Is the bar scene turning audiences away?

What would you say is a better alternative venue to the bar/night club scene?

• Total voters

Fishn Guy

That's Dr. Fishn to you..
Goofing_Off said:
I've never heard of them, either, and I've lived here all of my life.
It's not a them... It's a linky in hollowsoul's siggy line.

It's his own creation. Needs mid range work.

drumrob

nomoney said:
I personally do not like going to bars on live music night because its so dayum loud. You end up just sitting at a table screaming at the people you come with trying to have a convo; and laughing at the band's bar hag that walks around with their little books to sign and crap.

I just wanted to touch on something real quick about the "bar hag who would like for you to sign the book". It's really important for the band to get certain information from the audiences who are willing to offer it up. It brings us to the statement that SamSpade made in his post:

#1 reason - I have no idea they're there. Advertising. I have no way of knowing about it, short of walking up to the door and asking "who's that?".

This is the reason bands offer to have to you sign up for their newsletters, so they can inform you of where they will be, if you liked the band you saw, then sign the book, if not, don't, atleast when the bands you liked are playing out somewhere, you'll know where not to go.

See, the bands that ask you to sign their book are doing it to help you out, There is no reason for anyone to feel uncomfortable about giving a band their email addresses/ cell phone numbers (for text gig notices), instant messenger screen names, or any of that stuff, they simply want to provide a route to connect to the audience, they hold their email databases tight like fort knox, why give away free direct marketing info to another band... kinda stupid huh?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
When I think of bars in this area, for the most part I think of crowds, noise, and drunks.

I don't like large crowds, although I do go to some large events in the DC area a couple of the times a year and suffer through. Most places around here pack you in. They are not large enough to handle the amount of people.

Music doesn't have to be played loud to be good. I'd prefer someplace where I could enjoy the music and still hold a conversation without shouting.

The drunks are obnoxious and EVERYWHERE. I don't want to be around screaming, fighting, and the rest of the crap that goes on. Sorry, I just don't want to go somewhere where I fear for my life or getting hurt.

Give me someplace where I could enjoy a live band, dancing, good food, and great conversation. I'd be in absolute heaven. :smile:

drumrob

vraiblonde said:
You're kidding???? You've never heard of HollowSoul???

You must be new to the east coast.

well no, I was born in the Leonardtown hospital that isn't there anymore, so, I've been here awhile... LOL

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
jazz lady said:
I don't want to be around screaming, fighting, and the rest of the crap that goes on.
And I'll add to that that I don't like to have to fight my way into the bathroom because of all the drama mamas that hang out in there talking about which chick is going to get her ass kicked for talking to someone else's boyfriend. If the average age is 25, it's unlikely you will see me there.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
And I'll add to that that I don't like to have to fight my way into the bathroom because of all the drama mamas that hang out in there talking about which chick is going to get her ass kicked for talking to someone else's boyfriend. If the average age is 25, it's unlikely you will see me there.
Amen sista! :high5:

H

HollowSoul

drumrob said:
Have you been any bands in the area? I don't recall hearing the name Hollowsoul, just curious. Rob
I was in "tainted reality" about 2 and a hlf years ago, we really didn't do much but jam....
so your answer would be no I haven't been in any

Tomcat

Anytime
CAUTION: long rambling response. Since NMCI is acting up it will probably take me forever to post, so here it goes.
Very interesting thread, for those of you who don’t know me, I’ve worked at a local bar here in St.Marys for the past 18 years. I usually don’t post anything about it or what’s going on since I don’t want to be thought of as advertising for free on the forums, or anything like that. I do post in the calendar section though. I can see where the person who started this thread has good intentions, yet like most of you have already said he came to the wrong place. I’ve received e-mails from him promoting his SoMdMusicians web site but it seems to be a self-serving site for his own band. ½ the bands and venues listed don’t even exist anymore. Maybe if he kept it updated it would be a more valuable site. I find it interesting that those of you who voted would like more outdoor concerts. Unfortunately in a few more months winter will be here and that won’t work. I don’t know how to reply about the smoking issue, some don’t want to go to a bar because of the smoke, while others want to because they can smoke. I’m a non-smoker (unless you count second hand smoke) and would love to see no smoking in bars, but realize that’s not practical from an economic standpoint for us. Other than smoke eaters and fans, I don’t know what else to do. I’d be willing to bet that 99% of the smokers here can’t smoke at work, would it be that hard to go outside at a bar to smoke? Take your drink/beer with you? Be able to listen to the music? I’d love to hear some feed back on that. Next subject- Drunk, rowdy young un’s…we don’t cater to that crowd because of the problems, most of the places that do have the cops there several times a night. Should we change the sign on the door to read, “Must be 30 or older to enter “ instead of 21? LOL. Don’t really know what to do about them except responsible bartending. It was mentioned to Vrai about us having a get together similar to last weeks, however I don’t want to be thought of as a copycat. Maybe a super secret forum get together for Happy Hour instead of lunch, or after reading this thread, some sort of band night with specials for forum members? Maybe we could even get a special performance by HollowSoul?

