that crap. So Music Dude is probably really addressing his question to the younger folks on this forum.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
And I hope you will not make a pitch for Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey :razz:
And what is wrong with Swing and Big Band, lil' missy?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
wwwsmmonet said:
they decided to have free concerts to promote their material in a non-bar atmosphere around the Southern Maryland area,
I like a bar and I like food. Outdoor concerts are okay except typically you can't drink and they almost always frown on smoking.

Plus the music should be a backdrop to the socializing. If you're Van Halen, okay - people will pay rapt attention to the music. But if you're a local band, you're the background. So don't crank it up or you'll just piss us off and we'll leave because we can't have a conversation while you're making a racket.

wwwsmmonet

Ken King said:
I hope the music you are making isn't as annoying as this thread. :biggrin:

I assure you, this has nothing to do with the music my band makes, but, that has nothing to do with what I am doing right now, so, please don't lead into something else that is not the current topic. The music my band makes is a whole different subject, though it is originals, our music is maintained to a standard so we can satisfy both younger and older crowds.

What I am simply trying to do is find out where the over all audience decline is coming from. You know, I've been in this business for 25 years and I have a seen a sharp decline in audience s in the past 10 years. My goal is try and figure out why, is it the bands themselves, or is it the "atmosphere", just looking for all the opinions I can get, maybe draw a conclusion someday. I would hope that I am dealing with intelligent, mature replies, it's not a question for smart remarks.

I am simply doing some research to satisfy my own curiosity and, well... what a better place to start that a local forum, with locals, who are obviously interested in the local scene, why else would you be here?

wwwsmmonet

Is the bar scene...

vraiblonde said:
I like a bar and I like food. Outdoor concerts are okay except typically you can't drink and they almost always frown on smoking.

Plus the music should be a backdrop to the socializing. If you're Van Halen, okay - people will pay rapt attention to the music. But if you're a local band, you're the background. So don't crank it up or you'll just piss us off and we'll leave because we can't have a conversation while you're making a racket.

I appreciate your honest opinions. This is the very type of feedback I am looking for.

Let's say, if I were in a band and my audience attendences were poor, I'd surely want to know what I could do to better the numbers at the next gig. Well, part of the goal of SMMO is to do just that, make the scene more enjoyable for the audiences and provide something the audiences want, plus increase the bands audience by doing research. Most bands assume the audiences were doing something on a much bigger scale, but, honestly, I think there is much more to the problem that just that.

wwwsmmonet

Is the bar scene...

I appreciate everyones input, I gotta run, but, I will be available on Yahoo and AOL: wwwsmmonet, for further contact.

Please be sure to visit "OUR" site sometime and have a look around, there's plenty of message boards and such to keep you busy, and we're always looking for audience feedback regarding the music scene here in SoMd.

Ken King

PREMO Member
wwwsmmonet said:
I assure you, this has nothing to do with the music my band makes, but, that has nothing to do with what I am doing right now, so, please don't lead into something else that is not the current topic. The music my band makes is a whole different subject, though it is originals, our music is maintained to a standard so we can satisfy both younger and older crowds.

What I am simply trying to do is find out where the over all audience decline is coming from. You know, I've been in this business for 25 years and I have a seen a sharp decline in audience s in the past 10 years. My goal is try and figure out why, is it the bands themselves, or is it the "atmosphere", just looking for all the opinions I can get, maybe draw a conclusion someday. I would hope that I am dealing with intelligent, mature replies, it's not a question for smart remarks.

I am simply doing some research to satisfy my own curiosity and, well... what a better place to start that a local forum, with locals, who are obviously interested in the local scene, why else would you be here?
Well it's pretty fricking simple where the decline has come from, and I have never been "in the business". One would think that someone with your vast experience would know the answers already. But here’s my take.

First, I would say that the aggressive enforcement of drinking and driving violations has kept many from going out much. Along with the BS from unruly intoxicated customers that think of nothing but their enjoyment even if it detracts from that of the others.

Second, the younger clientele of music today likes loud noise and indecipherable lyrics. The stuff that causes nose-bleeds and headaches that many newer groups go for. This segregates the populace and makes many not want to be around it. As touched on by vraiblonde many folk go out to socialize more then to be a groupie for an obnoxiously loud band.

Third, the locations themselves in this area do not lend well for drawing a large crowd. A band and 30 or 40 people and the places are packed. It used to be that dances were dances held in halls and bars were bars. You want to draw a crowd, rent a hall that can handle it and do a BYOB type of event or a catered bar.

Finally, as to some of your remarks, as this is an open forum I will respond as I see fit and will not coddle to your expectations. Maybe since you didn’t realize the reasons for down fall you might want to venture into something else.

Bogart

wwwsmmonet said:
I do post under several names though, so, don't let this name fool you. I have accounts for all my business ventures, including my band. SoMdMusician
SoMdMusician is a pretty queer name for a band. Maybe that is why no one shows up?

donbarzini

vraiblonde said:
I, personally, don't go to many live music venues because I'm 41 years old and not interested in a bunch of 20-somethings and their drama and fights, not to mention their drugs. I tend to like restaurants that have live entertainment rather than a club because the crowd is older.

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :cheers:

Bogart

wwwsmmonet said:
The music my band makes is a whole different subject, though it is originals, our music is maintained to a standard so we can satisfy both younger and older crowds.
There you go. LCD music just pisses off everyone.

wwwsmmonet

Ken King said:
Well it's pretty fricking simple where the decline has come from, and I have never been "in the business". One would think that someone with your vast experience would know the answers already. But here’s my take.

First, I would say that the aggressive enforcement of drinking and driving violations has kept many from going out much. Along with the BS from unruly intoxicated customers that think of nothing but their enjoyment even if it detracts from that of the others.

Second, the younger clientele of music today likes loud noise and indecipherable lyrics. The stuff that causes nose-bleeds and headaches that many newer groups go for. This segregates the populace and makes many not want to be around it. As touched on by vraiblonde many folk go out to socialize more then to be a groupie for an obnoxiously loud band.

Third, the locations themselves in this area do not lend well for drawing a large crowd. A band and 30 or 40 people and the places are packed. It used to be that dances were dances held in halls and bars were bars. You want to draw a crowd, rent a hall that can handle it and do a BYOB type of event or a catered bar.

Finally, as to some of your remarks, as this is an open forum I will respond as I see fit and will not coddle to your expectations. Maybe since you didn’t realize the reasons for down fall you might want to venture into something else.

I certainly agree with alot of what you say. As for the "venturing into something else" part, I pretty much know the answers to my questions, but, I am not one to say I am correct on all counts, I make an effort to validate my theories, therefore, I post, and you reply, your replies tell me what I want to know. I know there will sarcastic remarks made, and most of that comes from those who don't fully understand the topic, but, prefer to assume, so I get what I need from what is said.

mainman

Set Trippin
wwwsmmonet said:
the 1 out of 126,000 visitors that makes that comment, I'll get rid of it for you.
Maybe I am the first one that had an open forum to say it in or the balls, either way don't bother, I won't be visiting again...:yay:

Ken King

PREMO Member
mainman said:
Maybe I am the first one that had an open forum to say it in or the balls, either way don't bother, I won't be visiting again...:yay:
:killingme