H

HollowSoul

Tomcat said:
CAUTION: long rambling response. Since NMCI is acting up it will probably take me forever to post, so here it goes.
Very interesting thread, for those of you who don’t know me, I’ve worked at a local bar here in St.Marys for the past 18 years. I usually don’t post anything about it or what’s going on since I don’t want to be thought of as advertising for free on the forums, or anything like that. I do post in the calendar section though. I can see where the person who started this thread has good intentions, yet like most of you have already said he came to the wrong place. I’ve received e-mails from him promoting his SoMdMusicians web site but it seems to be a self-serving site for his own band. ½ the bands and venues listed don’t even exist anymore. Maybe if he kept it updated it would be a more valuable site. I find it interesting that those of you who voted would like more outdoor concerts. Unfortunately in a few more months winter will be here and that won’t work. I don’t know how to reply about the smoking issue, some don’t want to go to a bar because of the smoke, while others want to because they can smoke. I’m a non-smoker (unless you count second hand smoke) and would love to see no smoking in bars, but realize that’s not practical from an economic standpoint for us. Other than smoke eaters and fans, I don’t know what else to do. I’d be willing to bet that 99% of the smokers here can’t smoke at work, would it be that hard to go outside at a bar to smoke? Take your drink/beer with you? Be able to listen to the music? I’d love to hear some feed back on that. Next subject- Drunk, rowdy young un’s…we don’t cater to that crowd because of the problems, most of the places that do have the cops there several times a night. Should we change the sign on the door to read, “Must be 30 or older to enter “ instead of 21? LOL. Don’t really know what to do about them except responsible bartending. It was mentioned to Vrai about us having a get together similar to last weeks, however I don’t want to be thought of as a copycat. Maybe a super secret forum get together for Happy Hour instead of lunch, or after reading this thread, some sort of band night with specials for forum members? Maybe we could even get a special performance by HollowSoul?

:yikes: the pressure of a SOLO PERFORMANCE!

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
wwwsmmonet said:
I am really curious to know, from everyone, why do you not go to a bar or night club to see live bands perform? What is the exact turn-off for you in your decision to not go see a live band in a local Southern Maryland bar?

I agree with Vrai for the most part about the socializing aspect. When the band is so loud that they're near blowing their speakers, it really detracts from the experience.

The other reason I don't go to clubs or bars around here to listen to music is because the clubs and bars are trash! Owners invest little in their place of business, and most of the ones that I've been to around here smell of spilled beer, urine, body odor, rotting wood or carpet, and dead bugs. It also appears that a lot of them don't even bother with cleaning. There's also usually no seating and the place gets crammed so tight you can't move.

It's gross. And the bathrooms are even worse.

I'd much rather go to outdoor gigs that are spacious, usually have plenty of seating, be it on the grass or on benches, have fresh air, and are open so that the sound dissipates and I can hear the guy standing next to me.

Last edited:

Fishn Guy

That's Dr. Fishn to you..
I believe that outdoor gigs are the best. Number one, People are not all packed together hot and nasty, If ya wanna smoke, go smoke. Plus, Your range of tone and how your rig sounds is a whole lot better(in my opinion) outside than in.Alot of times an outdoor gig will help you hide your playing sins, More people can watch and enjoy, Even from a distance. Even at night. I think some of the most fun I've had at bars with bands is when the band played outside. Plus, If you have a good performance lined up, it feels alot better to jam in the cool night air than it does in a stuffy bar any day.

2. Families- People can bring families to outdoor gigs and not really to indoor gigs.

H

HollowSoul

drumrob said:
I have to agree that outdoor venues, currently, have the number one spot, BUT, as Tomcat said about the winter time thing, what'cha you gonna do then?

Personally, I think if there were more summer months outdoor concerts, and they would obviously be a huge hit in the area (look at my poll), people would have the opportunity to take advantage of the outdoor festivities, and in the winter months, they either suffer through a bar or just spend time with the family.

Maybe some of the lower / middle class bar / nightclub owners will read these posts and realize they might need to consider cleaning house, or taking advantage of what "YOU" the public is saying about the bar / night club scene around here, Badda-Bing! See the point of this is to make the music scene better ( bands get the message, bars get the message, audiences get the message) when people open their mouths and make comments suggestions, and opinions to the public, things change, nothing is gonna change if you say it to yourself, whose gonna hear the message?

These forums are getting the message out that bars are not cutting it around here, fortunately, I opened my mouth to start getting the points made and the audiences to opinionate... so, hopefully the bars / night clubs will wake up. If your a bar / nightlub owner and you're curious what people might be saying about your business, this is the smart place to come right? after all it is directed to this forum, this is where they would find the information in Southern Maryland. So, if you would like to see the outdoor concerts fall and the bars take over again... let the bar / nightclub owners know, JUSTSAY IT!

I'm sorry, most bars are not cutting it, I have been to TomCats Place a few times, and that is one of the much better ones in the area... CUDOS! Now, lets get Hollowsoul up on that stage, maybe my band can back him one night.
out of curiosity, what is the name of your band?
Does your band have a website?

drumrob

HollowSoul said:
out of curiosity, what is the name of your band?
Does your band have a website?

My bands name is Bracer, we don't have a website yet, we're in the process of putting that together right now.